First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Max Tow
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
I have a JT Sport with the 5" Uconnect. A year or so ago I stuck a 7" in it. Worked fine but I was never satisfied with not having volume/tuning knobs or being able to mute the stupid when needed. So I put the 5" back in and sold the 7".

Recently I decided to try again but this time upgrade the HVAC controls also. I found a used 7" Uconnect from a 2019 JL Wrangler for a good price. Installed it and was happy to see it all seemed to work fine, including the backup camera.

Since my JT has none of the fancy options, I needed the most base center stack I could find. There are a bunch of different center stack controls out there depending on your JT options. Took awhile but I found one on eBay that looked like what I wanted. PN 7BU55DX9AB. I installed it today.

I already had Jscan on my batphone, a bypass cable and OBD II Bluetooth adapter. I set the HVAC controls for "dual zone atc" even though I suspect "dual zone mtc" would work.

I have to set the temp manually but I'm ok with that. At this time I'm not sure I'm going to install a temp sensor or not.

Anyway, hope this helps anyone thinking of doing the upgrade.

thumbnail_20230118_152918 (Medium).jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
cb4017

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well, my journey has some bumps in the road.

Without the cabin temp and sun load sensors in the Jeep the output temps of the heating system are all over the place. They basically go from full hot to cool.

My JT is one of those NOT pre-wired for the sensors. I found the connector PNs and can build a harness but I'm going to try something else.

On the JL forum someone pointed out that after 2022 all JLs/JTs have the 7" Uconnect. That means there are Sports out there with single zone manual temp control HVAC controls with radio controls.

I got on Auto Trader and looked at 2022/23 Sports until I found one with HVAC controls that have the features I need. I copied the VIN and gave it to Benny at AllMoparParts.com. He was able to reference the VIN and get me a part number. It's on order. For those interested, the PN of the controls pictured is 7EV04DX9AA.

Copy of 89b9e18d31934e31b35c00d30fc52f0c (Medium).jpg

Sponsored

Jack1155

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Well, my journey has some bumps in the road.

Without the cabin temp and sun load sensors in the Jeep the output temps of the heating system are all over the place. They basically go from full hot to cool.

My JT is one of those NOT pre-wired for the sensors. I found the connector PNs and can build a harness but I'm going to try something else.

On the JL forum someone pointed out that after 2022 all JLs/JTs have the 7" Uconnect. That means there are Sports out there with single zone manual temp control HVAC controls with radio controls.

I got on Auto Trader and looked at 2022/23 Sports until I found one with HVAC controls that have the features I need. I copied the VIN and gave it to Benny at AllMoparParts.com. He was able to reference the VIN and get me a part number. It's on order. For those interested, the PN of the controls pictured is 7EV04DX9AA.

Jeep Gladiator My journey from a 5" to 7" Uconnect Copy of 89b9e18d31934e31b35c00d30fc52f0c (Medium)
Excited to hear if youā€™ve made any progress on this? I did the 5 to 7ā€ swap including the control panel with Auto climate and hate it. Iā€™ve never liked Auto climate in general, it doesnā€™t seem to work quite right on mine despite changing out both sensors etc, and I hate having to explain to the passenger why they canā€™t touch their temp controlsā€¦ would love to swap with this panel if you get it to work as intended for post-ā€˜22 models.

OP
OP
cb4017

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Excited to hear if youā€™ve made any progress on this? I did the 5 to 7ā€ swap including the control panel with Auto climate and hate it. Iā€™ve never liked Auto climate in general, it doesnā€™t seem to work quite right on mine despite changing out both sensors etc, and I hate having to explain to the passenger why they canā€™t touch their temp controlsā€¦ would love to swap with this panel if you get it to work as intended for post-ā€˜22 models.
The HVAC controls have been shipped and should be her the end of this week or early next week. I'll report in when I get it installed.

redline61

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Iā€™m really interested to see how this works out. I did the swap and went to the trouble of installing the temp sensor too. Mine had factory sun sensor so the wiring was there. Unfortunately my temps still do the same thing where they basically go from full hot, to full cold. Set on dual zone atc with the JScan app as well. I really hope this works and love that you found one with no dual zone!!

OP
OP
cb4017

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well, unfortunately this center stack was not the plug-n-play solution I hoped it would be, in my case at least. Set at single zone, mtc the HVAC controls did nothing. I tried a few other HVAC settings with mixed results. Radio controls worked.

There may be settings in computer somewhere that will work but as an old Boomer that used to set distributer points with a matchbook cover I'm not comfortable experimenting with the brains of my Jeep.

Original uconnect and HVAC controls are back in my Jeep at the moment. Not sure what my next step is going to be.

Sponsored

Camaroboi13

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ Pioneer, 17 WK2 3.6, 18 JLU 3.6, 22 JTOD 3.0
Occupation
LEO - Life in Chino
Well, unfortunately this center stack was not the plug-n-play solution I hoped it would be, in my case at least. Set at single zone, mtc the HVAC controls did nothing. I tried a few other HVAC settings with mixed results. Radio controls worked.

There may be settings in computer somewhere that will work but as an old Boomer that used to set distributer points with a matchbook cover I'm not comfortable experimenting with the brains of my Jeep.

Original uconnect and HVAC controls are back in my Jeep at the moment. Not sure what my next step is going to be.
im in the same boatā€¦ purchased a couple different ones for my wifeā€™s 18 JLU sport just to get the radio knob and Iā€™ve had zero success on the climate controls. Keep us posted.

redline61

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Well that's a bummer. I am really starting to wonder what the infotainment.com programing is. When you buy the screen they "program" it and that is bs. They do something right with the heater controls though. I just wish they used this unit and not the auto climate control one.

Jack1155

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S

Thanks for being the Guinea pig!
Quick thought- When I swapped from the manual control panel to the auto panel, I needed a different sun sensor and a temp sensor for it to properly sync with the systemā€¦ did you swap the sun sensor back to the one used with the manual system, and remove the temp sensor? Wondering if that might be the missing link, or if itā€™s truly a software variation that infotainment/JScan havenā€™t built out yet.

slowstang305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
I did the 5in to 8.4 and just continued using the oem controls and controlling the audio from the steering wheel. This seems like a giant hassle as far as finding the right controls. Following this thread just in case....

redline61

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Well I didn't order this panel but ordered the new sun sensor just to see if that will work. I bought 68230114AB from allmopar and hopefully that is the right one. We will see. If this one works for the full auto I will buy this panel for the single zone and see if they work together. I really want this setup to work.
Sponsored