Sponsored

Manual Transmission Trailer tow package... how i just learned i paid $645 for a hitch receiver and nothing else.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So the trailer tow package is:
1. 240 amp alternator
2. class 4 receiver
3. engine cooling
4. trailer hitch zoom

Number 1 it already comes with my switch package (already knew)
Number 2 is nice, but easily bought and installed myself. Can even do it without drilling by taking the rear bumper off.
Number 3 i have been told is standard on the mojave (not 100% sure on this one, but i believed it to be true, and believed so before ordering)
Number 4 is not available with manual transmission with the 8.4 unless you also have front trail cam? What logical sense does that make? You can have it on manual... unless you have the wrong radio... then you can get it back with an option that is completely unrelated?

I picked a $645 package that i assumed I'd get 2 useful things out of, but I just discovered i'd only get 1.

So, can anyone definitively refute point 3 (research here has shown mixed results) so maybe at least I can feel a little less taken advantage of? Or confirm it so I know i wasted money and can berate myself for poor reading skills?
You are right. Its not worth it. I posted similar point several months ago in November when I ordered my Mojave.

Except back then I think my cost was more like 450 for nothing more than a $240 receiver and a camera zoom function.

Its a complete rip off. I shouldn't have gotten it. Especially when around Christmas I found the Mopar receiver on sale for $219.

My very similar thread:
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/tow-package-on-a-mojave-is-it-worth-it.50095/
Sponsored

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
if i bought it with the idea of not towing, i wouldn't have gotten the tow package. I bought it with the idea of towing rarely. You know, the exact type of person who would benefit from a hitch zoom, someone who never does it often enough to gain the experience to not need that feature.

I've been towing regularly for 30+ years and can get my hitch under the tongue just fine. I have no "need" for the zoom. BUT - Now that I've got it I never want to buy another new truck without it. Kind of like the back up camera itself - I think zoom is one of the handiest new things out there. I think most of us can appreciate and desire it no matter the experience level.

OP
OP
Rahkmalla

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I will say that when I noticed the overlap on several different packages like this, I brought it up to my dealer, and they had their ordering guy print out a detailed numbers sheet- the online configurator is sketchy and approximate, but when you actually go onto the build, those overlaps should be balanced out, and the actual numbers adjusted. Mine were.
I'm not going based on the online B&P. I posted an annotated version of my Price Order Confirmation from my dealer in this thread. No price adjustments for package overlap or missing features.

BaliMawr

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTMT, 2004 R1150GS, 1979 R100
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Art Teacher, Blacksmith
I'm not going based on the online B&P. I posted an annotated version of my Price Order Confirmation from my dealer in this thread. No price adjustments for package overlap or missing features.
Wow. Best case scenario, it's negligence on their part (I say without full background knowledge).

Hasted

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
Occupation
ASL Interpreter/ Teacher
Number 4 is not available with manual transmission with the 8.4 unless you also have front trail cam? What logical sense does that make? You can have it on manual... unless you have the wrong radio... then you can get it back with an option that is completely unrelated?
I just went out and double checked before posting, but my Manual Mojave with 8.4 DOES zoom. (No trail cam)

I can zoom when in reverse. There is no zoom option for me if I just bring up my cam from the apps page, though.

Have you checked when in reverse?

Edit: Speaking of Manual Mojave, are you able to use your lockers in 4HI at all? I have seen many do it, but all have been auto.

Sponsored

Kblanton

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys Sport S
Occupation
Sales
Just to add more mystery I have a stick Willys and the 5" screen. Zoom is there and works fine. I too have been towing for years and can drive anything you got but the zoom for hitting a bumper mounted ball is great.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Edit: Speaking of Manual Mojave, are you able to use your lockers in 4HI at all? I have seen many do it, but all have been auto.
I do it all the time (manual). You just have to turn the stability and traction control off first, regardless of transmission type.
edit: you have to be a stop to turn tc/stability full off.

Hasted

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
Occupation
ASL Interpreter/ Teacher
I do it all the time (manual). You just have to turn the stability and traction control off first, regardless of transmission type.
Huh, well mine doesn't work then. I have an appointment with a dealer to check in. Jeep chat said they couldn't help me at all and directed me that way. Thanks.

Back on topic, here is a pic zoomed.

20220412_090839.jpg

Zachattack50

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT
Occupation
Small business owner
To add to the wierd mix. I didnt get the tow package on our 22 willys, manual, with 5" screen. I was surprised when it showed up with the trailor plug ins wired into the bumper, just minus the receiver (which is a bolt on item) Very glad I saved myself the 600$ for the "tow package" Probably something my dealer should have noted.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
To add to the wierd mix. I didnt get the tow package on our 22 willys, manual, with 5" screen. I was surprised when it showed up with the trailor plug ins wired into the bumper, just minus the receiver (which is a bolt on item) Very glad I saved myself the 600$ for the "tow package" Probably something my dealer should have noted.
But you dont get the upgraded fan or alternator, those are the real benefits of the towing package, not just the hitch.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
They all have that wiring, and have since the 2020 models first came out. It's likely because of the complexity of adding it later and you'll find towing is included with more and more packages because the majority of people buying these want it - even if you don't.
Anyway, it's always been standard in the JT to have that wire there. Imagine trying to add it later on these - not fun, and the wiring is tied into ABS so it's not something a hack can do easily.

With the wiring there, you can put a ball on the bumper and at least tow, what, 3,000 pounds or whatever the book says?

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Sort of off topic just regarding the CVPM:

I don't have the tow package but I did just add the Front Trail Cam and rear zoom appeared. Hitch zoom is on by default with the trailcam ( CVPM ) setup. I have it now.

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
I have the 7 inch screen on a manual, but I have trailer hitch zoom.

I think the consensus from a lot of Mojave (not just manual) owners is that the Mojave package already has most of that stuff anyway (cooling). For us Rubicons and Sports, overlands, etc. though, it adds a few things, and we DO get the trailer hitch zoom, at least on the 7 inch. Can't imagine why the 8.4 would be different.

Yes, your Mojave already has the better fan.
So when I had my engine bay apart for routing wires through firewall and changing my washer pump I looked at the fan of my Mojave. It's 600W, not 850W as would come with the towing package.

So yeah, I am gonna buy that fan and add it - both for summer heat and towing if I feel like it.

I am assuming it's plug and play? Can't imagine you'd have to notify the BCM it's there?

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I can't imagine it either, but this is how it's worded on Jeep's B&P
Weird. I have a 2020 Rubi with 8.4, No forward camera and I have hitch zoom. I don’t like it but I have it.

OP
OP
Rahkmalla

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Weird. I have a 2020 Rubi with 8.4, No forward camera and I have hitch zoom. I don’t like it but I have it.
This thread is a bit necro'd but since we're here. Despite all the notations in jeeps B&P, my manual, no front camera, tow package mojave does indeed have hitch zoom. Still too much money, but at least now it's gone from too much money for nothing, to too much money that I'd begrudgingly spend.
Sponsored