Sponsored

Overland without Max Tow Package - Lift? Spacers?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
No lift needed for 33
You can use whatever size - 17 or 18 - you wish but tires for 17 may be cheaper and easier to find.
So much of this is objective - people will prefer whatever they are running!
Sponsored

OP
OP
WarRaveyn

WarRaveyn

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Operations Manager
Thanks. So to be clear, if I stick with 33's and new rims, will I be good with the current gears and no lift? I live in Colorado.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Thanks. So to be clear, if I stick with 33's and new rims, will I be good with the current gears and no lift? I live in Colorado.
If you live in Colorado I would NOT do 35s on 3.73. I took my 35 laden 3.73 truck to Tahoe and going up the hills to get to the lake was not something I would want on a daily trip.

Most of my driving is SF Bay area super flat, and if there's a hill it's small.

If you want the look of 35 or 37 prepare to regear to 4.88 or even bigger. And do more work.

33 on 3.73 and no lift you should be fine.

JustKip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Triumph Bonneville
Occupation
Nope
^^ THIS ^^

My home away from home is FoCo, and I'm sure you don't want 35's with 3.73 gears! Even 33's would be challenging with a heavy load or towing.

My F150 has an extra 100 lb/ft of torque(compared to Jeep's 3.6), and 32's, and it does fine with 3.73 gears. I've had 34's on it (that were marketed at 35's) and it was constantly looking for a reason to downshift with any load at all.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If you live in Colorado I would NOT do 35s on 3.73. I took my 35 laden 3.73 truck to Tahoe and going up the hills to get to the lake was not something I would want on a daily trip.

Most of my driving is SF Bay area super flat, and if there's a hill it's small.

If you want the look of 35 or 37 prepare to regear to 4.88 or even bigger. And do more work.

33 on 3.73 and no lift you should be fine.
Agreed - I'd not go 35's on my Overland on a dare. It's geared for economy and cruising and few hills.

The stock Overland tires sit the same as Rubicon Falken A/T take-offs I have. Made no speedometer difference, no difference in shifting, and when I sat the Rubicon tires next to my stock Overland tires, they are basically the same height.
I don't care what the tire maker charts say - they roll with pretty much the same diameter according to my GPS and local radar.
So, Overlands really come with 33s, at least they physically are same rolling diameter or height tire as the stock Rubicon - just wider.
That's the only difference I found and i've switched back and forth a couple of times now.

I don't know if I took pics of the two side-by-side or not, but I should when I get my truck back from the dealer shop.
Rubicon stock wheel and A/T tires fit perfectly on an Overland, no changes needed at all. Bolt 'em on and drive. And they look good on the Overland although I actually like the look of the Overland WHEELS better.

Seems to me a lot of guys run 35s on their stock 4.10 gears - so if a person went 4.10 or deeper 35s should be no issue. I've seen no complaints from people putting 35" tires on a stock Rubicon as far as gearing.
37 - that's a different issue. HEAVIER besides taller.

This is my Overland with Gladiator Rubicon tires and wheels.

Jeep Gladiator Overland without Max Tow Package - Lift? Spacers? 20200211_163157_HDR

OP
OP
WarRaveyn

WarRaveyn

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Operations Manager
Nice looking truck. Are those wheels 17" or 18"?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Nice looking truck. Are those wheels 17" or 18"?
Those are the stock 17" Rubicon Gladiator wheels.
A fellow in Omaha bought a new Gladiator Rubicon and took those off after a couple hundred miles. Tires and wheels are what comes on Rubicon JT from the factory (as long as you don't get the optional wheels and tires)

Pic - coming back from Omaha with the Rubicon tires/wheels and a couple of AMC dealership signs on the trailer.

Jeep Gladiator Overland without Max Tow Package - Lift? Spacers? 20200121_161341_HDR

MoparMan

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Existence
Agreed - I'd not go 35's on my Overland on a dare. It's geared for economy and cruising and few hills.

The stock Overland tires sit the same as Rubicon Falken A/T take-offs I have. Made no speedometer difference, no difference in shifting, and when I sat the Rubicon tires next to my stock Overland tires, they are basically the same height.
I don't care what the tire maker charts say - they roll with pretty much the same diameter according to my GPS and local radar.
So, Overlands really come with 33s, at least they physically are same rolling diameter or height tire as the stock Rubicon - just wider.
That's the only difference I found and i've switched back and forth a couple of times now.

I don't know if I took pics of the two side-by-side or not, but I should when I get my truck back from the dealer shop.
Rubicon stock wheel and A/T tires fit perfectly on an Overland, no changes needed at all. Bolt 'em on and drive. And they look good on the Overland although I actually like the look of the Overland WHEELS better.

Seems to me a lot of guys run 35s on their stock 4.10 gears - so if a person went 4.10 or deeper 35s should be no issue. I've seen no complaints from people putting 35" tires on a stock Rubicon as far as gearing.
37 - that's a different issue. HEAVIER besides taller.

This is my Overland with Gladiator Rubicon tires and wheels.

Jeep Gladiator Overland without Max Tow Package - Lift? Spacers? 20200121_161341_HDR
You really aren’t adding much weight to the corners with 285/75r18s vs. Rubicon take offs. I didn’t lose much power at all over stock.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland

35s on 3.73 is really only an issue on long hills at highway speed. Other than that it's unnoticeable.

MPG? Meh. I care exactly 0. I'm not going to ever make a car decision on MPG. MPG will follow, never lead.

Sponsored

OP
OP
WarRaveyn

WarRaveyn

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Operations Manager
What do you guys think of the rough country 2.5' lift. Its only $649. Is that a good brand? Reliable?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You really aren’t adding much weight to the corners with 285/75r18s vs. Rubicon take offs. I didn’t lose much power at all over stock.
Not talking weight, talking the diameter - it's like your final ratio is much higher with taller tires. The engine has to work harder to get rolling and make hills with 35" tires compared to 33".
Mine struggles on hills with stock tires - 35's would make it such a pooch there's no way I could haul my trailer even empty.
Weight it secondary, diameter is the primary focus in my post.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
35s on 3.73 is really only an issue on long hills at highway speed. Other than that it's unnoticeable.

MPG? Meh. I care exactly 0. I'm not going to ever make a car decision on MPG. MPG will follow, never lead.
You've not driven in Iowa. My Overland struggles on the stock tires on the interstate with out hills. Even towing my EMPTY trailer from home to Omaha and back was interesting to say the least. I had to really push it hard to keep the speed limit - 60-65 wasn't easy to maintain on hills - and the empty trailer is 1600 pounds tops.
I'd never even think of 35's on mine - trailer or not. IT's a POOCH.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
285/75/18s are taller than most tires sold as 35s, great size option but tall, definitely have an effect on gearing.
Sponsored