Sponsored

Mounting GMRS antenna

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security

Jay Gatsby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red JT
In other news Rugged Radios is finally under investigation by the FCC. They really just take Chinese items and mark them up.

https://www.fcc.gov/document/eb-issues-citation-rugged-radios-equipment-marketing-violations
I get what RR is doing. But IMO they're taking advantage of people who don't know any better. Same radios can be bought for 1/2 of the price from China companies such as Baofeng. And if they're programed outside the frequency band, shame on them. Don't know if it's illegal or just good marketing.

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Jeep club members all bought these and most run them without licenses. I've warned them to get Midlands and licenses, but they don't care. We'll see how this shakes out. I hope they nail it because it will benefit companies like Midland that follow the rules to a T.

Man the FCC is slow. All those bureaucrats there and it took them this long to get around to looking at one of the most blatant and visibile violators out there. If they don't do something about RR and others, then I say we save the money wasted on the FCC and other ineffective gov't agencies, for that matter, that have just become jobs programs and cronyism tools.

Sponsored

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
I almost went RR....but people on here talked me into Midland. Glad I did. I have an FCC license and working on the GMRS paperwork now.

My Jeep club members all bought these and most run them without licenses. I've warned them to get Midlands and licenses, but they don't care. We'll see how this shakes out. I hope they nail it because it will benefit companies like Midland that follow the rules to a T.

Man the FCC is slow. All those bureaucrats there and it took them this long to get around to looking at one of the most blatant and visibile violators out there. If they don't do something about RR and others, then I say we save the money wasted on the FCC and other ineffective gov't agencies, for that matter, that have just become jobs programs and cronyism tools.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I almost went RR....but people on here talked me into Midland. Glad I did. I have an FCC license and working on the GMRS paperwork now.
More and more repeaters are popping up, as well. I haven't sat down to figure out how to use them or go about getting permission, but the potential is there for these things to really reach out. Plus, they are becoming fun in and of themselves, not just with Jeeps. They are sort of like HAM light. Lighter on the wallet and light on time invested to get up and running, legally.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Education
To me it is also cheap insurance. I mean during DD duties, it sits in my truck. I do check the NOAA weather report on the way to my morning trail run.... But it's one of those you have it and if you didn't you'd be in a spot where you wish you did. I'd like to start overloading and this was one of those necessities. Plus the groups I wheel with use them and I would like to do Jeep Jamboree as well. No more borrowing a hand held.

More and more repeaters are popping up, as well. I haven't sat down to figure out how to use them or go about getting permission, but the potential is there for these things to really reach out. Plus, they are becoming fun in and of themselves, not just with Jeeps. They are sort of like HAM light. Lighter on the wallet and light on time invested to get up and running, legally.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Who makes a decent antenna you can mount on a piece of flat stock? They all seem to be magnetic or have a really large base

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Who makes a decent antenna you can mount on a piece of flat stock? They all seem to be magnetic or have a really large base
The kind of base they use is required, but Midland makes an antenna cable that can come apart and fit through a tight space, so its not too bad. I do like the Rugged Radios JK/JL mount. It keeps the antenna behind the A pillar where I can't see it and my cowling lights can't reflect off of it.

Reactions: Mac

Sponsored

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Education
Reactions: Mac

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I get what RR is doing. But IMO they're taking advantage of people who don't know any better. Same radios can be bought for 1/2 of the price from China companies such as Baofeng. And if they're programed outside the frequency band, shame on them. Don't know if it's illegal or just good marketing.
They tried a grey area where they licensed some space via the FCC and then state you can only use that space with one of their radios. Thing is neither part of that is allowable under FCC rules. If it was I could see the mark up being somewhat legit, but under what they are doing they sold an illegal product to consumers that could come back on the individuals for breaking the law.

prerunner1982

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokees
They are sort of like HAM light. Lighter on the wallet...
Fairly common misconception.
A 2m monoband ham radio (50-85 watts) from one of the big 4 (Icom, Kenwood, Yeasu, Alinco) can be had for $150-$160.
The MXT-115/MXT-275 GMRS mobile radio (15 watts) from Midland is $150.
The MXT-400 GMRS mobile radio (40 watts) from Midland is $250.
For $250 you can get a dual band ham radio from Yaesu, Icom, or Alinco.

...and light on time invested to get up and running, legally.
I can agree with that when it comes to studying and taking the test.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fairly common misconception.
A 2m monoband ham radio (50-85 watts) from one of the big 4 (Icom, Kenwood, Yeasu, Alinco) can be had for $150-$160.
The MXT-115/MXT-275 GMRS mobile radio (15 watts) from Midland is $150.
The MXT-400 GMRS mobile radio (40 watts) from Midland is $250.
For $250 you can get a dual band ham radio from Yaesu, Icom, or Alinco.

I can agree with that when it comes to studying and taking the test.
That's nice, but the courses and licensing add up, too, especially when you consider the time. I know it is worth it for many, but just not for me. Too much time/effort. The GMRS license was as easy as entering a credit card number. Plus, the license covers immediate family. That's more money and time saved.

In addition, the Midland GMRS 15 watt radios can be had periodically for 20% off and free shipping. That's $120 and it includes an antenna. Yes, a tiny one, but it will get you going right out of the box for no additional $.

I am well aware that HAM has far greater capabilities, so that's worth something again to many, but not for my uses, at least at this time. So I'm not dissing HAM. I'm just saying GMRS is a far superior communications tool than CB, but easier/cheaper than HAM. Like I said, Ham light.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I am a dealer for Midland and am working on my install now. I will be working with a PCTEL glass mount antenna on the rear window as I do not intend to remove the hard top. Additionally, I am reserving the Topsy Products fender NMO mount for a dual band antenna for my HAM rig
Which antenna are you going to use from PCTEL as I wouldn't never take my full top off either
Sponsored