Sponsored

Harbor Freight winches?

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Couple more items I have purchased that worked well, impact sockets, breaker bar, lifting straps, waterproof storage boxes like Pelicans.
Sponsored

JTR178

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Occupation
5-0
Yea started a channel to share with friends and decided to have more fun with it. I went with maximus 3's winch plate. So far so good
Awesome, thanks!

JT850

First Name
Derp
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2006 TJ Unlimited
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
spend money I dont have on my jeep
My thought, and works with other scenarios, if you are thinking of getting a winch because it’s a good price, the badlands will be a good choice. If you are thinking of getting a winch because you are planning on a 5 day deep woods excursion, it’s the wrong winch.
I use the crap out of mine and its been solid so far. I haven't winched a vehicle out. Mainly just move large to small trees and barrels of corn. But if you plan on moving real heavy loads the work cycle might be an issue. Haven't dug too far into the specs as it isn't really an issue for my use.

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
I use the crap out of mine and its been solid so far. I haven't winched a vehicle out. Mainly just move large to small trees and barrels of corn. But if you plan on moving real heavy loads the work cycle might be an issue. Haven't dug too far into the specs as it isn't really an issue for my use.
To be clear,, I’m not knocking the HF Badlands winches. I am actually considering the Apex for my truck. I also have a small one on my dump trailer. I do not fall under the HD winch usage category.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There seem to be decent reviews of the Badlands winches. My concern would be that in trying to meet that price point, the winches are susceptible to corrosion.

So if I was going to get something like that. I'd put it on a receiver mount, so it wasn't out in the weather all the time.

Sponsored

rob_o

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gladiator
Build Thread
Link
I had an HF winch on my LJ for years and abused it every weekend until I sold the vehicle.

at that time it was slower and noisier than a warn however it never let me down or gave me any trouble whatsoever.

Im going with their new apex winch as soon as my bumpers arrive

I've seen and heard lots of positive things from those winches at 1/3rd the price of warn
Jeep Gladiator Harbor Freight winches? Screenshot_20210723-130424_Instagram

JT850

First Name
Derp
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
To be clear,, I’m not knocking the HF Badlands winches. I am actually considering the Apex for my truck. I also have a small one on my dump trailer. I do not fall under the HD winch usage category.
Oh yea no worries man I didn't get that impression from you.

JT850

First Name
Derp
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
There seem to be decent reviews of the Badlands winches. My concern would be that in trying to meet that price point, the winches are susceptible to corrosion.

So if I was going to get something like that. I'd put it on a receiver mount, so it wasn't out in the weather all the time.
Definitely a good point. I live on the coast and the salt air is hell on metals. I use a liberal amount of WD40 after each time I use my winch. Haven't seen any rust just yet.

Wet Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
I was about to get an Apex 12k synthetic, but the price jumped up to $630 today :(. For about $250 more I can get a Warn Evo 12S so I'm probably going to go that route instead.

Sponsored

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
I was about to get an Apex 12k synthetic, but the price jumped up to $630 today :(. For about $250 more I can get a Warn Evo 12S so I'm probably going to go that route instead.
If you have time, HF will have a sale again.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Do yourself a favor and save the money and buy the Apex. The Evo line is also a China made winch that happens to carry a major name.

rob_o

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gladiator
Build Thread
Link
I went with apex, just installed this morning.

Jeep Gladiator Harbor Freight winches? 20210731_104523

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
Yes it will. May have to space the bumper out some from the winch plate. I think I did 1/2" for some extra clearance.

bumper - winch.jpg
Sponsored