Metalcloak gamechanger lift on 35s JTRD

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
With my front shocks that are 28.4” extended, swaybar disconnected, no limit strap - the stock front driveshaft is not in any danger. Works fine, doesn’t bind on the edge of the collar, there’s even a bit of room left. True both when flexed hard up on front passenger with front driver in the air, and when fully drooped on jackstands.

Those are Falcon SP2 3.3 shocks which they describe as for 2-3” or 3.5”-4.5” lifts (same front part number). I have Clayton springs FWIW, but the springs have basically nothing to do with the driveshaft. It’s shock extended length. (Or limit strap I guess)

If this is a MC kit with their funky dual-shaft shocks, if the extended length is more then ~29” then yeah, might be a problem for the stock front TC-driveshaft joint?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Guitarhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon diesel gladiator
To compare, here is the same 3.5" Metalcloak Game Changer setup with 37's. If there is no interest in 37's in the future, I personally like the look of the 2.5" setup. Nonetheless, whatever you do will look good.

jeep 100.jpg

jeep 105.jpg

jeep 104.jpg

jeep 103.jpg

Yeah 37s and 3.5 look amazing . I just want to keep 35s for mpg after getting the diesel tuned I’m getting 32 on interstate with 35s

OP
OP

Guitarhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lift on the way I’ll post pictures after install. Haven’t installed a lift in a while :/

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
Yes the 2.5" lift would be more like a 3.5" lift.
From the way I've heard them explain it, the Clayton front springs have already calculated in a steel bumper and a winch + 1/2 to remove some of the rake.

I think the issue with some of the manufacturers is that they didn't take the time to engineer for an additional 400lbs for the motor only and as previously stated in this post they bump up the height with a puck or spacer. To me this is lazy, because the spring and shock are not designed for the weight. We're not just talking about static weight here.

For example, I saw a study where when a 150-180lb man jogs, each foot bears the weight of just over 500lbs making it important to replace running shoes well before they look like they look worn out. The suspension of the shoe wears out faster that the rest of the shoe.

In the case of incorrectly matching springs to the given spring load, you end up wearing out the spring resulting in premature sag not to mention when the vehicle isn't static. To my knowledge, Clayton and Rusty's are the only 2 manufacturers that have diesel specific springs. I may be wrong, but I do think Clayton was the first to do the research and come to market with a diesel engine specific spring. A spring with the appropriate spring rate and shocks that match the spring and weigh of the vehicle will give you the best ride, handling and longevity = satisfaction. A solid bonus, I've heard their customer service is second to none. From previous posts in this forum, they went way out of their way to help an individual troubleshoot an issue, which ended up being the incorrect installation of front upper control arms.

aFatBird

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
From the way I've heard them explain it, the Clayton front springs have already calculated in a steel bumper and a winch + 1/2 to remove some of the rake.

I think the issue with some of the manufacturers is that they didn't take the time to engineer for an additional 400lbs for the motor only and as previously stated in this post they bump up the height with a puck or spacer. To me this is lazy, because the spring and shock are not designed for the weight. We're not just talking about static weight here.

For example, I saw a study where when a 150-180lb man jogs, each foot bears the weight of just over 500lbs making it important to replace running shoes well before they look like they look worn out. The suspension of the shoe wears out faster that the rest of the shoe.

In the case of incorrectly matching springs to the given spring load, you end up wearing out the spring resulting in premature sag not to mention when the vehicle isn't static. To my knowledge, Clayton and Rusty's are the only 2 manufacturers that have diesel specific springs. I may be wrong, but I do think Clayton was the first to do the research and come to market with a diesel engine specific spring. A spring with the appropriate spring rate and shocks that match the spring and weigh of the vehicle will give you the best ride, handling and longevity = satisfaction. A solid bonus, I've heard their customer service is second to none. From previous posts in this forum, they went way out of their way to help an individual troubleshoot an issue, which ended up being the incorrect installation of front upper control arms.
More companies have put out diesel spec springs in the last year or so. Evo added a few, metalcloak has a set, AEV.

But I only have experience with the clayton lift(which is great on and offroad) and experience with metalcloak parts. So far I think you can't go wrong with any of the products either company puts out. Also the phone call metalcloak gives when you order is such a neat touch to build loyal customers. And photo for attention.

PXL_20230815_024738486.jpg

Sponsored

Scott L

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Rubicon Gecko
Occupation
Depends who you ask
Lift on the way I’ll post pictures after install. Haven’t installed a lift in a while :/
What shocks did you end up going with? Right now I'm leaning towards Metalcloak 3.5 with rocks port shocks but also looking at the Rock krawler and Clayton. Metalcloak seems the best fit for my application but am waiting for black Friday cyber Monday before I do anything.

OP
OP

Guitarhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What shocks did you end up going with? Right now I'm leaning towards Metalcloak 3.5 with rocks port shocks but also looking at the Rock krawler and Clayton. Metalcloak seems the best fit for my application but am waiting for black Friday cyber Monday before I do anything.
I got the rocksport. That’s smart, I wish I had that much patience . I kept going back in forth on all the lifts , many choices.

Scott L

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Depends who you ask
I've heard nothing but good things about the Rocksport shocks. Definitely looking like that's going to be what I end up with.

OP
OP

Guitarhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've heard nothing but good things about the Rocksport shocks. Definitely looking like that's going to be what I end up with.
Yeah I can’t find one complaint or bad thing about rocksport or MC

cajun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Gladiator Mojave, 20 JLUR, 18 JLUS
I am not sure how I didnt find this post while researching, but it's awesome! I have a very similar weight setup as @MojaveLawyer (ARB bumper, RSI, etc). I want to stay with 35s and am going to pull the trigger on the 2.5 MC. Any reason I cannot stay with factor Mojave shocks or should I move away from them? Also, I assume a front drive shaft will be necessary with the 2.5 on the Mojave?

Sponsored

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
I am not sure how I didnt find this post while researching, but it's awesome! I have a very similar weight setup as @MojaveLawyer (ARB bumper, RSI, etc). I want to stay with 35s and am going to pull the trigger on the 2.5 MC. Any reason I cannot stay with factor Mojave shocks or should I move away from them? Also, I assume a front drive shaft will be necessary with the 2.5 on the Mojave?
You should be able to if you get the spacers. This being said, you will not gain any flex or articulation.

cajun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You should be able to if you get the spacers. This being said, you will not gain any flex or articulation.
Cool, I am not looking for flex or articulation. Really my goal is to put on a quality kit that can support a heavy bumper/winch combo, RSI cap, steel rear bumper, and retain good driving characteristics with correct caster, etc

Scott L

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Depends who you ask
Call Metalcloak they actually have a human answer the phone and he is extremely helpful. 916-631-8071 I had a very helpful conversation and have reached out via email as well with probably annoying questions but they have always been friendly and helpful. Honestly can't say enough good things about their customer service.

cajun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Call Metalcloak they actually have a human answer the phone and he is extremely helpful. 916-631-8071 I had a very helpful conversation and have reached out via email as well with probably annoying questions but they have always been friendly and helpful. Honestly can't say enough good things about their customer service.
First thing on my list of things to do monday. I appreciate the input

MojaveLawyer

First Name
Agent X
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Law & Veteran
From my personal experience, when I went with the 3.5, the installation required some shock extensions to keep the stock Mojave shocks. However, I stayed with the extensions and shocks until I browsed around, did some research, and got a good deal on the King Shocks. To be completely honest with you, from my experience with the extensions, I did not feel comfortable about it, and I felt that I was not getting the full functionality and performance of those shocks with the extensions on.

That's why I preferred to get the Kings (went way overkill), but the Falcon Adjustable shocks for the 2.5 lift were also on my radar.

Also, MC just released a preview on their Instagram of their new Reservoir Shocks coming out that are currently in the works, they are adjustable like the King Shocks, and look totally 🔥🔥🔥!

As for the drive shaft, it was recommended to have it changed out.
Sponsored