Modify Overland or Order Mojave?

JBOverland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland Gladiator
Can’t decide if should just add lift, track bars and all the other stuff needed to give good clearance for 35’s and maintain off road ability and ride on the Overland or just order a new Mojave (same appointment) as overland but no modification needed to just change tires to 35’s and done. Difference in price after lift and all is only about 3-5k. My biggest concern would be loss of fuel efficiency and comfort as it is a daily driver 60+ miles a day. Also maintain good warranty.
Sponsored

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Can’t decide if should just add lift, track bars and all the other stuff needed to give good clearance for 35’s and maintain off road ability and ride on the Overland or just order a new Mojave (same appointment) as overland but no modification needed to just change tires to 35’s and done. Difference in price after lift and all is only about 3-5k. My biggest concern would be loss of fuel efficiency and comfort as it is a daily driver 60+ miles a day. Also maintain good warranty.
mojave. You can put 35’s on before delivery and be done.

Spcbl1

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Mojave, 1997 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Occupation
IT Director
Get the Mojave, you maintain your warranty and you get the benefit of a rear locker that you can engage in 4hi. Plus the reinforced frame and better suspension components (those external reservoir fox shocks are $1500 each if you add them later).
I was contemplating the same thing you are a few months back. I custom ordered a Mojave and have been very happy. If I don't drive like an asshat I can get 18+ avg with mixed city/highway.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
IMO the only real benefit of the Mojave based on your description is the 4.10 gears. If you got a Sport S with the max tow you could make it as capable as the Mojave for a lot less money.

Silvertruck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I’d review the features and options carefully. If what you are wanting is a highway hauler with some bigger tires I’d lean toward an overland with the budget boost of your choice. Also just keep in mind you’d probably also want to re gear that overland if it has 3.73s.

If you value more stout off road bits and dont mind organge trim, the mojave probably brings the better value off the shelf. Could open a whole new world of off road overlanding.

Really to me jeep has the naming all messed up. The overland should be called the limited and the mojave should be called the overland as its much more trail ready.

Sponsored

Jason Oliver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Mohave, '18 Jeep Renegade Trail Hawk
Occupation
Approaching Retirement
I wondered the same thing.

After reading a LOT here and in the JL forum on lifting, I decided that for the relatively small premium that a stock Mohave costs over a properly lifted other model, I put down my deposit on a custom order Mohave. Every one I found on dealer lots had too many options that I did not want - or not enough of the ones that I did want.

I went back and forth about it for a while before (again) realizing that life is too short to be indecisive. A test drive in a stock Mohave helped.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
IMO the only real benefit of the Mojave based on your description is the 4.10 gears. If you got a Sport S with the max tow you could make it as capable as the Mojave for a lot less money.
what price did you find locally on taking the body off and welding in the frame reinforcements and what does the dana 44 axle assembly cost to add?

there’s a lot more to the Mojave than the über expensive shocks and special springs.

First Name
Jackson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
I just went through the same thinking process you are. I wanted Gator color and my only option was to find a 2020 left over or a 2020 used and other then the Mojave, the Overland was all I wanted. If I went with the Overland I was going to have to lift it to get the tires I wanted on it. Either 35’s or 37’s and then I was stuck with most likely needing to re-gear it also. With the Mojave having a already higher suspension, different front fenders, better shocks, lower gear ratio and a lot of other features, I decided to go with the Mojave. Took a lot of searching to find the color I wanted but New Years Day 2021 will be forever in my memories 😎✌

Last edited:
OP
OP
JBOverland

JBOverland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland Gladiator
Mojave it is. Funny thing is wife told me to just upgrade to the Mojave. I am just a stickler for budgets. Hate to spend the extra money but know in the long run it is what I want. Just hope I am not one of those guys who ends us getting 14 mpg on my daily driver.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
what price did you find locally on taking the body off and welding in the frame reinforcements and what does the dana 44 axle assembly cost to add?

there’s a lot more to the Mojave than the über expensive shocks and special springs.
The reinforcements are cool but realistically when was that last time you heard about a JT frame having a problem in that area or a front axle having knuckle damage? as far as the rear Dana 44 pretty sure the max tow has the same axle with a Trac loc which can be more effective than the open or locked option the Mojave comes with.
The shocks are about the only unique functional parts on the Mojave, there are a ton of spring options out there, you can buy the Mojave springs for around $250 for all 4 but why would you you can do a reasonable 2" lift with specific springs and correct length shocks for the lift, there are many other shock options out there that will perform as good as the Mojave shocks for a fraction of the cost not to mention the vast majority will never push the Mojave to where a remote reservoir is actually a benefit.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I resisted modifying my Sahara, which is equivalent to your Overland, for the first year, mostly concerned with voiding the warranty.

But my dealer offered a sweet deal on the Mopar lift: $2,000 for parts and labor. I couldn't resist; had them do it a couple weeks ago. It is the best of both worlds: got a sweet deal on a good quality lift, and got the dealer to do it so that there are no issues with the warranty. Discount Tire gave me 50% in trade for my KO2s, so that saved me a ton of money, too.

I am super happy with the results: the Jeep drives and rides great, and looks like a million bucks.

It is going in next week for an adjustable YETI trackbar and a pair of JKS Flex Connect swaybar links.

The Mojave is a sweet ride. But if you can get away with it, I recommend spending the time figuring out what you want to do to you Overland, modifying it, and enjoying the journey.

Here are before and after pix:
Jeep Gladiator Modify Overland or Order Mojave? 1609698064395

Jeep Gladiator Modify Overland or Order Mojave? 1609698113898

PS - we tend to underestimate the cost of swapping vehicles when it comes to tax and license. Here is WA, it is $4,000 in taxes on a $50,000 vehicle you never get back.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
The reinforcements are cool but realistically when was that last time you heard about a JT frame having a problem in that area or a front axle having knuckle damage? as far as the rear Dana 44 pretty sure the max tow has the same axle with a Trac loc which can be more effective than the open or locked option the Mojave comes with.
The shocks are about the only unique functional parts on the Mojave, there are a ton of spring options out there, you can buy the Mojave springs for around $250 for all 4 but why would you you can do a reasonable 2" lift with specific springs and correct length shocks for the lift, there are many other shock options out there that will perform as good as the Mojave shocks for a fraction of the cost not to mention the vast majority will never push the Mojave to where a remote reservoir is actually a benefit.
i meant the front axle. Dana 44 assemblies arent cheap. Comparable shocks from Icon are over $2k Plus another 650-700 for the bump stops. So yeah, you can get a “max tow” and get a 4.10 rear and spend several thousand on out of warranty suspension and front axle; and it still isnt a Mojave.

There is no making a Mojave on the cheap even if you start with a Rubicon. Going down the scale further only makes it more so. You may not think its worth it, you may not think you need it, but thats not the question the OP is asking.

the question he is asking is which one is better for overlanding, and the answer is the Mojave.

Last edited:
First Name
Jackson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Mojave it is. Funny thing is wife told me to just upgrade to the Mojave. I am just a stickler for budgets. Hate to spend the extra money but know in the long run it is what I want. Just hope I am not one of those guys who ends us getting 14 mpg on my daily driver.
We had A 15 hour round trip to pick ours up and there was a used one only 30 minutes up the road with 8000 miles on it. Only problem was it didn’t have painted fender flares and didnt Have leather seats, two things that I wanted The guy that traded it lives local and decided he waited a dully truck. If someone was looking for a barely used Mojave it would be a excellent one to get. He even had put after market wheels and 35’s on it. The one we got had a lot more options that I wouldn’t have ordered but after only having it 3 days I’m glad it had them...lol

ClunkyJeep

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
It doesn’t take much to fit 35s on an Overland. If you can trade it and get a good deal then do it. Otherwise just add the Mopar 2” and 35s and enjoy your ride.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Mojave seats are nice. I wish my rubi had them.

They are more comfy than any other trim IMO.
Sponsored