First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Renegade is one of the worst sellers in the Jeep family. Therefore, it will have limited parts, etc. A Wrangler is the best seller, and no shortage of parts, aftermarket support, and free knowledge base.

I almost bought a Chevy SS, but only ~12,000 were sold in the states. Other than the engine, pretty much everything is going to be scarce for repair/replacement.
Sponsored

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Renegade is one of the worst sellers in the Jeep family. Therefore, it will have limited parts, etc. A Wrangler is the best seller, and no shortage of parts, aftermarket support, and free knowledge base.

I almost bought a Chevy SS, but only ~12,000 were sold in the states. Other than the engine, pretty much everything is going to be scarce for repair/replacement.
They actually sell over 100k a year world wide so I wouldn't honestly be too worried about parts unless you are planning to keep this 10 years or more.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
lol this just reminds me that every time I'm at an auto show where they do the off-road demonstrations no one ever wants to ride in the non-JL/JT or full-size Bronco. The driver in the renegade or bronco sport just rides around the track alone all day listening to a podcast or something.

That said - I've always kinda thought what you say would be true. Still just not for me.
They’re definitely not for everyone. Just defending the off road ability. If his dad wants one, he’d like it. Someone that doesn’t like them, won’t. :)

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
They actually sell over 100k a year world wide so I wouldn't honestly be too worried about parts unless you are planning to keep this 10 years or more.
We had zero problems with ours, and small things I replaced were available next day.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
shhhhh... trying to help a brother out, man.

;)

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
shhhhh... trying to help a brother out, man.

;)
Pushing someone to get a vehicle they don’t want will seldom end well. Many have said it. Wranglers and Gladiators are great, if you’re the kind of person that likes them. If you’re not one of those, you’ll likely hate it.

Padre

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Pastor
My wife wanted a Bronco sport and I steered her to the Renegade Trail Hawk and she loves it. She takes if off road all the time and we have upgraded it with tires and lift and she is constantly looking at more after market parts just like me for my Gladiator. That being said, as a man, I would rather have a Gladiator or Wrangler. Renegade is a great car for your daughter.

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
lol this just reminds me that every time I'm at an auto show where they do the off-road demonstrations no one ever wants to ride in the non-JL/JT or full-size Bronco. The driver in the renegade or bronco sport just rides around the track alone all day listening to a podcast or something.

That said - I've always kinda thought what you say would be true. Still just not for me.
Thats so true lol. We went to a Bronco event and they had 2 broncos on site that you could sit in. We were leaving and they offered to let us drive the sport, we all declined lol.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
My wife wanted a Bronco sport and I steered her to the Renegade Trail Hawk and she loves it. She takes if off road all the time and we have upgraded it with tires and lift and she is constantly looking at more after market parts just like me for my Gladiator. That being said, as a man, I would rather have a Gladiator or Wrangler. Renegade is a great car for your daughter.
my mom constantly asks for my recommendations on certain things to buy. Then she goes "oh, that's too expensive." Then buys an even more expensive option. Like the last new car. She wanted an CUV to replace their RAV4. I give her options around a $40k price point, including an offer sheet for a loaded Q5 @ $42k that she says is too expensive. She gets a $50k Volvo.

I was able to steer my wife away from the Tacoma option by saying "convertible truck."

Motoarch

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
Occupation
Architect
Drive one before you make that claim. Fully removable roof as well. It’s not a wrangler, but I will defend its capability. If you haven’t driven one on a serious trail, go do it. You’ll likely be surprised.
How does this go on a 'serious trail'?

Jeep Gladiator My dad wants a Renegade Trailhawk but I'm trying to get him into a Wrangler Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 5.05.32 PM

Sponsored

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
Pushing someone to get a vehicle they don’t want will seldom end well. Many have said it. Wranglers and Gladiators are great, if you’re the kind of person that likes them. If you’re not one of those, you’ll likely hate it.
Fair enough. I don't recall the OP saying his father did not want a Wrangler. But let's ask the OP...

He wants something short and actually 4x4 so he can use it for hunting on ranch/orchards in far northern CA.

They're similar cost, almost identical in size externally, and I believe the Wrangler has better interior size. Any reason why he should look at the Renegade outside of gas mileage?
@Orange01z28, what are the factors driving your father to want a Renegade? Is he adverse to looking at the Wrangler? As many have said, it seems to be an apples/oranges comparison and we're assuming you're looking for our opinions because you posted the thread in the first place...

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
So I some what fit this thread perfectly, I have a JT sport S, and my GF has the Renegade Trailhawk. I'll be honest in saying I wasn't a fan of the Renegade when it was first announced, but after actually sitting in one I actually like it quite a bit, even with both of us being very tall.

While they seem small on the outside, they feel cavernous on the inside, especially after being used to sitting in a JL/JT. They've got great visibility, but cargo space may cause you issues. While the power train is lack luster compared to the JL/JT, we both find it does plenty well for the Renegade. It has the turbo powerplant, and the only complaint with it is the delay from a stop. After the turbo builds pressure though, it scoots right along. While it's probably a hair overpriced for what it brings to the table, I do think it's got better off road chops than it's competition, and the funky look is appealing to both of us (I know this likely isn't a popular opinion on this forum though). Luckily she bought it early in the pandemic, and there was about $5k worth of rebates on it so that helped her choose it vs some other models. We drove it a bit this winter through some snow storms and it's snow mode did well, and climbed some very steep snow covered inclines without much slippage at all.

All in all, we're both glad she got it and I also enjoy some spirited driving in it when we're about and about in town. Its great for grocery runs and small parking spaces, but I don't think I'd own it as the sole vehicle in the garage as you'll likely need more cargo space for certain daily activities.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
How does this go on a 'serious trail'?

Jeep Gladiator My dad wants a Renegade Trailhawk but I'm trying to get him into a Wrangler Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 5.05.32 PM
How is that a renegade? I get it, formerly Fiat Chrysler. You might as well post a picture of a Sebring or Maserati.