Sponsored

Mounting GMRS antenna

ShastaJT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy`s JT
So for the radio i have it mounted opposite side on the passenger side of the gear shift. i have it mounted with Velcro on the plastic and the mounting bracket. I didn't want to screw into the plastic console. I have it wired to one of the aux switches, that way it only comes on when i turn the switch on and it's not always drawing current from the battery. As for the antenna i used a bracket i got from Rugged Radios for 20 bucks. I have the Midland MXT 400 with a 6 db antenna

20210201_121313.jpg

20210201_120423.jpg
Have you had any issues with the passenger side antenna mount? I'm brand new to the radio thing. Seems most people mount on the driver's side, but I'd like to do the passenger side like that as it will simplify the wiring. Had wondered if I'd get interference mounting it so close to the FM antenna.
Sponsored

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Generally you want 1/4 wave separation between antennas, but broadcast FM's 100mhz vs GMRS's 462mhz is a pretty good spread too.

I went with the Topsy mounts since they are located a few more inches forward for my CB and ham antennas.

OP
OP
Lucifer

Lucifer

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Have you had any issues with the passenger side antenna mount? I'm brand new to the radio thing. Seems most people mount on the driver's side, but I'd like to do the passenger side like that as it will simplify the wiring. Had wondered if I'd get interference mounting it so close to the FM antenna.
[/QUO

That's why i did it like that, i have the radio wired to an aux switch.. all are connected to the vehicle, no matter if it's right next to each other or 3 feet apart. You'll either have interference or you won't the cables are shielded to prevent interference.

Smess

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel, 2021 392, 1982 J10
When you go to order it says you cant use the passenger side if you have the am/fm antenna but I see you still have it and have the antenna on the passengers side?

Sponsored

AZCooWhip

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
I got the 3db Midland Ghost antenna mounted to a cowl mount from CoolTech LLC

Jeep Gladiator Mounting GMRS antenna 974A4822-D76A-4BFE-BB4B-C1C27D44A74A
Jeep Gladiator Mounting GMRS antenna 974A4822-D76A-4BFE-BB4B-C1C27D44A74A
Got same. How’s the reception on that Ghost? I picked up their 6db as well just in case.

Did you run cable through fire wall?

Rubi_Rhod

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR 6MT, '55 Manx Clone Bug
Build Thread
Link
Got same. How’s the reception on that Ghost? I picked up their 6db as well just in case.

Did you run cable through fire wall?
Haven’t been out yet to test it unfortunately. Excited tho, as I also have the 6db antenna to try and my buds have also got into the game recently so will be able to see how reception is as soon as the snow melts off the trails here and they open back up.
And yep, ran through a grommet under the brake booster/clutch and then poked a hole in the plastic firewall cover on the inside. (In the pic just aside the spring seen)

Jeep Gladiator Mounting GMRS antenna 4C55E885-0142-4EE1-BDB8-0B1D8C01CE62
Jeep Gladiator Mounting GMRS antenna 534DFA58-AE02-458F-9FFF-E957F11506BA
Jeep Gladiator Mounting GMRS antenna 1CEA1927-CCCA-4775-A2B1-911F7E37E094

AZCooWhip

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Haven’t been out yet to test it unfortunately. Excited tho, as I also have the 6db antenna to try and my buds have also got into the game recently so will be able to see how reception is as soon as the snow melts off the trails here and they open back up.
And yep, ran through a grommet under the brake booster/clutch and then poked a hole in the plastic firewall cover on the inside. (In the pic just aside the spring seen)

Cool. That’s the ticket And what was i was looking for. Thanks!

pluikens

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Consultant
Vehicle Showcase
I got the 3db Midland Ghost antenna mounted to a cowl mount from CoolTech LLC

I've been looking for just this mount. Did you order just the bracket and mount from CoolTech or did you need the bracket, NMO adapter, and coax cable? Thanks!

Rubi_Rhod

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR 6MT, '55 Manx Clone Bug
Build Thread
Link
I've been looking for just this mount. Did you order just the bracket and mount from CoolTech or did you need the bracket, NMO adapter, and coax cable? Thanks!

I ordered it all from CoolTech. They are 2 separate items (Antenna, Bracket with NMO and Coax). If you order the mount from cooltech, it has drop down for their kit which is a little custom to include longer leads than the standard 6', with removeable end to make threading the interior antenna connector through passages easier, and the washers/spacers for the NMO antenna.

Sponsored

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
I did the same. Took them a hot min to ship, but I liked the end result.

I ordered it all from CoolTech. They are 2 separate items (Antenna, Bracket with NMO and Coax). If you order the mount from cooltech, it has drop down for their kit which is a little custom to include longer leads than the standard 6', with removeable end to make threading the interior antenna connector through passages easier, and the washers/spacers for the NMO antenna.

49Gramps

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired Fire & EMS Dispatcher
Admittedly, I have no idea if this is at all feasible, but would Midland's small magnet mount antenna work upside down stuck to a small metal disc epoxied to the roof? Or sideways from the roll bar? It's not a metal roof, and I know the Sirius Radio antenna worked well mounted under my LJ's hardtop.

prerunner1982

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokees
Admittedly, I have no idea if this is at all feasible, but would Midland's small magnet mount antenna work upside down stuck to a small metal disc epoxied to the roof? Or sideways from the roll bar? It's not a metal roof, and I know the Sirius Radio antenna worked well mounted under my LJ's hardtop.
Upside down would probably work better than sideways as there is some signal loss using horizontal polarization when everyone else is using vertical polarization.
Midland offers a small "ghost" antenna and I believe I recall someone(s) mounting it on top of their roll bar in a JL so it may work as well for the JT and it would be mounted in the correct orientation.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
No way I'm transmitting UHF 25watts through a gain antenna inside my cab with the antenna placed near my head? Buy a bracket and put it on the fender or use a handheld.

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Upside down would probably work better than sideways as there is some signal loss using horizontal polarization when everyone else is using vertical polarization.
Midland offers a small "ghost" antenna and I believe I recall someone(s) mounting it on top of their roll bar in a JL so it may work as well for the JT and it would be mounted in the correct orientation.
Surprised no one mentioned this. Seems like a slick option, though I believe you have to move the XM antenna (Maximus makes a relocation bracket).
Jeep Gladiator Mounting GMRS antenna D3330974-6E54-4946-B724-A93493E36921

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/gmrs-antenna-mounting.7307/post-1112849
Sponsored