Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
So I've had my Redarc in since 2019. Should I have the TSB done and will I need to remove the diode?
You should have the TSB done. The dealer may not do it unless the error shows up. To get the error to show up will require a harness without the diode. Unless towing in a state that requires the lights to come on whenever the brakes are activated, the diode is okay and the TSB is not really necessary.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
You should have the TSB done. The dealer may not do it unless the error shows up. To get the error to show up will require a harness without the diode. Unless towing in a state that requires the lights to come on whenever the brakes are activated, the diode is okay and the TSB is not really necessary.
Someday - maybe - there will be another fix and another update to the code and it could get applied anyway...... maybe.

av8or

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland ecodiesel (wifes)
Occupation
sentient livestock transport
so has this been rectified for recent brake modules?
ordered one from parts counter couple weeks ago for my wifes new 21 diesel overland and was going to put it in myself, but parts guy said they need to flash computer, and after various threads on here i'm thinking i might just have them put it in when it goes in for the mopar 2" lift, so that way they can't claim any warranty voiding by doing it myself

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
ordered one from parts counter couple weeks ago for my wifes new 21 diesel overland and was going to put it in myself, but parts guy said they need to flash computer, and after various threads on here i'm thinking i might just have them put it in when it goes in for the mopar 2" lift, so that way they can't claim any warranty voiding by doing it myself
It would be very unlikely that there would be any warranty issues by installing yourself, but if you need to take it in and pay them for the flash anyways, it may just be worth the extra minimal cost to just have them handle it. It's not a tough install, just some cramped spaces.

I'd personally just call your service advisor ahead of time and ask if they'll do the flash for free per the TSB, JeepCares and others even posted earlier in this thread that it should be covered by warranty (so free).

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
It would be very unlikely that there would be any warranty issues by installing yourself, but if you need to take it in to them for a flash anyways, it may just be worth the extra minimal cost to just have them handle it. It's not a tough install, just some cramped spaces.
Just watch the price of install...when I was considering the MOPAR trailer brake module, they were quoting me like $350 for the part and another $150 for the install. It's actually plug and play so no major work unless you install the knob where the 12v outlet is then, there are quite a few write ups on that here. I went with the Tekonsha Primus IQ with mine, installed at the trailer dealership for a total of ~$130 (controller and install).

Sponsored

av8or

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It would be very unlikely that there would be any warranty issues by installing yourself, but if you need to take it in and pay them for the flash anyways, it may just be worth the extra minimal cost to just have them handle it. It's not a tough install, just some cramped spaces.

I'd personally just call your service advisor ahead of time and ask if they'll do the flash for free per the TSB, JeepCares and others even posted earlier in this thread that it should be covered by warranty (so free).
yeah i'll call tomorrow and ask them, it'll already be in week after next for the lift kit and the module is already in at parts counter so it won't require a special trip there if i have them do it all then

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You don't need to flash squat, never have had to for the JT.
The ONLY issues were the earlier 2020 models.
The warranty is fine if you install the MOPAR controller yourself. My dealership spent almost 4 hours diagnosing the cluster errors after _I_ installed the brake controller.
NO WARRANTY ISSUES AT ALL, PERIOD.
2021 models will not see the cluster errors. Jeep took care of that with an ABS flash for the early 2020 models.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

NO FLASH for a 2021.
The only reason for a flash was that the early 2020 models had an issue where the ABS freaked out when the signal was seen on the brake light circuit.
Anyone installing the mopar brake controller on a 2021 will have NO issues at all.
Even on the later 2020 models, no issues.
FULL WARRANTY is maintained. The controller has a 2 year warranty by itself, but it's covered as part of the truck once it's installed.

These do not integrate into the cluster like on RAM trucks.

IF someone has a 2021 - there is NO flash needed.

av8or

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You don't need to flash squat, never have had to for the JT.
The ONLY issues were the earlier 2020 models.
The warranty is fine if you install the MOPAR controller yourself. My dealership spent almost 4 hours diagnosing the cluster errors after _I_ installed the brake controller.
NO WARRANTY ISSUES AT ALL, PERIOD.
2021 models will not see the cluster errors. Jeep took care of that with an ABS flash for the early 2020 models.
thanks, i was just relaying what the parts guy told us when we ordered the brake controller when we bought the JT a couple weeks ago
as long as install is pretty straight forward, i'm generally handy/mechanically inclined enough to do it (i've also installed many brake boxes in older pickups years ago), just figured if it needed something done on the service front for install i'd just have em slap it in while they've got it in for the lift

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
thanks, i was just relaying what the parts guy told us when we ordered the brake controller when we bought the JT a couple weeks ago
as long as install is pretty straight forward, i'm generally handy/mechanically inclined enough to do it (i've also installed many brake boxes in older pickups years ago), just figured if it needed something done on the service front for install i'd just have em slap it in while they've got it in for the lift
The only real catch is removing the 12volt outlet - which is where the MOPAR brake controller knob/dial must go. It takes a tool to remove it (sort of a T shaped piece of metal). It can be done without, but it's a royal pain!!
The rest isn't nearly as tough.
You will have warranty on that brake controller no matter who installs it.
How much it costs to install is dependent on the dealer's shop rates.
The advantage of paying them is that the install itself is covered by the dealership - if they screw up any part, break or crack anything, it's on them.
The part itself is covered either way.

Sponsored

av8or

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The only real catch is removing the 12volt outlet - which is where the MOPAR brake controller knob/dial must go. It takes a tool to remove it (sort of a T shaped piece of metal). It can be done without, but it's a royal pain!!
The rest isn't nearly as tough.
You will have warranty on that brake controller no matter who installs it.
How much it costs to install is dependent on the dealer's shop rates.
The advantage of paying them is that the install itself is covered by the dealership - if they screw up any part, break or crack anything, it's on them.
The part itself is covered either way.
yeah that's a concern for me as well, i have a bunch of trim/interior tools but probably not the right one, we kind of need to keep the 12v outlet for a charger so i was going to relocate it to the pax side foot well of the center stack which i'm sure they'll gladly tack on extra hours rather than including the install with the lift work. checking with service person to see about that

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
yeah that's a concern for me as well, i have a bunch of trim/interior tools but probably not the right one, we kind of need to keep the 12v outlet for a charger so i was going to relocate it to the pax side foot well of the center stack which i'm sure they'll gladly tack on extra hours rather than including the install with the lift work. checking with service person to see about that
I RARELY ever use a 12v outlet, however, after buying a wreath for the grill (that's got LED lights in it) that plugs into a 12v outlet, and getting a couple of other things that can run off a 12v outlet, I decided to move mine over to the glove box area. It literally lays in the glove box. I plan on moving to a better spot but for now, since there's a tiny gap at the glove box when it's closed, that will work until I get it planted right where I want it. I want to keep it up front, near the dash.
On the other hand, I had thought about adding a simple 12v outlet of some sort to plug into under the hood. The good thing is if I shut off the truck and walk away, that wreath will go out, too. I know LED won't drain that battery but still.......

av8or

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I RARELY ever use a 12v outlet, however, after buying a wreath for the grill (that's got LED lights in it) that plugs into a 12v outlet, and getting a couple of other things that can run off a 12v outlet, I decided to move mine over to the glove box area. It literally lays in the glove box. I plan on moving to a better spot but for now, since there's a tiny gap at the glove box when it's closed, that will work until I get it planted right where I want it. I want to keep it up front, near the dash.
On the other hand, I had thought about adding a simple 12v outlet of some sort to plug into under the hood. The good thing is if I shut off the truck and walk away, that wreath will go out, too. I know LED won't drain that battery but still.......
a wreath? i suppose i should ask you for a link to that for the wife lol

just spoke to service gal, she said she was 99.9% sure there was still a sales code thing that had to be programmed into the brake box after install for the computer but that the other stuff was rectified
she also implied it would make more sense for me to take a stab at installing it and then if i had issues they could do it while its in the shop (of course taking more time and labor hours).

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
a wreath? i suppose i should ask you for a link to that for the wife lol

just spoke to service gal, she said she was 99.9% sure there was still a sales code thing that had to be programmed into the brake box after install for the computer but that the other stuff was rectified
she also implied it would make more sense for me to take a stab at installing it and then if i had issues they could do it while its in the shop (of course taking more time and labor hours).
There's no sales code stuff to worry about. That was for Wrangler. And the only issues these had were with early 2020. Otherwise, what comes in the box is literally all you need (other than the tool to remove the 12v outlet)

The PDF files here are basically just different versions of the same thing. Disregard any sales code stuff, no cable is needed, no flash is needed (unless built prior to a date in January 2020).

Attachments

rchandler341

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I installed this by myself. It is pretty simple and it works flawlessly on my 2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel.
Just FYI.
Sponsored