Metal Cloak vs. Clayton

jeep671

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon and 2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon COD MW3
For everyday normal driving, you don't have to worry about replacing driveshafts right away. With a 3.5" kit, if you plan on doing any wheeling, we highly recommend replacing the front driveshaft, with a 2.5" kit you can wheel it a little longer without changing out the factory unit. The rear driveshaft you might never need to change as long as you're happy with how the truck drives after the lift is installed, and you can always make adjustments to the angle of the rear driveshaft by adjusting and playing around with the pinion angle. Hope that helps!
Hi James,

Thank you. I was hoping for that answer. I know that I could consider the 2.5" lift kit, would I be able to use 37x12.5R17 tires and 17x9 wheels with -12 offset and 4.5"BS? Again, thank you for your input, it is greatly appreciated!

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hi James,

Thank you. I was hoping for that answer. I know that I could consider the 2.5" lift kit, would I be able to use 37x12.5R17 tires and 17x9 wheels with -12 offset and 4.5"BS? Again, thank you for your input, it is greatly appreciated!
No problem! Yes that would all fit perfectly, 4.5" BS is right in the ballpark of our recommended specs. Assuming you have a Rubicon model, the 37" tires will fit perfectly with a 2.5" lift, if you have a sport/sahara model, you would have to go up to 3.5" of lift to fit 37's without any rubbing.

Let me know if you need help with anything else!

kickingaz

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel, 2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Owner - New River Offroad
No problem! Yes that would all fit perfectly, 4.5" BS is right in the ballpark of our recommended specs. Assuming you have a Rubicon model, the 37" tires will fit perfectly with a 2.5" lift, if you have a sport/sahara model, you would have to go up to 3.5" of lift to fit 37's without any rubbing.

James,

I have a Max Tow Sport with the Rubicon high clearance fenders and I will be installing a set of Rubicon locked axles soon (garages get real hot in AZ in the summer). I am running the Patagonia 38x13.50x17 tires on Dirty Life Roadkill beadlock wheels. We do a lot of rock trails in AZ and make a trip to Moab every year. Given the tires and type of off-roading I am planning to do, which of your lift kits do you recommend for my application?
Thanks!

Sponsored

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7

Is the concern about which model pertain to the fender flares? I would think a Sport with non factory flares (fabtech, MC, etc) could run 37s with a 2.5” lift, right?

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase

So what kind of backspacing is recommended. Just ordered new wheels with 5.73” backspacing (aev borah jl) and going on a max tow if that makes a difference.

endurojeep

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
So do the clayton springs maintain the rake on the gladiator in the rear. I would not give up my metal cloak arms they provide the flex of a johnny joint arm with the silent on road manners. The only thing I would change is having my rake back for hauling however I may have a solution for load carrying very soon. As far as ride it rides like a marshmallow on a cloud without being wishy washy corners better than stock rides better than stock on road and really soaks up trail riding bumps at speed really well

I posted this on an older forum still looking for the answers on the rear springs

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
James,

I have a Max Tow Sport with the Rubicon high clearance fenders and I will be installing a set of Rubicon locked axles soon (garages get real hot in AZ in the summer). I am running the Patagonia 38x13.50x17 tires on Dirty Life Roadkill beadlock wheels. We do a lot of rock trails in AZ and make a trip to Moab every year. Given the tires and type of off-roading I am planning to do, which of your lift kits do you recommend for my application?
Thanks!
I would definitely recommend a 3.5" kit to clear those tires, especially because you do a lot of rock trails! With that being said, deciding whether to go with the 3.5" Overland Plus Kit or 3.5" Premium Kit would be up to you and what you're looking for out of this vehicle. Usually, the Overland Plus kit is what most of our customers tend to gravitate to due to its performance benefits on and off road, and also the fact that it's maintenance free. The Premium kit is designed for, and is usually used by guys that are looking for the most off road performance possible since the Johnny Joints allow for a little bit more mis-alignment, but do require maintenance every so often. Feel free to give us a call or just ask any other questions you have, always happy to help!

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Is the concern about which model pertain to the fender flares? I would think a Sport with non factory flares (fabtech, MC, etc) could run 37s with a 2.5” lift, right?
Correct! Or even a Sport/Sahara that installed the factory Rubicon flares could run 37's on a 2.5" kit!

Sponsored

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
So what kind of backspacing is recommended. Just ordered new wheels with 5.73” backspacing (aev borah jl) and going on a max tow if that makes a difference.
We recommend backspacing usually from 4.5 to 4.75. Anything above 4.75 you would just need to use a wheel spacer with, which as long as you go with a reputable brand you shouldn't have any problems, and anything under 4.5 is totally fine as long as you don't mind the wheels coming past the fenders!

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
So do the clayton springs maintain the rake on the gladiator in the rear. I would not give up my metal cloak arms they provide the flex of a johnny joint arm with the silent on road manners. The only thing I would change is having my rake back for hauling however I may have a solution for load carrying very soon. As far as ride it rides like a marshmallow on a cloud without being wishy washy corners better than stock rides better than stock on road and really soaks up trail riding bumps at speed really well

I posted this on an older forum still looking for the answers on the rear springs
Yes all of our kits aim to keep some of the factory rake in order to preserve the functionality especially in the Gladiators, since they are a truck!

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
We recommend backspacing usually from 4.5 to 4.75. Anything above 4.75 you would just need to use a wheel spacer with, which as long as you go with a reputable brand you shouldn't have any problems, and anything under 4.5 is totally fine as long as you don't mind the wheels coming past the fenders!
Oh So factory wheels would be a no go without spacers? Where is the interference going to be. I figured it would be the LCA's & it looks like I have several inch's of clearance there now so I didn't figure the inch of backspace + inch of tire diameter would get in the way. These new wheels already shipped so if I gotta return them it should be easier if I havent opened the box's.

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Yeah factory wheels don't work, however our buddy does run our Overland kit with the factory rims and 1.25" wheel spacers! Even with the clearance bends in the arms, the larger tires still rub at full lock, so going with a wheel with more backspacing is required to fix the issue. I'm sure you would have no issue returning wheels that are un-opened!

Jeep Gladiator Metal Cloak vs. Clayton DSC06523-15-A

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah factory wheels don't work, however our buddy does run our Overland kit with the factory rims and 1.25" wheel spacers! Even with the clearance bends in the arms, the larger tires still rub at full lock, so going with a wheel with more backspacing is required to fix the issue. I'm sure you would have no issue returning wheels that are un-opened!

Jeep Gladiator Metal Cloak vs. Clayton DSC06523-15-A
well that bursts my bubble... There was a ton of space before the LCA's so I didnt figure it would be an issue, but you guys know your product better then I do.
Sponsored