Sponsored

Track-Lok and Selec-Trac

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Sort of wish my Max Tow pkg had the Trak-Lok, but I bought mine back in 2019 before they enhanced the pkg

wonder if I could strike a deal with a Jeep dealer to install for a reasonable price? yeah right...
I believe @WXman said it is better to not have that system, I will check to see if I can find the post

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
I believe @WXman said it is better to not have that system, I will check to see if I can find the post
I remember his post, but I respectfully disagree with him, at least based on my current location. I have the quadradrive system in my 04 WJ Overland which I've been DDing in South Dakota winters for 8 yrs now, and the thing is an absolute beast in the winter having the ability to automatically lock up all 4 wheels through the varilok axles and transfer case (which is similar to the selec-trac being offered now on the JL/JT). Though if I wasn't in a state with snow or ice 1/3rd of the year, I'd just get the standard transfer case and throw in lockers at a later date, which is my current plan with my JT

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
So LSD in my configuration will help only, if I have only one wheel (out of all 4) with grip.
Is this the case?
4WD does not necessarily mean that all 4 wheels get power 100% of the time. IMO, only a fully locked differential Fr and Rr will drive all 4 wheels in all situations.. My YJ had a trac-loc rear with an open diff at the front. Did OK in the mild stuff and on road winter driving. Once a front wheel began to spin, the other one was dead weight. Plan on installing a Tru Trac to get proper front axle torque routing. Jeep added the trac loc to the max tow much to my dismay. My order plan was to install Tru Tracs fr and rr after purchase with a possible re-gear. Will go with max tow and sell the trac loc after swapping in tru tracs

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
4WD does not necessarily mean that all 4 wheels get power 100% of the time. IMO, only a fully locked differential Fr and Rr will drive all 4 wheels in all situations.. My YJ had a trac-loc rear with an open diff at the front. Did OK in the mild stuff and on road winter driving. Once a front wheel began to spin, the other one was dead weight. Plan on installing a Tru Trac to get proper front axle torque routing. Jeep added the trac loc to the max tow much to my dismay. My order plan was to install Tru Tracs fr and rr after purchase with a possible re-gear. Will go with max tow and sell the trac loc after swapping in tru tracs
Whenever these threads gain some steam I always venture over to Eaton’s website to see if they’ve finally offered a product. Nope, still nothing for the JT, yet.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I personally don't like it. It complicates the rear diff design, requires additives when the diff is refilled, doesn't function well in offroad conditions, and causes the rear end to "walk" sideways on icy or compacted snow conditions. I'm fine without it.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I remember his post, but I respectfully disagree with him, at least based on my current location. I have the quadradrive system in my 04 WJ Overland which I've been DDing in South Dakota winters for 8 yrs now, and the thing is an absolute beast in the winter having the ability to automatically lock up all 4 wheels through the varilok axles and transfer case (which is similar to the selec-trac being offered now on the JL/JT). Though if I wasn't in a state with snow or ice 1/3rd of the year, I'd just get the standard transfer case and throw in lockers at a later date, which is my current plan with my JT
I had one of those too. Vari-Lok was different. It used hydraulic pressure to increase clamping force, which in turn caused the clutches to hold properly and act more like lockers. Very different system.

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
Doesn't the TracLok diff operate similarly to the VariLok diff? I thought they were both hydraulic clutch pack designs.

I agree that the SelecTrac tcase operates a bit different since I believe it relies on wheel speed sensors to electronically engage the front wheels (4WD) vs hydraulic pressure differences of the WJ's NV247 tcase.

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
Whenever these threads gain some steam I always venture over to Eaton’s website to see if they’ve finally offered a product. Nope, still nothing for the JT, yet.
Perhaps the items for the Wrangler series are a direct bolt up? Are the axle shafts the same for the Rubes and Sport Max Tow? Dana items all 'round eh?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
You have to have BOTH front wheels on a slick surface to have trouble. The NP219, 119, 229 for example limit slip between front and rear differentials.
So if you have a limited slip rear and one wheel up front starts to spin, you have a rotational difference between the front and rear and the transfer case limits or prevents that like a limited slip differential.
My Eagles, for example, as long as that transfer case coupling is working you can't get those stuck, PERIOD (unless you high center it, etc.) unless BOTH front wheels are on ice. I've tried and it took a 3-4' snow bank to stop me when I went up onto it and the car settled to the skid plates.
So as long as you have the correct transfer case and a limited slip rear, you won't have trouble unless BOTH front wheels are on ice or spin. As long as just ONE of the front wheels has any traction, you are good.
So your thing on "Once a front wheel began to spin, the other one was dead weight." is not correct IF your transfer case is working with a limited slip coupling or a locking selection.
Only the transfer cases that have "open differentials" in them will allow you to get stuck with only one wheel spinning.
I had a transfer case blow the coupling and THEN you had trouble if one wheel was on a slick surface.
I swapped in a NEW transfer case and my troubles went away - in fact, I can climb my neighbors driveway which is a hill and he never plows it, through deep snow and ice with my car or my WJ.
Seriously, once it's understood how these things work (and I've had years of experience on some of these systems, not all by a long shot, but the NP transfer cases for sure) you know there's no way a properly working transfer case with a coupling or limited slip inside will let you get stuck with only one wheel spinning. The coupling will lock and limit that spin or slippage locking the front and rear together - you can't spin a front as that means a rotational difference between shafts and they won't allow that.

Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I had experience with the BLD. I have been in situations where one back wheel or a front and back wheel where off the ground, and I still was able to drive forward. I have gotten through the same terrain as 4Runners with lockers and swaybar disconnedted running without either feature being available

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
Pass on the Track-lock and have a True-trac installed
That is what I've been wanting to do since I got mine last July, but I can't seem to find one that is made for our Gladiators. Do you know a product number or a link?

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Perhaps the items for the Wrangler series are a direct bolt up? Are the axle shafts the same for the Rubes and Sport Max Tow? Dana items all 'round eh?
That is what I've been wanting to do since I got mine last July, but I can't seem to find one that is made for our Gladiators. Do you know a product number or a link?
I check in with them every 6 months or so and as of like 3 months ago, the story is nothing available and no current plans to create one. This is for the TrueTrac, Detroit locker, and e-locker.

The JT and JL Rubicon have the same M210/220 axles and the ones that fit the other-than-Rubicon models won't work. Those were a hold-over from the JK because the carrier is the same and nothing new has come out for the JL.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I had experience with the BLD. I have been in situations where one back wheel or a front and back wheel where off the ground, and I still was able to drive forward. I have gotten through the same terrain as 4Runners with lockers and swaybar disconnedted running without either feature being available
The BLD is actually pretty decent... not as good as Toyota's ATRAC but I've seen it get me through some things that would otherewise require stacking, maxtrax, or a shovel.

It makes me wonder if BLD+Torsen is a viable setup. The BLD should in theory brake a spinning wheel and cause the Torsen to bias power to the other wheel. I'd almost prefer that over a true locker because it's always there for you and you don't have to actuate anything or worry about breakage as much. Only downside would be that little delay in actuation but I think for my needs that could be tolerated.

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
I check in with them every 6 months or so and as of like 3 months ago, the story is nothing available and no current plans to create one. This is for the TrueTrac, Detroit locker, and e-locker.

The JT and JL Rubicon have the same M210/220 axles and the ones that fit the other-than-Rubicon models won't work. Those were a hold-over from the JK because the carrier is the same and nothing new has come out for the JL.
The Sport S Max Tow uses the oversized Dana 40s from the Rube so should work, right?
Sponsored