Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Here's what I was talking about, my main beef with it after the dust settles - with this issue, I won't be towing with this controller unless Jeep has a fix -
(and yes, it happens trailer or not)

Sponsored

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Well the ACC thing might be it or might not, only a couple samples so far and it could be as low as three with no problems and three with similar problems. We now do know it doesn’t matter if you install the controller as per directions or as it came improoerly mounted on some plates
There is a poll for installed units here post there your results...jack

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Things of note that it disables -
Auto park
Stability control, traction control
ACC
ESS

I tried to push the disable buttons for each and then push them again thinking toggling things like ESS, stability control, etc. might fix at least those. No joy.
It requires a reboot (of the truck - shut off, restart)

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
One thing I noted when I checked the Redarc harness - that's no ordinary diode in there. It is a Zener by any chance? I'll have to bone up on checking with my Fluke....
Normally in diode check mode you get an audible signal one direction indicating continuity - current flow. Then when you switch the Fluke leads around, you get nothing, NO current flow, no continuity. It's the diode blocking flow that direction.

In this case with the Redarc harness, I got the normal check, current blocked, no audible signal, 0 on the meter display with the leads one direction.
But when I reversed the leads it gave me the audible signal that it allowed current - but just for about .5 (1/2) second, then it stopped and read resistance.
This indicated that it blocked flow 100% one way and blocked most of it the other way but allowed SOME flow and showed a high resistance reading.
Interesting. IF I was testing diodes on an alternator or even another electronic circuit, I'd have FAILED that diode.
IT should flow one way with minimal resistance, minimal voltage drop and totally block it the other way.
The Redarc harness totally blocked it one way, and allowed limited flow the other way like a Zener or some other special diode may act. It was unique.

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
One thing I noted when I checked the Redarc harness - that's no ordinary diode in there. It is a Zener by any chance? I'll have to bone up on checking with my Fluke....
Normally in diode check mode you get an audible signal one direction indicating continuity - current flow. Then when you switch the Fluke leads around, you get nothing, NO current flow, no continuity. It's the diode blocking flow that direction.

In this case with the Redarc harness, I got the normal check, current blocked, no audible signal, 0 on the meter display with the leads one direction.
But when I reversed the leads it gave me the audible signal that it allowed current - but just for about .5 (1/2) second, then it stopped and read resistance.
This indicated that it blocked flow 100% one way and blocked most of it the other way but allowed SOME flow and showed a high resistance reading.
Interesting. IF I was testing diodes on an alternator or even another electronic circuit, I'd have FAILED that diode.
IT should flow one way with minimal resistance, minimal voltage drop and totally block it the other way.
The Redarc harness totally blocked it one way, and allowed limited flow the other way like a Zener or some other special diode may act. It was unique.
My Redarc harness does the exact same thing and I believe the Tekonsha 3073-P did as well. Mine should be here on Wednesday, I’ll test it when it gets here and report back.

Also interested to hear how you do on the warranty claim. We definitely have a leg to stand on since it doesn’t work as it’s supposed to.

Sponsored

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Hyundai Veracruz & 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon LE
Just got quote from Dealer. They want $534 installed! 301 for part and the rest is labor. YIKES! He did say however, there is a software "activation" in the process and they quote 1 hour labor for install.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Am at dealer now and they r totally baffled!
The adh sales code caght them first so i xplained that's not a jt code it's wrangler jt has no such code. They r scratching their heads!

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have the answer! More when i get home. (And u wont like it)

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
No fix until next year. More later.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I spent over half a day getting the definitive answer on this from FCA/JEEP.
Kudos and a huge thanks out to the folks at Dewey Dodge/Jeep/Ram in Ankeny, Iowa.
Their tech spent about THREE HOURS on this and called numerous people including those in PARTS DEVELOPMENT. He went to the top of the food chain. He used my JT to experiment on and use as an example.

There is no fix yet. Not from Jeep.
And in answer to the back and forth "there's a flash" and "no there's not" - there is not.
That according to the guy who worked with all this. This is a plug and play controller.
The shop agreed the instructions are garbage, confusing and WRONG.

Jeep KNOWS about this and has known.
That harness pictured in the instructions is the FIX.
Toss that reference to ADH. Ignore that part if you have a Gladiator. He confirmed there is no ADH for Gladiator.
If you have a JT and have this controller, you need that harness to avoid errors and the tech believes to comply with CA laws regarding trailer brake lights when you hit trailer brakes ONLY.

It's not based on whether or not you have the towing package or wiring to the back or anything at all.
That harness doesn't add trailer wiring - it taps into EXISTING wiring that's already there on all JTs.
The need for that harness is strictly based on CODES the controller throws, to prevent those errors and to add trailer brake lights when you manually apply the trailer brakes.

So that means if you have problems, you need that harness. (at least to make it right - use at your own risk otherwise.)

What happened is that Jeep released the controller part number 8221 5652 AA
They realized they had a problem - errors were being reported, so they released a revision 8221 5652 AB which is what I have.
The ONLY difference is the instructions - they added the reference to that other harness.
What that harness does is not what we thought!

That harness referenced in the documents disconnects the brake light wire from the controller to the truck and routes it to the back and ties into the existing trailer brake wiring and adds electronics to prevent feedback.
They had to do this to FIX the issue we see and according to the tech, likely to make it California compliant - that's at least what the tech said after looking at the lame pictures in the instructions. He said that harness we need removes a wire at the controller and re-routes it back, BYPASSING the trucks brake light circuits.
His clue was in these codes - and his answer was in telling Jeep parts development people what codes he was seeing (see his printout below)
These errors were what led him to the solution.

Basically, FCA/Jeep's answer to this is - if it throws codes you need this harness.
It will be available February of 2021.

There is no other fix unless you want to put a diode in the harness like some did early with other controllers, or when we installed the Redarc Ram harness for their controller which had a diode in it.

This is not a flash issue as there's no flash for this.
That is from the dealership - and the tech who talked to the parts development people.
This is a "oops, we were not ready, we figured adding to the instructions would take care of it" but "oops, we don't have a harness yet".

This below is what happens when you push that button - I was correct in that it's FEEDBACK into the brake light circuit - look at the code "stop lamp control general electrical failure" Yup, that would do it. It throws those codes. Stop lamp control - uh, yea, the controller is feeding power into the brake light system and causing it to have a migraine.

Jeep Gladiator Mopar factory trailer brake controller - my impressions and review 20201102_134250

Last edited:

Aberk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Viper, 2020 Rubicon JT
Alright...so I'm buying a diode...

atoy74

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
I spent over half a day getting the definitive answer on this from FCA/JEEP.
Kudos and a huge thanks out to the folks at Dewey Dodge/Jeep/Ram in Ankeny, Iowa.
Their tech spent about THREE HOURS on this and called numerous people including those in PARTS DEVELOPMENT. He went to the top of the food chain.

There is no fix yet. Not from Jeep.
And in answer to the back and forth "there's a flash" and "no there's not" - there is not.
That according to the guy who worked with all this. This is a plug and play controller.
The shop agreed the instructions are garbage, confusing and WRONG.

Jeep KNOWS about this and has known.
That harness pictured in the instructions is the FIX.
Toss that reference to ADH. Ignore that part if you have a Gladiator. He confirmed there is no ADH for Gladiator.
If you have a JT and have this controller, you need that harness to avoid errors and the tech believes to comply with CA laws regarding trailer brake lights when you hit trailer brakes ONLY.

It's not based on whether or not you have the towing package or wiring to the back or anything at all.
That harness doesn't add trailer wiring - it taps into EXISTING wiring that's already there on all JTs.
The need for that harness is strictly based on CODES the controller throws, to prevent those errors and to add trailer brake lights when you manually apply the trailer brakes.

So that means if you have problems, you need that harness. (at least to make it right - use at your own risk otherwise.)

What happened is that Jeep released the controller part number 8221 5652 AA
They realized they had a problem - errors were being reported, so they released a revision 8221 5652 AB which is what I have.
The ONLY difference is the instructions - they added the reference to that other harness.
What that harness does is not what we thought!

That harness referenced in the documents disconnects the brake light wire from the controller to the truck and routes it to the back and ties into the existing trailer brake wiring and adds electronics to prevent feedback.
They had to do this to FIX the issue we see and according to the tech, likely to make it California compliant - that's at least what the tech said after looking at the lame pictures in the instructions. He said that harness we need removes a wire at the controller and re-routes it back, BYPASSING the trucks brake light circuits.
His clue was in these codes - and his answer was in telling Jeep parts development people what codes he was seeing (see his printout below)
These errors were what led him to the solution.

Basically, FCA/Jeep's answer to this is - if it throws codes you need this harness.
It will be available February of 2021.

There is no other fix unless you want to put a diode in the harness like some did early with other controllers, or when we installed the Redarc Ram harness for their controller which had a diode in it.

This is not a flash issue as there's no flash for this.
That is from the dealership - and the tech who talked to the parts development people.
This is a "oops, we were not ready, we figured adding to the instructions would take care of it" but "oops, we don't have a harness yet".

This below is what happens when you push that button - I was correct in that it's FEEDBACK into the brake light circuit - look at the code "stop lamp control general electrical failure" Yup, that would do it. It throws those codes. Stop lamp control - uh, yea, the controller is feeding power into the brake light system and causing it to have a migraine.

Jeep Gladiator Mopar factory trailer brake controller - my impressions and review 20201102_134250
First, thanks a bunch for going through all that hassle. What a PITA.

I'm a little confused though. What harness are we talking about exactly? Is it the cable that physically connects the controller to the trailer brake harness? Is that the one that needs to be updated?

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Right now I am so happy I went with Redarc....

Aberk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Viper, 2020 Rubicon JT
First, thanks a bunch for going through all that hassle. What a PITA.

I'm a little confused though. What harness are we talking about exactly? Is it the cable that physically connects the controller to the trailer brake harness? Is that the one that needs to be updated?

If you look in the instructions, there is a whole section about running wires to the trailer plugs at the back of the truck. It was originally assumed that this was for JLs, but that is incorrect. This is to fix a manufacturing issue on the truck where the correct harness was not run to the trailer connectors at the back of the truck.
Sponsored