Not open for further replies.

Flux

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Do these bed rails work with the Bak X4S bed cover by chance?
Sponsored

u-joint

First Name
Inigo Montoya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Yes
I just did this install today - before reading this thread. I came here to ask about the missing bolts. Glad to see I'm not the only one who didn't receive the bolts for the nutsert.

I guess they stopped including those at some point? Are they even necessary? Sounds like a PITA, and if the kit didn't include them part of me is tempted to not worry about it. Just curious if there's any real reason to add them - and if so, why on earth did Jeep skimp on two bolts in a $350 set!

Ingram81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Overland 4x4
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Hey guys. I was installing today. First rivnut is spinning and the bolt is basically sitting flush on the rivnut face. I screwed up...I know. But it slipped when I was torquing it down and I was like WHAT!!!. shouldve gone the nut and washer route. Any suggestions on what to do?

USMC_1Wire6337

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport S/MT; 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 6.4 HEMI
Occupation
IT

Ingram81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer

Sponsored

USMC_1Wire6337

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Thats not going to help at this point. What can I do to get the bolt out / stop rivnut from spinning?
Didn't catch that bolt was stuck in the nut. If the bolt isn't too tight, you may be able to wedge a flathead screwdriver behind the lip to get enough friction to stop the spinning.

If it is in the right spot, you may be able to get someone with small hands and a set of pliers to hold the back of the nut through the inner fender well.

If the bolt head is smaller in diameter, you might be able to catch the nut with some vise grip pliers.

I had this happen to me on a set of steps for my Ram, but was lucky enough that drill driver was able to pop the nut out. I had to go the tool route since the hole was round after that.

Ingram81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Yes sir. Ill get a photo to show. I read somewhere to try JB weld but not sure if it will work with my bed liner coating or if Im skilled enough to not get any on the bolt as well.

Ingram81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Didn't catch that bolt was stuck in the nut. If the bolt isn't too tight, you may be able to wedge a flathead screwdriver behind the lip to get enough friction to stop the spinning.

If it is in the right spot, you may be able to get someone with small hands and a set of pliers to hold the back of the nut through the inner fender well.

If the bolt head is smaller in diameter, you might be able to catch the nut with some vise grip pliers.

I had this happen to me on a set of steps for my Ram, but was lucky enough that drill driver was able to pop the nut out. I had to go the tool route since the hole was round after that.
I got it fixed. Removed tail light (2 8mm screws) gave me access to the back of the rivnut. then it was a 10mm long socket on the back of the rivnut and BAM. got the bolt out. then took my tool (same tool you linked too - thank you) and squeezed that SOB down. installed that last rail. apparently though the kit shipped 2 bolts shy. but whatever at this point. just wanted to get the rail installed. dont care about the bolts going into those rivnuts as much as the ones going into the side panels.

USMC_1Wire6337

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
I got it fixed. Removed tail light (2 8mm screws) gave me access to the back of the rivnut. then it was a 10mm long socket on the back of the rivnut and BAM. got the bolt out. then took my tool (same tool you linked too - thank you) and squeezed that SOB down. installed that last rail. apparently though the kit shipped 2 bolts shy. but whatever at this point. just wanted to get the rail installed. dont care about the bolts going into those rivnuts as much as the ones going into the side panels.
I am glad it worked out. Rivnuts are ingenious little pains in the ass

Ingram81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I am glad it worked out. Rivnuts are ingenious little pains in the ass
That's not a joke. I can see where they can be a quick solution engineering wise on thin metal. But if they dont grip its pointless. TBH - I dont see what it wouldve been for Jeep to tack weld nuts on those like they did with the other mounting holes. Kinda irked that the rivnut let go and I had the torque wrench under the value on the instructions...

USMC_1Wire6337

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
That's not a joke. I can see where they can be a quick solution engineering wise on thin metal. But if they dont grip its pointless. TBH - I dont see what it wouldve been for Jeep to tack weld nuts on those like they did with the other mounting holes. Kinda irked that the rivnut let go and I had the torque wrench under the value on the instructions...
I agree. I have never had good luck setting them with bolts. If at all possible I use a tool to set them. Just too easy to have them spin and strip out.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.