Sponsored

My Gladiator is the most polarizing vehicle I’ve ever owned.

ntwrkguru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Jeep Wrangler, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
First post here for me. I’ve had my Glad a week. My one daughter hates it and can’t believe I traded my blacked out Ram for “an ugly Jeep truck”. My other daughter loves it. Today, at the hardware store, a random dude asked if he could look inside. If anyone in a mall crawler JK offered a snide comment about a real Jeep, I’d gladly offer for them to take a peek at my 87 Wrangler.
Sponsored

PEI-Gladys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black JTR
Occupation
Ed Tech
This vehicle definitely elicits comments from the public - but then my wife and I seem to gravitate towards vehicles that do that. When we got married back in 1971 she had just bought a brand new AMC Gremlin (anybody remember them?)! A funny-looking car, but it preformed quite well - we used it to tow a U-Haul trailer from California to North Carolina, then back to California. It had about 200,000 miles on it when it got T-boned out from under us in 1974. In 2008 we bought a smart car - another funny-looking car, but took us all over when we weren't towing it behind our motorhome. But if you really want to attract attention try riding a motorcycle with a sidecar! A simple stop for gas could end up taking an hour with the crowds THAT collects! We started with a Ural sidecar - the only motorcycle in the world that comes from the factory with a sidecar, and 2 wheel drive (and the factory is in Russia!) and currently have a Honda Goldwing with a sidecar.
Attention-getting cars.. LOL. Had a Smart Car the first year they were released in Canada. At that point, they were still diesel and hadn't been released in the US yet. Took a trip down to the New England States.... Like me, I'm sure you could write a book on the comments people would make. If you wanted to get to someplace fast and not have to talk to people, you never took the Smart Car. It was also frustrating to give it a good wash and come out of somewhere and find handprints all over the windows from people looking in.. I don't know how many times I would walk slowly back to the vehicle hoping whoever was looking at it would be gone. Even worse, waiting till they were gone so you didn't have to answer questions if you weren't in the mood to be social.. . Great fun.. Cheers!

Last edited:

skipper741

First Name
Skipper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 TJ 2d/Rubicon, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I’ve owned a lot of cars, SUVs, and truck. I’ve been very fortunate to own a lot of good looking vehicles that get compliments. This Gladiator is up there with the most compliments, but it’s crazy how polarizing it is. I get a lot of compliments, like a surprising amount. However, I get almost as many negative. Now most of the negative are not actually to my face, I hear them talking shit. A handful of asshats feel the need to tell me how ugly it is. It’s just weird. I don’t really care, it actually entertains me.

You guys experience this? I have a most stock Sting Gray Overland. It just has 275/70/18 Revo 3s, matching front tint, and blacked out emblems. Pic for reference. I love the look of it and I’m not trying to solicit compliments.

66D9C99D-2A74-4565-861C-E55651309055.jpeg
Interesting..... Virginia is full of asshats driving their overpriced German Auto POS'..... I get a ton of compliments. Actually had a guy stalk me into a store to compliment and ask questions. I haven't heard anyone in ear shot have the stones to tell me to my face their negative opinions.

Opinions are like a'holes. Everyone's got one. In the meantime, Jeep On!

E988C302-45E9-46BC-8BDA-B133CDFE1D97.jpeg

876DB9B7-55A0-4A48-AE76-254759813BF8.jpeg

Rdmartin01

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubicon LE
Occupation
Business
I get mostly compliments but know there those who are not fans. The upside? I get to drive this Convertible everyday sitting on 37s with no lift and zero rub at full lock. Try that with your Colotacanger.... (Colorado + Tacoma + Ranger)
Jeep Gladiator My Gladiator is the most polarizing vehicle I’ve ever owned. AB500256-58EB-4DFB-8BFA-0CD88EB2B7D3

Sponsored

freedomgirl

First Name
Barbara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
Occupation
self employed
Six Wranglers before my JT, only reason I ever got rid of any of them was to get a truck, so I obviously LOVED the idea of the JT.

But when I saw the first ones stock I just couldn't, then the local dealer had one on the lot with 2.5" level/lift , 35" mud tires, and steps ... that checked off all the boxes and then some. Makes me smile just thinking about it, let alone when I walk up to it, then I drive it ... much to be thankful for!

I have had more people approach me saying they loved it, than any other vehicle. The other day a feisty little old lady asked me what it was, and when I told her it was a Jeep, she reminisced about an old Jeep she had and said " Guessing you could go most anywhere with that " ... I smiled and said " Yes Ma'm " ;)

Totally agree!!!
"But when I saw the first ones stock I just couldn't, then the local dealer had one on the lot with 2.5" level/lift , 35" mud tires, and steps ... that checked off all the boxes and then some. Makes me smile just thinking about it, let alone when I walk up to it, then I drive it ... much to be thankful for! "

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
Had many a car that attracted attention. The Mark 1 TT when it was brand new had people swarm it. Black roadster with the base ball glove leather. Got pulled over a few times by cops checking it out and a guy tell me back in the summer fo 2000 that it was not an Audi. 53 Buick lead sled. Baby blue and slammed. People flocked to that. Few other ultra rare Audis.....URS6 Avant was one for sure. Gladiator does the same. Most love it. Had a guy on Sunday ask if the bed was custom. Nope, stock 5 foot. Lots ask what I paid for it. Most just want to see it. I know, I love it, my kids love it and my ex wife hates it......Soooo.

GOSKN5

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Easily the most talked about vehicle I have ever owned. I literally don’t go anywhere public without having someone come over and check it out.

My wife was driving it the other day and sent me a pic...she walked out of the grocery store and three guys were standing around the Gladiator and one was under it! She laughed and they started asking questions.

That said, my wife literally would not sign off on a non-lifted version. She hated the stock look as it was such a long truck that it looked short and squatty. I like the stock ones ok and think they are all awesome trucks.. but agree they really shine with a lift or at least some bigger tires to improve the stance some.

Here is ours:

Jeep Gladiator My Gladiator is the most polarizing vehicle I’ve ever owned. A2F79336-48FA-4120-8757-48D38C79DEBC
Jeep Gladiator My Gladiator is the most polarizing vehicle I’ve ever owned. 6DD83487-1346-4606-AEFA-34F01539FEFF

Deleted member 30519

Some lady pulled up next me at a light yesterday and said " I just wanted to tell you I love the jeep! It put a smile on my face. I get a ton of looks now with the 3.5" lift on 35's. When it was stock I gotta lotta laughs from truck guys on the road but now they see me and look confused:CWL:

Even the rock likes it ! I saw this on TV as I was typing this reply.

Jeep Gladiator My Gladiator is the most polarizing vehicle I’ve ever owned. IMG_20200622_154305

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsored

Doolin64

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Audi A4
I'm 6 months into owning my Gladiator. I've yet to really find a naysayer to my face. At most, I get someone saying "I didn't like these when I first saw them, but yours looks great". Could be a lie, but I take it as a compliment. I've owned 17 cars since I've started driving, not one of them has garnered the attention the Gladiator gets. It's actually comical. I get a comment anytime I stop in public somewhere. My wife thought I was lying (my daughter has experienced with me), until this past weekend when drove the Jeep to the beach in Rhode Island. While in traffic, a car rolled down it's window and started commenting how much they love the truck and the wheels, etc. My wife looked at me and said "ok I get it". LOL I'm not gonna lie, I will be said when the comments and excitement end.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
I can see why. That's a tire and wheel combo I love. Where is your build thread?

Easily the most talked about vehicle I have ever owned. I literally don’t go anywhere public without having someone come over and check it out.

My wife was driving it the other day and sent me a pic...she walked out of the grocery store and three guys were standing around the Gladiator and one was under it! She laughed and they started asking questions.

That said, my wife literally would not sign off on a non-lifted version. She hated the stock look as it was such a long truck that it looked short and squatty. I like the stock ones ok and think they are all awesome trucks.. but agree they really shine with a lift or at least some bigger tires to improve the stance some.

Here is ours:

Jeep Gladiator My Gladiator is the most polarizing vehicle I’ve ever owned. IMG_20200622_154305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

Punknhead

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I’ve always been a Jeep guy that had to also have a pickup. So glad I am able to have the best of both worlds in one vehicle. I agree that the Rubicons look amazing but I had to go Sport S to be able to tow my camper and boat. 33’s and front level are perfect. Gonna pick up some 35’s to put on an extra set of wheels I picked up for an occasional change of pace. No regrets at all—this is the perfect vehicle for me. I have many years to add to it and make changes—I am going to own this vehicle for a very long time!

DirtySaylor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
I get mostly compliments but know there those who are not fans. The upside? I get to drive this Convertible everyday sitting on 37s with no lift and zero rub at full lock. Try that with your Colotacanger.... (Colorado + Tacoma + Ranger)
lookin' sharp!
Sponsored