2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation

Kev Mojito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
No removal required. There is room between the battery and fender to lay the solenoid on its side and wire all the cables from the winch to the battery. The space between the fender and battery is carpeted and stays dry.

Compared to the external winch mounted Apex solenoid cover this is a much better place for the wiring. The cover that sits on top of the winch really isn’t weather proof.

I also have the wired remote cable running from the engine bay into the cab if I ever need to use it too.
Great write up !!

Any chance you could post picture of your in cab cable connection and the solenoid mounting under the hood.
Getting ready to do mine soon.

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
damn that looks awesome! when i get a steel front bumper i'm going to get one of these. I saw they had a 30% off coupon yesterday too! Thanks for all the good photos!

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
damn that looks awesome! when i get a steel front bumper i'm going to get one of these. I saw they had a 30% off coupon yesterday too! Thanks for all the good photos!
30% off coupon was only for items priced $10 and below. Also, their regular 20% coupon usually has an exclusion for their Badland winches. That being said, they regularly discount them enough to almost constantly be on sale with or without a direct coupon most times.

MobileHomeboy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ 7, 2018 Ram 2500 Cummins, 2022 Power Wagon
I just installed the Apex 12k. Does anyone know if the provided battery disconnect is required? I straight wired it to my battery. Will that slowly kill it? Can I wire to one of the AUX switches?

7C203C5E-DEC6-48DC-83A3-436EC1E0510B.jpeg

Kev Mojito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Finished up the remote wiring today.

Have the power switch and solenoid next to the battery. The wireless controller under the driver side cowl and the wire connector / wireless switch under driver side dash.

On Off and Solenoid.jpg

Driver Wireless.jpg

Wire and wireless switch.jpg

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Finished up the remote wiring today.

Have the power switch and solenoid next to the battery. The wireless controller under the driver side cowl and the wire connector / wireless switch under driver side dash.

On Off and Solenoid.jpg

Driver Wireless.jpg

Wire and wireless switch.jpg
Love that setup. I hate the look of the solenoid on top of the winch. The plug being inside is just genius.

Question, where did you get the wire you used for the relocation? is it 4 awg marine grade? I am looking to relocate on my half installed Smitty built and the wires are to short to do anything. Kind of overwhelmed when I did my initial search of all the connectors and eveything.

Sponsored

Kev Mojito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
I just followed what Sorbs did. I went with the Harbor Freight 6 Ft. Inverter Cable Set - SKU #63747, #2 AWG = $30.00 with 20% off coupon.
What he did not show was the locations of where he mounted the solenoid, connector and wireless switch. I made my best guess of what he did.

From my findings, the power leads only need to be 5 feet long. I have a loop under the air box to hide the extra foot or so. The switch bracket came from Rock Slider Engineering, just modified for the extra hole mount.
Then finished up with a MZS winch shackle from amazon. https://www.amazon.com/MZS-Winch-Sh...00lb+Black&qid=1586101004&s=automotive&sr=1-1

front shackle.jpg

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I just followed what Sorbs did. I went with the Harbor Freight 6 Ft. Inverter Cable Set - SKU #63747, #2 AWG = $30.00 with 20% off coupon.
What he did not show was the locations of where he mounted the solenoid, connector and wireless switch. I made my best guess of what he did.

From my findings, the power leads only need to be 5 feet long. I have a loop under the air box to hide the extra foot or so. The switch bracket came from Rock Slider Engineering, just modified for the extra hole mount.
Then finished up with a MZS winch shackle from amazon. https://www.amazon.com/MZS-Winch-Shackle-Mount-Rubber/dp/B0823R8D5C/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=MZS+Winch+Shackle+Mount+with+Pin+&+Rubber+Guard+-+Universal+Fit+20,000lb+Black&qid=1586101004&s=automotive&sr=1-1

front shackle.jpg
Thanks for sharing. Going to be ordering some wiring tomorrow to finish the job finally on mine. I really love the look of the solenoid relocated here.

OP
OP
Sorbs

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase

Then finished up with a MZS winch shackle from amazon. https://www.amazon.com/MZS-Winch-Shackle-Mount-Rubber/dp/B0823R8D5C/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=MZS+Winch+Shackle+Mount+with+Pin+&+Rubber+Guard+-+Universal+Fit+20,000lb+Black&qid=1586101004&s=automotive&sr=1-1

front shackle.jpg
I didn’t use the rotary switch but you put it where I wired everything together next to the battery. Great job!

Kitfoxbill

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Suburban
My Apex mounting. Rubicon steel bumper. Warn winch plate.
i moved the positive cable from the back to the side so it wouldn’t rub on the grille. I also had to cut down the engagement handle so not too rub on bumper.
Jeep Gladiator New Apex 12K Harbor Freight winch Install D96BF872-3A36-43FE-8EAF-3E59F5267DED
Jeep Gladiator New Apex 12K Harbor Freight winch Install C5B55231-8340-4524-870E-8FF525D12A27
Jeep Gladiator New Apex 12K Harbor Freight winch Install 8993CC4E-AE9F-4D60-9A04-D777B961C38E

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
Hey that looks good. I have a question. Wnt do these have to be modified, sometimes heavily, just to fit? Shouldn't this be somewhat standardized? I mean putting a winch in is pretty standard stuff right? Im new at all this so forgive my ignorance.
Sponsored