Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
^^ that.

Max tow also includes anti-spin rear diff (limited slip).
Didn't used to. When I was shopping that was on the 3.73 ratio rear axles only - not any 4.10 so that's newer.
Sponsored

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Max tow is good deal, but I have the tow package on my Overland and the max tow wasn’t available and I didn’t consider a sport because I couldn’t get a lot of the options I have and the deals were so much better on the Overland over the Rubicon. Anyway, with my factory tow package, track lock rear end, LED pkg, aux switch group, Rubicon take off suspension ($150), and E load 33s, I’m pretty close to a max tow. I’d basically have it if I put on wheels spacers, or wheels with a different offset, and re-geared to 4.10s. I mean, if you really want to get technical, I probably weigh a few hundred lbs more than a Sport so maybe 7450 tow rating?

I’ve never seen anything that states the max tow has different HD cooling or alternator than my tow package. I’ve seen way too many posts about max tow vs tow so I’ve over thought this.

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
All JT's have the 44" Heavy Duty Dana's.

The Trac-lok Anti Spin and the 4.10 axle ratio are the reason to go with the Max Tow, it's a good deal if you need the extra 1650 lbs towing capacity or want bigger tires. I don't think you it would be easy to find a shop to regear a 3.73 to a 4.10 for $900 from what I've seen around the forum
Max Tow has Wider 44

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have no idea why or if 1.5" really makes that much difference in anything without getting x rated.
Less risk of sway, more stable. In my experience, narrower vehicle don't tow as well.
I have to bet they tested that. Heavier, taller loads on a more narrow vehicle, not for me.

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
Less risk of sway, more stable. In my experience, narrower vehicle don't tow as well.
I have to bet they tested that. Heavier, taller loads on a more narrow vehicle, not for me.
But 1.5" wider, just doesn't seem like that much.

J-GriffsGlad

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Geologist
Max tow is good deal, but I have the tow package on my Overland and the max tow wasn’t available and I didn’t consider a sport because I couldn’t get a lot of the options I have and the deals were so much better on the Overland over the Rubicon. Anyway, with my factory tow package, track lock rear end, LED pkg, aux switch group, Rubicon take off suspension ($150), and E load 33s, I’m pretty close to a max tow. I’d basically have it if I put on wheels spacers, or wheels with a different offset, and re-geared to 4.10s. I mean, if you really want to get technical, I probably weigh a few hundred lbs more than a Sport so maybe 7450 tow rating?

I’ve never seen anything that states the max tow has different HD cooling or alternator than my tow package. I’ve seen way too many posts about max tow vs tow so I’ve over thought this.
No details so possible their claim means nothing, but they claim its upgraded.
Jeep Gladiator Max Tow Package Screenshot_20200913-224108_Chrome~2

Adawg1203

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
My bad, I missed the wide track, the max tow is definitely the bang for your buck model.
This may be nitpicking but not sure why folks state Max Tow as a model when it is not.

The model would either be Sport or Sport S WITH Max Tow. I believe those are the only two models that can have that package added to them.

There is no such model called simply, Max Tow.

Sponsored

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
Tow package says the same thing. Though.
This may be nitpicking but not sure why folks state Max Tow as a model when it is not.

The model would either be Sport or Sport S WITH Max Tow. I believe those are the only two models that can have that package added to them.

There is no such model called simply, Max Tow.
You are right about that and since in every other car line, adding an S to the name usually means Sport, the bass model should not of gotten the Sport naming.

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
But 1.5" wider, just doesn't seem like that much.
Seems minimal but Jeep felt it was needed. The only reason the Rubicon has them is because of the Mojave. It helps tho...because 35/37" tires can rub quite a bit otherwise.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
I think Max tow option and Rubicon had wide axles way before Mojave came out, Mojave has wider stance by 9/16" over Rubicon due to wheel offset......Jack

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, folks don't understand the timeframes for designs. For example, Lee Iacocca wanted AMC for one big reason (besides the engineering for the magnum and other fun stuff) - the ZJ - the Grand Cherokee.
He wanted that Jeep badly and would do anything to have it. And he did.
AMC had it on the drawing boards as early as 1986/87. It launched in 92 - that's 5 to 6 years later.
Sometimes things take years to come out - other times, like the Eagle, only a year or so (with changes to fix the rush issues the following model year)

These trucks are no exception - that Mojave could have been in development prior to the actual JT launch, but certain things held them back.
Even the latest rendition of the Grand Cherokee is being delayed because of engineering hurdles being hampered by covid-19 issues. It was to be in production already - won't happen now until next year.
Sponsored