First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
So yeah, more differences. The Rubi shocks definitely feel softer. Obviously that affects how payload is handled.
Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Priced out a Max Tow and Rubicon with what I would want and the difference is about 4.5k . After some swap outs on the Max Tow the difference with the Rubicon may not be too hard to swallow. Brake controller for sure - been following the mopar accessory brake controller thread and thought I'd wouldn't mind losing the 12v outlet, but 1st thing the wife does when we get into the rental was plug her 12v USB plug in - she has something against plugging into the USB ports :lipssealed: - So i'll be looking at one of the other solutions.

Wasn't crazy about the red dashboard, or the Gray body, but after the weekend I ended liking the gray - I could live with the red dashboard
Yep its still for sure a price increase to swallow. But you can't add pretty much any of the things it includes after market at a reasonable price (Sway bar and lockers especially). I wasn't planning on off roading when I got the jeep (more of a truck and convertable to me) but my 8 year old has lured me to the off road side where I would be extremely disapointed if I had gotten a sport with wimpy tires and no lockers.

The Mopar brake controller should be considered vaporware at this point. It keeps getting pushed back in massive intervals. Q1 2020 then April/May 2020, now it is something like October they are saying. I wouldn't trust that date either. Also the loss of the 12volt could be huge. I tested the output of the USB ports and even the USB-C ones don't support the power delivery spec. Odds are in the future you will want that outlet to quick charge something.

Austingobi

First Name
Vinny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator S
I towed a trailer of 1000 # for a 1000 mile trip last weekend (max tow with rubicon suspension and tires) . Was disappointed on the way it acted on the truck. I thought I wouldn't feel it and that it wouldn't have such a hit on gas mileage (12 mpg overall) .
I'll be towing a toy hauler on a 1500 mile trip starting June 18th. Should be around 4500# . I'll report back after the trip.
Jeep Gladiator Max Tow vs Rubicon for Towing 20200521_215824

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
While they list IMO a weight limit for the 3.6 that I think is well beyond what it should be considering the motor, that is just my opinion. I've towed 5000 lbs and it was a struggle going up a mountain in AZ and it bordered on overheating. By the time I got to the top, I was doing 25mph and getting passed by Honda Fit's and Toyota Prius's like I was standing still.

If you want to tow 5000 or more with a JT, wait for the diesel motor to come out in 2021. Much more torque than the 3.6.

I'm trading my low mileage 3.6 on an oil burner as soon as I can order one.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
While they list IMO a weight limit for the 3.6 that I think is well beyond what it should be considering the motor, that is just my opinion. I've towed 5000 lbs and it was a struggle going up a mountain in AZ and it bordered on overheating. By the time I got to the top, I was doing 25mph and getting passed by Honda Fit's and Toyota Prius's like I was standing still.

If you want to tow 5000 or more with a JT, wait for the diesel motor to come out in 2021. Much more torque than the 3.6.

I'm trading my low mileage 3.6 on an oil burner as soon as I can order one.
Lol you just named my two cars I had before the JT. They can get up there when the need to. I even towed a motorcycle with my honda fit before.....

Sponsored

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition, Escape, Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Firecracker Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
It is rated slightly lower due to cooling. I wouldn't be towing near limits with either motor, so a reasonable trailer (what I'd say is around 5500-6k max) will be fine either way.
Actually, it's usually because the diesel engine weighs more so it subtracts from the amount of cargo capacity and thus from what you can tow.

Racer_X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Rubicon Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
If you're looking / planning - don't forget about the Mojave. It may have some of the advantages/specs in the Rubi that walks the midpoint of what you're looking for.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Actually, it's usually because the diesel engine weighs more so it subtracts from the amount of cargo capacity and thus from what you can tow.
Jeep themselves said it was due to cooling. Doesn't really much matter either way though. The *practical* limit is sure to be higher with the diesel.

Austingobi

First Name
Vinny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator S
I towed a trailer of 1000 # for a 1000 mile trip last weekend (max tow with rubicon suspension and tires) . Was disappointed on the way it acted on the truck. I thought I wouldn't feel it and that it wouldn't have such a hit on gas mileage (12 mpg overall) .
I'll be towing a toy hauler on a 1500 mile trip starting June 18th. Should be around 4500# . I'll report back after the trip.
Jeep Gladiator Max Tow vs Rubicon for Towing 20200521_215824
Just did a trip from Austin to multiple places in NM and CO. Went over so many over 10K passes that I lost count. Did Eisenhower, Leadville and Cottonwood passes in just 2 hours.
Head wind both ways . Over 2K miles. Took it off road on Alpine loop and Carson city (did excellent, Tacoma tore off their footsteps on both sides). Towed around 5K pound toy hauler the whole 12 day trip.

Did burn up alot of my oil life meter. Changed the oil right before the trip.

Max tow with Rubicon lift, wheels, tires.

20200628_095311.jpg

20200628_143142.jpg

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
So, how did the truck do??

Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
You can swap out the red Rubicon inserts for about $300, that was an interior designer conflict we investigated right away. Turned out that it's a lot less of an issue after a bit of acclimation. Ironically the red painted Rubicons don't come CLOSE to matching that red panel color!

Something that is a Rubicon feature but makes a surprising comfort difference just tooling around service roads is the swaybar disconnect. I've got a Tazer for a bunch of reasons, but popping off the swaybars in 2Hi and up to 30 MPH makes for a much more relaxed ride. 2Hi and the rear locker also makes the mildest trails just that much milder.

Still debating the heat gun fix for the hood stickers.

Priced out a Max Tow and Rubicon with what I would want and the difference is about 4.5k . After some swap outs on the Max Tow the difference with the Rubicon may not be too hard to swallow. Brake controller for sure - been following the mopar accessory brake controller thread and thought I'd wouldn't mind losing the 12v outlet, but 1st thing the wife does when we get into the rental was plug her 12v USB plug in - she has something against plugging into the USB ports :lipssealed: - So i'll be looking at one of the other solutions.

Wasn't crazy about the red dashboard, or the Gray body, but after the weekend I ended liking the gray - I could live with the red dashboard

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
No one should ever be passed by a Toyota Penis. Shameful!
The combination of the electric and gas engine in those give them a suprising amount of acceleration. The gage will show your gas mileage dropping down a ton, lol. In all honesty I think my prius is faster than my JT....

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
That was really a joke as a friend has one and that became its nickname for a variety of reasons.

Last year, I was in NC for a meeting and my Uber driver picked me up in his 2015 Prius. Not too impressive, but then when I got back to Atlanta, I was picked up by a 2019 Prius. Wow, it was quite nice and very peppy. Nothing like the instant torque of an electric motor.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I got a Max tow and towed about 4,000lbs.of rock a few months back, all in weight was around 5500lbs and mine did nicely even on the hills. I felt comfortable if I had to tow that much weight for a good distance. This trip was a 40 mile round trip.
Sponsored