Need advice on what is needed

Fish_RN2a

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Hi guys, this is my first Jeep and am not very familiar with suspension options. I have recently added a bed rack and tent to my gladiator. This has caused a lot of uneven wear on my tires. I believe this is due to the extra weight. What are the best options to correct this?
Jeep Gladiator Need advice on what is needed F6BD5DCD-54C0-47E7-8062-72CEB1E66AC1
Sponsored

Camaroboi13

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ Pioneer, 17 WK2 3.6, 18 JLU 3.6, 22 JTOD 3.0
Occupation
LEO - Life in Chino
Rotate your tires more often, have them balanced every other oil change. Seems like a lot, but heavier tires often need more attention. The jeep has a straight axle front and rear, so you're not going to have tire wear from camber or anything like that. It's not your neighbor's lowered Honda that goes through front tires every other trip to the gas station.

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Since you've added weight, you probably need to add air to tires. Time to caulk test the tires under full load and empty. You might have to adjust tire pressures depending upon your load.

Plus proper rotations as already mentioned.

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
From the pic, it looks like you've added weight to the front as well; winches aren't light. Have your alignment checked.

Sponsored

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
As above, tires alone could be the culprit.
Airbags are cheap and easy to install if you want to bring the rear up to stock level.
Pictures of the actual tire wear will give us a better clue.
Is that a Torro RTT?

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I may ruffle a few feathers, but unless you are regularly living the off road and overlanding lifestyle, take that stuff off the bed and store it until you actually need it.

charliez

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT
take that stuff off the bed and store it until you actually need it.

Agreed. I try to not haul around as much stuff unless I need to. And EVERY, did I say EVERY? oil change, I rotate, clean, air up and inspect my tires. I've had heavy trucks with 90k on tires when I sold it and they are still looking good. An extra hour on a Saturday every few months will make them last a whole lot longer.

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
I've had heavy trucks with 90k on tires when I sold it and they are still looking good.
I WISH! With all of the constant start/stop, we are lucky to get 50K out of new tires and 25-30K out of recaps. We also pull at 7/32 if we see them at an inspection.

OP
OP

Fish_RN2a

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
So adding a beefier springs and suspension is not the solution?

Sponsored

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
So adding a beefier springs and suspension is not the solution?
That will help with the ride quality and level/rake of the Jeep, but no it won't really help with the tire wear. You have solid axles front and rear, loaded squat isn't effecting the tires like on an IRS/IFS vehicle.
How often do you rotate your tires, how much air are you running in them, what is your total mileage, are those the stock tires and wheels?

OP
OP

Fish_RN2a

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I have a little over 31,000 miles on my Jeep. I don’t drive it every day. They are stock Rubicon tires and wheels and run them when I’m on the road at 37 psi (I air down when I go off-road). When I replace my tires I plan to go to 35. I rotate the tires ever oil change and do the alignment then. I was thinking of upgrading the springs and shocks to help with the ride. Leaning towards Clayton springs and the Falcon 3.3 shocks.

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
I have a little over 31,000 miles on my Jeep. I don’t drive it every day. They are stock Rubicon tires and wheels and run them when I’m on the road at 37 psi (I air down when I go off-road). When I replace my tires I plan to go to 35. I rotate the tires ever oil change and do the alignment then. I was thinking of upgrading the springs and shocks to help with the ride. Leaning towards Clayton springs and the Falcon 3.3 shocks.
Upgrading to Clayton stuff will help the ride for sure, talk to someone there about your setup and your wants. Try to weigh your rig loaded ready for a trip, get front and rear weights if possible. This will help them recommend which springs to go with to get your desired results.
37psi should be ok for the rear, unless its heavier than it looks, depends on how loaded the bed is. I'd still suggest the caulk test, front and rear. You might find you need different pressures at each end.
Do you have the 3.6 gas or 3.0 diesel, auto or manual trans? How often in miles do you rotate the tires? I'd suggest no more than 5k, but every 3k might be needed.
You could run by a good reputable tire shop and ask them about the wear on your tires. So much can be told by just looking at the tires themselves. If you were close I say swing by my buddy's shop, 2 seconds and he could tell you what you need to fix the wear.

OP
OP

Fish_RN2a

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Sorry can you explain what caulk test is, I have no idea what that is.
I have a gas 3.6 auto and change the tires every 5K. I’m not sure where you are at but I’m in the Southern California area, the Inland Empire to be more specific.
Sponsored