Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
I went in full well knowing that it wouldn't increase sound, I appreciate the cleaner/higher-clearance run and the reduced weight. I'm posting just a few bits of data that I was unable to get positive confirmation on prior to install.

Price:
$178.59 Shipped (If you clear your browser cache and hit the MBRP site directly, you should be prompted with a 10% off coupon code. With free shipping, mine totaled $178.59 shipped.)

Weight & Design:
Stock filter back exhaust weight: 27 lbs.
Stock filter back muffler design: chambered, chamber opening appears to be 2". Near impossible to get a photo but look down it with a light, its pretty restrictive.
Stock filter back resonator design: pass-through
---
MBRP filter back exhaust weight: 14 lbs.

Sound: The exhaust note didn't change outside of hearing the turbo spool and dump and little more. This too is hard to detect, I had my wife revving while I stood behind it to pick it up.

Quality: Thick flanges, great welds, quality gasket & hardware and perfect bends. The angle cut on the tip is dialed in too, essentially perfectly parallel with the ground once installed. Yeah, IMO well worth the $178 shipped. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

Overall: Ultra happy with the clearance and optimized run in addition to the slight weight savings. That stock muffler specifically is just waiting to get hung up, the resonator not so much with its tapered inlet & outlet. Glad to be rid of them both and I suspect, given the removal of the chambered muffler that banks (or GDE when ready) tuning will capitalize on the increased flow by spooling faster. I know emissions on this platform is gimped but regardless, increase flow is increased flow.

Install took me about 1.5 hours but thats with the rear already on stands during the install of the 2" AEV spacer lift. I was able to feed the stock exhaust out in one piece quite easily.

Pics of the parts on the scale below. Hung the entire stock exhaust, weighed the 2 individual MBRP parts separatly.

Stock:

Jeep Gladiator MBRP Filter Back Exhaust stock

1/2 MBRP:

Jeep Gladiator MBRP Filter Back Exhaust 1:2_MBRP

2/2 MBRP:

Jeep Gladiator MBRP Filter Back Exhaust 2:2_MBRP

Installed Clearance from side (I'll get some better pics, much tighter & cleaner):

Jeep Gladiator MBRP Filter Back Exhaust clearance
Sponsored

Hondo1

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Ecodiesel
Occupation
Oil and gas
Curious if this has a positive effect on EGT’s while pulling.

OP
OP
staying_tuned

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
Curious if this has a positive effect on EGT’s while pulling.
I have to imagine it must given the chambered muffler on the stock pipe being gone. Likely hardly measurable but who knows. We load out heavy when we go on trail/camping trips but I don't tow anything. If I end up doing so I'll certainly log some temps. We are at altitude here in the Poconos and nothing is flat for long.

IOS-XR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator HA Diesel, 21 Silverado LT Diesel
Occupation
CTO
Very nice. I keep thinking about going this route.....

ETA - any drone or "unpleasantness" in the cab after the change? My wife usually drives the Glad as I have my Silverado for a company truck and I don't want to "mess up the truck" for her.

OP
OP
staying_tuned

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
Very nice. I keep thinking about going this route.....

ETA - any drone or "unpleasantness" in the cab after the change? My wife usually drives the Glad as I have my Silverado for a company truck and I don't want to "mess up the truck" for her.
Zero drone, smell or any undesired side-effects like that!

Sponsored

IOS-XR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator HA Diesel, 21 Silverado LT Diesel
Occupation
CTO
Excellent. Sounds like other than minimal cost there is basically no downside.

Courtsm3

First Name
Kayle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
I was always told that both the resonator and muffler were straight through. Interesting to hear the muffler is chambered.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The resonator and muffler are both straight through designs, i.e. you can hold it up in the sunlight and see through the other end. They are very unrestrictive designs actually. I was quite surprised. There are chambers, but it's not like a Flowmaster muffler where it's very restrictive and there isn't a direct path through for the air flow. The chambers on the factory muffler only tone down the noise, they don't interrupt flow. I'd say the power gain with the MBRP kit is very minimal.

When I put the MBRP cat-back exhaust on my truck back in June the only complaint I had is that it will not work with the factory splash guards. The diesel exhaust exits on the opposite side from the gas exhaust, and apparently Jeep only made the splash guards for the gasoline models.

Aside from that I have 9,000 miles on it and it's holding up good. ZERO increase in sound until the truck goes into regen and then you can hear it if you roll the window down.
Sponsored