Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
It's a safety feature, guessing they added it after a couple people accidentally left their vehicles in gear while they got out to check something and the vehicle rolled forward and injured them. Mine does this too, and won't release the brakes til you shift into park and back to drive/reverse. I'm not sure if there are other conditions that need to be met too though, like seat belt not fastened.
I think my door was already open when I was out of it and kept it running. I jumped in and put it in reverse and backed it up about 15ft with the door open. I was thinking if you couldn't do it at all then how would you remove the doors and drive. That had me a little worried for a minute there because the doors will definitely be coming off mine in another month or so.
Sponsored

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
Here is the Wrangler forum that talks about it too (Failure to engage transmission gear with door open).
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/wont-go-into-drive-with-door-open.3922/
Once again, just because the "Owners Manual" does or doesn't cover a topic doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist. Thats why this Forum is so valuable. I'm happy to take video of the door open & fail to engage transmission. but its a little harder to do the "Brake Loc" engaging in 2 wheel drive. My suggestion for anyone looking to make a new purchase is, get the "Trac Loc", & not the "Brake Loc". Brake Loc is low tech traction help, avoid it. I wish I knew more about it when I ordered my JT last April. Once again, I do love my truck, but sometimes safety and technology features can be irritating. That said, Trac Loc was not offered on the build site in conjunction with the MAX Tow package when I built and ordered it up last April.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Here is the Wrangler forum that talks about it too (Failure to engage transmission gear with door open).
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/wont-go-into-drive-with-door-open.3922/
Once again, just because the "Owners Manual" does or doesn't cover a topic doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist. Thats why this Forum is so valuable. I'm happy to take video of the door open & fail to engage transmission. but its a little harder to do the "Brake Loc" engaging in 2 wheel drive. My suggestion for anyone looking to make a new purchase is, get the "Trac Loc", & not the "Brake Loc". Brake Loc is low tech traction help, avoid it. I wish I knew more about it when I ordered my JT last April. Once again, I do love my truck, but sometimes safety and technology features can be irritating. That said, Trac Loc was not offered on the build site in conjunction with the MAX Tow package when I built and ordered it up last April.
I just wonder what the circumstances have to be to make it not back up. I'm going to try it at lunch and see if I just start it up and try to back up if it will engage. Because I have saw them riding around without doors in my area so, it has to be something that can be done, or a feature that can be disengaged. Not saying at all that it isn't true but there has to be factors in play to make it happen, or I would think there must be, if that makes sense. Not sure how you could drive it with doors off if not.

88mmm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland, 911 TT
Your still confusing the systems here but anyway, the BLD is still active if you have Trac Loc. All gladiators come with BLD.

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Your still confusing the systems here but anyway, the BLD is still active if you have Trac Loc. All gladiators come with BLD.
If you are not afraid to read;

The Trac-Lok is a mechanical limited slip that shifts power from the wheel that is spinning to the other wheel. It works well in the snow and mud but it does not help if one wheel is lifted or has no traction resistance. In other words, it is not a locker. But it will give you more traction than an open differential. One trick in slippery conditions is to use a little brake with one foot while you step on the gas pedal. This helps the limited slip to engage.

and Brake Loc; Unless you have a Rubicon, odds are you have an open differential. Although, JKs will have a brake lock differential if they didn't come with lockers. BLDs are a substitute for lockers with their own benefits and disadvantages. BLDs rely on the braking system to simulate how a locker works. Submodels such as the Sahara and the Sport S had the option of a limited slip differential from the factory.

References;https://www.extremeterrain.com/wrangler-jeep-lockers-explained.html

Sponsored

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I just wonder what the circumstances have to be to make it not back up. I'm going to try it at lunch and see if I just start it up and try to back up if it will engage. Because I have saw them riding around without doors in my area so, it has to be something that can be done, or a feature that can be disengaged. Not saying at all that it isn't true but there has to be factors in play to make it happen, or I would think there must be, if that makes sense. Not sure how you could drive it with doors off if not.
If the doors are unplugged, removed, the shifter works great. I'm happy to shoot a video of this if you like. It is kind of a pain in the butt when hooking up a trailer by yourself, but its a mild annoyance.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
If the doors are unplugged, removed, the shifter works great. I'm happy to shoot a video of this if you like. It is kind of a pain in the butt when hooking up a trailer by yourself, but its a mild annoyance.
I don't really need a video but I'm trying to figure out how I was able move mine with driver door open yesterday. I did have the door open when I put the jeep in reverse, but I also left it open when I put it in park and left it running why I jumped out to look at something.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
Simple, you put your seat belt on. The JT will run and engage the transmission with the door open or removed, but only if you have the seat belt on.
Cheers

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
trak lok is crap anyway, as are all clutch based units, it lasted maybe 80,000 km in my ram, i'm not sure when i failed really, i was one wheel spinnin for a long time, never bothered to rebuild it in the ram as i was annoyed, why be annoyed multiple times, i'm pressuring eaton to get truetrac available for these, i purposely didn't order the trak lok based on my experience with the ram, rather go anything but a clutch pack based lsd, even open diffs, jeep is doing surprisingly well in limited tests i've done so far

just be patient peeps, the locker options will be coming, i'd take a lunch box before another trak lok

Sponsored

uplandgunner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
If you are not afraid to read;

The Trac-Lok is a mechanical limited slip that shifts power from the wheel that is spinning to the other wheel. It works well in the snow and mud but it does not help if one wheel is lifted or has no traction resistance. In other words, it is not a locker. But it will give you more traction than an open differential. One trick in slippery conditions is to use a little brake with one foot while you step on the gas pedal. This helps the limited slip to engage.

and Brake Loc; Unless you have a Rubicon, odds are you have an open differential. Although, JKs will have a brake lock differential if they didn't come with lockers. BLDs are a substitute for lockers with their own benefits and disadvantages. BLDs rely on the braking system to simulate how a locker works. Submodels such as the Sahara and the Sport S had the option of a limited slip differential from the factory.

References;https://www.extremeterrain.com/wrangler-jeep-lockers-explained.html
Rubicon diffs are open diffs with a E locker. So when engaged in 4Hi or 4Lo without activating the lockers you're running BLD. BLD only activates in 4Hi or 4 LO . When in 2Hi the BLD system does not operate but the traction control system does, both BLD and TCS or stability control work using the ABS system and the computer to apply the ABS as well as other things like throttle control. Disabling the TCS works differently regarding what mode you are in, 2HI, 4HI or 4LO Plus There are two parts to turning off the TCS you can push the button while moving and it modifies it's effects, coming to a full stop and holding the button for 5 to 8 seconds completely disables the system.

The whole drive train and how it operates is a big learning curve as there are so many variables and ways to use it.

For the most part I don't think having a limited slip is any plus if you learn how to use the whole system, but maybe it's better if you just want the truck to do everything for you without input.

It's kind of like buying a DSLR and only using it on the automatic setting rather than learning to use all the controls which can help you take better pictures.

BK75

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Max Tow
Hey new Max Tow owner here! This is my first Jeep and was excited to get the 4.10 gearing and heavy duty tow package. I was a bit bummed that a LSD was not offered or on the window sticker. I figured if I really want it, I'll add it later.. I can turn wrenches so no big deal. Fast forward to today, I decided to come to full stop, hold traction control button down till off and did a brake stand. Guess what two thick lines.

Is it possible the Brake lock differential did this?

I've never had a open diff do this.. I'm kinda happy and confused at the same time!

ratherbskiing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUWD
I've lurked here for a long time, but for my first post, I'd like to take the unpopular position and defend the trac-lok LSD.

I have had my JKU with Trac-Lok for over 10 years and absolutely love having an LSD. I live at 7,000ft in the mountains of Utah and have snow for at least 6 months of the year. I'm talking a few hundred inches annually. Steep shaded (icy) driveways with the LSD is no problem for me in 2H. Never had an issue with the clutch packs. Each day I need to pull out of my side street and cross 5 lanes at a very dangerous intersection. When I punch the gas, I'm really glad that I'm not in one-wheel-peel mode as the cross traffic that I need to beat is going at least 70MPH. (Speed limit is 65). One-wheel-peel in that scenario would activate TCS and kill power, exactly when I really need rapid acceleration. I've had no issues with the back end kicking out that I couldn't anticipate and handle. Actually, I sometimes use it as an intentional strategy in the winter to turn my jeep in tight snowy situations.

All this talk of BLD vs LSD is moot as you'd need to be in 4WD for BLD to activate. I love that my LSD can get the job done without me having to think about any manual intervention like switching to 4WD. The LSD just kicks in and and gets me through sticky situations without any need for driver input. Prior to my JKU, I had a KJ for a long time with the LSD and never had any issues there either. I can't fathom why folks would not desire forward progress with two powered rear wheels as opposed to one. Even if it goes out at 80K or or whatever folks clam, it still seems like a plus for the average Jeep owner/daily driver. I just can't see the downsides of an LSD when compared to an open diff, for most folks. A BLD requires the driver to have already anticipated a potential traction loss and switch it to 4WD. That's fine when wheeling but I like that the LSD is there for me in a split second when I did not anticipate that the conditions were so slick.

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I've lurked here for a long time, but for my first post, I'd like to take the unpopular position and defend the trac-lok LSD.

I have had my JKU with Trac-Lok for over 10 years and absolutely love having an LSD. I live at 7,000ft in the mountains of Utah and have snow for at least 6 months of the year. I'm talking a few hundred inches annually. Steep shaded (icy) driveways with the LSD is no problem for me in 2H. Never had an issue with the clutch packs. Each day I need to pull out of my side street and cross 5 lanes at a very dangerous intersection. When I punch the gas, I'm really glad that I'm not in one-wheel-peel mode as the cross traffic that I need to beat is going at least 70MPH. (Speed limit is 65). One-wheel-peel in that scenario would activate TCS and kill power, exactly when I really need rapid acceleration. I've had no issues with the back end kicking out that I couldn't anticipate and handle. Actually, I sometimes use it as an intentional strategy in the winter to turn my jeep in tight snowy situations.

All this talk of BLD vs LSD is moot as you'd need to be in 4WD for BLD to activate. I love that my LSD can get the job done without me having to think about any manual intervention like switching to 4WD. The LSD just kicks in and and gets me through sticky situations without any need for driver input. Prior to my JKU, I had a KJ for a long time with the LSD and never had any issues there either. I can't fathom why folks would not desire forward progress with two powered rear wheels as opposed to one. Even if it goes out at 80K or or whatever folks clam, it still seems like a plus for the average Jeep owner/daily driver. I just can't see the downsides of an LSD when compared to an open diff, for most folks. A BLD requires the driver to have already anticipated a potential traction loss and switch it to 4WD. That's fine when wheeling but I like that the LSD is there for me in a split second when I did not anticipate that the conditions were so slick.
Like I said, I wish I had the Trac Loc, and the LSD I completely agree with your quality post, and your knowledge on this topic.

SgtMajTomahawk

First Name
Lawren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Maybe somebody covered this and I missed it, but I just got a new Sport S Max Tow JT a week ago and curious how I could tell if mine has the trac lock system or not. Would it be on the window sticker? Is it hidden in the VIN somehow or on the data plate on the door? or on the SN on the diff? I'm reading some with max tow have it and some don't so just curious how you can tell short of doing burnouts.
Sponsored