Track-Lok and Selec-Trac

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
i ordered a diesel. I’m recommending he retain the most value in ownership not lose the most like you chose to
Ha! Thanks for helping me manage my money and investments. Can you please check out the thread regarding the guy who purchased bigger rubbers?; I posted a product I think, likely, you'll need.
Sponsored

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Paramedic
Max tow is worthless if your going 37s or larger and a waste of money. If not maybe it’s worth the upgraded price.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
We have a 2019JL Limited slip rear and select trac from factory, selectrac lets you even drive in an auto fourwheel drive all the time if you want or use it like we do in rain, and light snow conditions it is great. Limited slip rear is not a true locker but basically if you are in four wheel drive and going gets slippery or traction is lost you have basically three out of four tires pulling you along. I have driven Chevys with limited slip rears and some without, on the beach in soft sand and the limited slip is great, my current Suburan has never gotten stuck and it easily handles the dept soft beach sand. I like the selectrac and limited slip enough that I would have preferred it over the rear electric locker that is in the Mojave I have coming for me, Limited slip is ready to engage right away, not requiring pushing a button on dash. Typically run my trucks up to about 165-230 K, and never had a limited slip fail. I was going with an Overland, but plan to tow a small camper and really wanted the 4.10 gears, so settled on a Mojave.....Jack

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Axle to axle slippage is different from wheel to wheel slippage.

With an open differential, the tire with the most traction on a single axle gets the LEAST amount of torque. It's basically the force the wheel with the least traction is pushing against. On dry pavement / firm surfaces, this is best for driveability. Easy to turn, smooth, no problems.

With any kind of traction loss, from water/snow/dirt, you are spinning the wheel with lower traction, not putting power to the wheel that HAS traction. With modern traction control, your truck will massively reduce power to the spinning wheel, which means you are STUCK.

A limited slip differential, even the crummy clutch type Trak-Lock, allows some torque to be transferred to the wheel that HAS traction, as the clutch will start resisting when one axle spins and the other doesn't. Pulling away in the snow or rain means being careful not to let oversteer have its way with you, but you ARE able to pull away (even with a trailer).

The downside is minimal - if you have a heavy foot, hustling around a turn may lead to the tires chirping, or if you brake hard to turn into a corner the inside wheel will chirp from the brake torque. NO big deal. Drive smoothly, and your differentials will work smoothly.

GOOD limited slips like the gear driven Torsen-type TrueTrac, will actually have a fixed bias as to how much torque gets sent to the wheel with traction, and won't wear out like clutch type LSD's.

You will have more effective power to the ground with a limited slip differential, regardless of how the system manages the torque split between the front and rear axles. Instead of a 1 x 1 with open differentials, you'll 1 x 2 wheels driving (one front, two rear).

That is actually my question: how effective such set up?
If Selec-Trak transfers torque to front axel upon slippage of any rear wheels, why bother with Trak-Lok? Also in case of short slippage (not like stuck in mud ) ESC should help as well.

What cases would make Selec-Trak and Trak-Lok together effective?

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Axle to axle slippage is different from wheel to wheel slippage.

With an open differential, the tire with the most traction on a single axle gets the LEAST amount of torque. It's basically the force the wheel with the least traction is pushing against. On dry pavement / firm surfaces, this is best for driveability. Easy to turn, smooth, no problems.

With any kind of traction loss, from water/snow/dirt, you are spinning the wheel with lower traction, not putting power to the wheel that HAS traction. With modern traction control, your truck will massively reduce power to the spinning wheel, which means you are STUCK.

A limited slip differential, even the crummy clutch type Trak-Lock, allows some torque to be transferred to the wheel that HAS traction, as the clutch will start resisting when one axle spins and the other doesn't. Pulling away in the snow or rain means being careful not to let oversteer have its way with you, but you ARE able to pull away (even with a trailer).

The downside is minimal - if you have a heavy foot, hustling around a turn may lead to the tires chirping, or if you brake hard to turn into a corner the inside wheel will chirp from the brake torque. NO big deal. Drive smoothly, and your differentials will work smoothly.

GOOD limited slips like the gear driven Torsen-type TrueTrac, will actually have a fixed bias as to how much torque gets sent to the wheel with traction, and won't wear out like clutch type LSD's.

You will have more effective power to the ground with a limited slip differential, regardless of how the system manages the torque split between the front and rear axles. Instead of a 1 x 1 with open differentials, you'll 1 x 2 wheels driving (one front, two rear).
Does that Trac lock keep my rear wheels from spinning with traction control off?

Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Traction control will have to intervene less because there is less wheel speed differential. You will still spin wheels with traction control off, but two at a time vs one at a time.

Think two stripes on the pavement instead of one. Full on oversteer, too - just like in the olden days before traction control was a thing.

So LSD in my configuration will help only, if I have only one wheel (out of all 4) with grip.
Is this the case?
Does that Trac lock keep my rear wheels from spinning with traction control off?

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
Sort of wish my Max Tow pkg had the Trak-Lok, but I bought mine back in 2019 before they enhanced the pkg

wonder if I could strike a deal with a Jeep dealer to install for a reasonable price? yeah right...

BrightWhiteGladiator

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing - Planning & Research
The only reason I wish I had a Sport with max tow vs my Overland is the 4.10 gears would give my Gladiator roughly the same gearing back that I had stock before I upgraded from the 32.2" all seasons to my 33.6" All Terrains. It does fine with the 8 speed and 3.73s, but I don't have 8th gear on the hwy except on flat ground and there's slightly more hesitation off the line when I step on it. I can't tell a difference in normal driving. My mpg hasn't changed. In every other way I'm glad that I bought an Overland. Especially, after my $150 new Rubicon take off suspension score.
Why no regear brethren?

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everybody,
really wanted your opinion on the following:
I'm going to order JT Overland. My off-roading will be very light, and I just love the look of the truck and need a pickup.
I'm going to order Selec-Trac transfer case. Makes sense to me, since truck will mostly be used on road.
Now the question is: how useful would be Trac-Lok along with Selec-Trac? Keeping in mind that ESC is also present on all JT trims.
Is it really worth spending money on?
Call me old (OLD) fashioned but it's a Wrangler. No matter how short your going to keep it or how little you think you might want it, I don't think these Select Tracs belong in the JT and the JL. I also think it will have less of a resale value. Take just a brief minute and thank your Gods that we still get a damn manually lever shifted T-Case.

Maybe a Grand Cherokee might be better for you.

That said, Jeep sure has produced a great history of all wheel drive systems.

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
Sort of wish my Max Tow pkg had the Trak-Lok, but I bought mine back in 2019 before they enhanced the pkg
I'm in the same boat, BUT at least they increased the price of the package when they included the Trak-Lok so we weren't fully hosed.

Sponsored

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Typically run my trucks up to about 165-230 K, and never had a limited slip fail.
Good to know, since I ordered it on my Overland.

OP
OP

Komesk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ 1999
Call me old (OLD) fashioned but it's a Wrangler. No matter how short your going to keep it or how little you think you might want it, I don't think these Select Tracs belong in the JT and the JL. I also think it will have less of a resale value. Take just a brief minute and thank your Gods that we still get a damn manually lever shifted T-Case.

Maybe a Grand Cherokee might be better for you.

That said, Jeep sure has produced a great history of all wheel drive systems.
Grand Cherokee is not an option, I need a pickup. I'm driving everyday my 1999 TJ manual, and have no complains
But vehicle which costs 50K MUST be at least somewhat sophisticated.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everybody,
really wanted your opinion on the following:
I'm going to order JT Overland. My off-roading will be very light, and I just love the look of the truck and need a pickup.
I'm going to order Selec-Trac transfer case. Makes sense to me, since truck will mostly be used on road.
Now the question is: how useful would be Trac-Lok along with Selec-Trac? Keeping in mind that ESC is also present on all JT trims.
Is it really worth spending money on?
I have the Overland and really like it. I got the limited slip differential as that's what I've had on my last truck, and most of my cars.
Yes, traction control exists and so on, but still, the true limited slip is different.
Now it won't be great on ice, but it is good on/in snow, that sort of thing.

It sounds like your needs or thought processes were similar to mine.
The Overland is a good truck - will it tow and haul as much as others or as a max tow Sport S? No - but do you REALLY need to haul 1600 pounds or so, or haul almost 8,000 pounds?
I don't - I have a car hauler and haul my cars to shows around the country.
I've still hauled a lot of stuff in the back and my wife used it to help her friend move across the county a few weeks ago and had it PACKED full of stuff.
I've hauled car parts and antique engines in it, and it's a comfortable truck to be sure.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Grand Cherokee is not an option, I need a pickup. I'm driving everyday my 1999 TJ manual, and have no complains
But vehicle which costs 50K MUST be at least somewhat sophisticated.
Don't worry about the guys that believe it's not a true Jeep without the manual transfer case.
My Chevy had what they called "automatic transfer case" - it was great in our weather when you could hit black ice or slick spots, no shifting back and forth.
I wish I could have gotten that t-case in my Overland.
If you aren't crawling boulders or through 2 feet of mud or climbing the side of the Grand Canyon - then do you really need some of the other stuff?
That's my take.
Some will say it's not a true jeep if this or that, it's YOUR truck, YOUR choice.
There was a huge demand for that transfer case. Choose what works for you.
If you bow to pressure you may not like your truck so much later - wishing you had followed your first instincts.
Some here think my Overland is ugly because I'm not lifted 4" and running 37" tires (and they have said so in the forum) - xxx 'em. It's MY truck. They can do what they choose with THEIR truck.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Good to know, since I ordered it on my Overland.
I've had them in cars and trucks since the 1970s - never had one fail.
I've also not noticed over-steer either. My truck and one of my cars has it, and my other car I just sold had limited slip, as have almost every car I've owned.
Sponsored