Sponsored

My JT came in, not buying it

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I feel like I would be in better shape with a 1 year old Gladiator at EP than a Ram at EP. I feel like it'll be just another 1500 pickup... but I'm not happy about the MPGs I've seen people say they're getting... the new 2020 Ecodiesel should be upper 20s minimum.
My best recorded fuel economy was 29 mpg with the 1500 Ecodiesel, but 26 - 27 mpg is pretty common as long as you keep close to the OEM tire size and weight. I'm hoping to see 27 - 28 mpg on the next generation. If you get the GDE tune, then you can achieve even better mileage and ensure engine longevity. Besides the mileage, I like the driving experience of the diesel. I also do a lot of towing, so the diesel option makes sense for me. As I get closer to retirement, I'm also looking at long-term ownership. I want our next several vehicles to last 15+ years.
Sponsored

kayakmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Granite Crystal Metallic Launch Edition
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rocket Scientist
My best recorded fuel economy was 29 mpg with the 1500 Ecodiesel, but 26 - 27 mpg is pretty common as long as you keep close to the OEM tire size and weight. I'm hoping to see 27 - 28 mpg on the next generation. If you get the GDE tune, then you can achieve even better mileage and ensure engine longevity. Besides the mileage, I like the driving experience of the diesel. I also do a lot of towing, so the diesel option makes sense for me. As I get closer to retirement, I'm also looking at long-term ownership. I want our next several vehicles to last 15+ years.
I had 32 MPG towing a Wisperwatt generator about 150 miles on my EcoDiesel Grand Cherokee. Best mileage I'd ever seen with it. Usually high 20s on highway trips w/o towing. After the stock tires wore out replaced with BFG KO2s, and haven't seen over low to mid 20s since.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
Comparing the area under the hood of a 60's car and a Gladiator is retarded. It is very narrow.

Have you seen a pentastar crammed in there?

I bet the reliability of the home builders cars is no where near a factory product with a warranty.

Just because some dude does a one off doesnt mean it is good.

A ford 302 and a 427 stroker? Those are both small blocks, dont know what point that is supposed to make.

Ive put a 632 big block into a camaro replacing a small block... whoopee
Your Camaro proves my point. "Area under the hood" is not at all relevant. What's relevant is displacement and cooling capacity. Many people used to run Vegas and Pintos on the street with 350 cubic-inch V8s; very little "area under the hood". They simply installed a bigger radiator. Modern, full-size trucks have diesel V-8s shoehorned under the hood and don't have any cooling problems.

Many modern compact cars have turbo-charged engines crammed under the hood with no cooling problems.

I stand by my statement that FCA engineers could easily solve any cooling challenges if they were permitted to do so. The absolute, only reason for the diesel-powered Gladiator to have LESS towing capacity than the gasoline version is "management decision".
Sponsored

Last edited: