Track-Lok and Selec-Trac

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sahara 2.0L
If it's not spring loaded, then how does the necessary pressure to operate the clutch packs get generated?
Because it's a non-preload spring variant, in low torque applications, it functions just like an open diff, when under high torque, the axial force from spider gear pushes the side gears away and towards the casing and presses the clutch plates together and locks them in place.
This video does a good job explaining how preloaded spring and non preload spring LSDs work. Start watching at 2:40

Either way, someone has already opened the LSD diff and confirmed there are NO preload springs.
Sponsored

Last edited:

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Because it's a non-preload spring variant, in low torque applications, it functions just like an open diff, when under high torque, the axial force from spider gear pushes the side gears away and towards the casing and presses the clutch plates together and locks them in place.
This video does a good job explaining how preloaded spring and non preload spring LSDs work. Start watching at 2:40

Either way, someone has already opened the LSD diff and confirmed there are NO preload springs.
I'm confused.

I said that the LSD option gets you a differential that has spring pressure activating the clutch packs. You said no it doesn't, and then showed me a video of a differential with spring pressure activating the clutch packs, just like every Jeep LSD I've seen for decades.

So either there's a spring inside the diff, or there isn't. And in the case of the LSD used yesterday and today, there is, and that force being applied by it is not as strong as the force applied to the clutch packs in the old "VariLok" diffs, which is a true statement as I said it earlier in this thread.

The only other option is a helical style, which we normally call a "TorSen" diff (torque sensing). Even the "lunchbox lockers" that use metal on metal tooth contact still rely on springs for proper activation.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sahara 2.0L
I'm confused.

I said that the LSD option gets you a differential that has spring pressure activating the clutch packs. You said no it doesn't, and then showed me a video of a differential with spring pressure activating the clutch packs, just like every Jeep LSD I've seen for decades.

So either there's a spring inside the diff, or there isn't. And in the case of the LSD used yesterday and today, there is, and that force being applied by it is not as strong as the force applied to the clutch packs in the old "VariLok" diffs, which is a true statement as I said it earlier in this thread.

The only other option is a helical style, which we normally call a "TorSen" diff (torque sensing). Even the "lunchbox lockers" that use metal on metal tooth contact still rely on springs for proper activation.
The video explains the axial force load on the side gears that pushes the gears towards the casing and load the clutch plates. A preload spring will apply a constant pressure while the variant without preload spring will act like a open differential without load. The LSD used on the JLs are without preload springs. Why is this so difficult to understand?
Jeep Gladiator Track-Lok and Selec-Trac 1614824127392

FALSE

Factory Dana Trac Lok differentials do not have springs. Therefore the tires do turn opposite of eachother when off the ground.
Jeep Gladiator Track-Lok and Selec-Trac 7449FD86-8622-4757-9707-72486E902B0C

https://www.cjponyparts.com/omix-ad...gler-tj-cherokee-xj-for-dana-35/p/OMX1650906/
Jeep Gladiator Track-Lok and Selec-Trac 545454.PNG

Read the full discussion here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/how-to-check-if-lsd-is-working-properly.42233/page-3
Sponsored