New Base Jeep and very OVER whelmed by modification options

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2015 911 C2S
My point was that a Jeep isn't a modern day Civic in any way shape or form. They are completely different vehicles and the Jeep aftermarket has been growing for longer then the Civic existed. The Jeep CJ/Wrangler was always the benchmark for modifiable/customizable vehicles. I'm glad the Gladiator has inherited the CJ/Wrangler heritage and aftermarket base.

I wasn't trying to start a fight. I honestly thought maybe you weren't aware of just how far back the history of modifying Jeeps went.
Im well aware of the Jeep heritage. But Jeeps are the modern day Civic when it comes to customizing. There are endless options to change just about everything. It wasn’t always that case. Back in the 90s, you could lift, tires/wheels, bumpers and make mechanical changes but that’s about it. I would know as I grew up in Jeeps. Thinking I was saying Jeeps are in the same vehicle class as a civic is a real head scratcher.
Sponsored

Sparty

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR (Gecko) / 2021 JLR
Drive it for a while and then see what you feel you need. Don't rush into it
I can't agree with this more.

I have done this with cars, Jeeps, tractors, etc...

My process is read/research as much as you can. Go through the forum (multiple forums) and talk with people.

USE your vehicle a while stock to see what it can do and what you want to improve. The only caveat that I'll throw in is if you're going to jump right into serious off-roading, make sure your skids are where they need to be (oil pan, differentials, sliders).

When I got my TJ Wrangler I ran it stock for about 6mos. Then I went with a simple 2" lift and larger tires with the appropriate skids and a Warn winch. Once I got a little more wheeling time/experience under my belt I then heavily invested in lift, lockers, tires, etc.

There's nothing wrong with waiting a little bit - the aftermarket isn't going anywhere. This really helps with buyers remorse

Moe_Fugga

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Differential gears. All have 3.73 gears except the max tow and Rubicon which have 4.10 gears. I just had mine changed to 4.56 gears. Just over $1700. Much better at lugging around the 35" tires.
On 35's with 3.73 gears you will be doing about 2000 RPM at hiway speed. as soon as you hit the hill you wont have the torque and will downshift at least 2 gears and go to 4000 rpm (unless its a manual). Otherwise it will be a boat anchor. Much better handling hills and MPG is better with the new gears.
What kind of RPMs are you running around 70-80 in 8th gear? I’m thinking 4.88 is too much for 35s and have been looking at 4.56.

BajaDrifter

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Im well aware of the Jeep heritage. But Jeeps are the modern day Civic when it comes to customizing. There are endless options to change just about everything. It wasn’t always that case. Back in the 90s, you could lift, tires/wheels, bumpers and make mechanical changes but that’s about it. I would know as I grew up in Jeeps. Thinking I was saying Jeeps are in the same vehicle class as a civic is a real head scratcher.
I believe you took it wrong. If anything, one could say the Honda Civic introduction in this country came way after people were modifying Jeeps, making it a bad analogy. Jeeps have been modified since WWII and substantially.

Gobi-Wan Kenobi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Well back in the 90s I had a YJ converted to a mini pickup, so there was definitely more you could do then lifts, tires/wheels, and bumpers. I also had an aftermarket center console and seats, grab handles, and side steps back in the 90s. And back then there were custom grills available, just thankfully not as bad as the current ones. Lots of guys ran tube fenders in the 90s. I literally got a catalog mailed to me monthly of aftermarket Jeep parts from 1995 to 2000. Just because you weren't aware of the options doesn't mean they weren't there. Honda did not invent or even perfect the art of vehicle customization.

A better way to put it might be that Civics are now as customizable as Wranglers have always been.

Sponsored

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I believe you took it wrong. If anything, one could say the Honda Civic introduction in this country came way after people were modifying Jeeps, making it a bad analogy. Jeeps have been modified since WWII and substantially.
Well back in the 90s I had a YJ converted to a mini pickup, so there was definitely more you could do then lifts, tires/wheels, and bumpers. I also had an aftermarket center console and seats, grab handles, and side steps back in the 90s. And back then there were custom grills available, just thankfully not as bad as the current ones. Lots of guys ran tube fenders in the 90s. I literally got a catalog mailed to me monthly of aftermarket Jeep parts from 1995 to 2000. Just because you weren't aware of the options doesn't mean they weren't there. Honda did not invent or even perfect the art of vehicle customization.

A better way to put it might be that Civics are now as customizable as Wranglers have always been.
I believe you both took it way too far and went way over your heads hahaha

The reference was simply to the amount of aftermarket support there now is, compared to previously. NOT that the civic started anything for Jeeps.

Took this waaaay to literal! Carry on

BajaDrifter

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I believe you both took it way too far and went way over your heads hahaha

The reference was simply to the amount of aftermarket support there now is, compared to previously. NOT that the civic started anything for Jeeps.

Took this waaaay to literal! Carry on
You probably never heard of a JC Whitney catalogue too. Some of us are as old as dirt and remember things from way back. Didn't take it anywhere it didn't need to go. A correction is a correction, nothing more.

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You probably never heard of a JC Whitney catalogue too. Some of us are as old as dirt and remember things from way back. Didn't take it anywhere it didn't need to go. A correction is a correction, nothing more.
I actually have heard of JC Whitney. Doesn’t change the fact there is more aftermarket support than ever before. Meaning, you can go any direction with modifications just like you with a civic. Doesn’t mean anything less or more than that. Hell, for a long time the only long arm kit offered for TJs was Rubicon Express. Today, there’s probably no less than 10 different companies offering long arms. You can refute that if you’d like, but the reality is, us Jeepers have more options today than we did. So your “correction” doesn’t mean shit when you missed the entire point of a statement.

Gobi-Wan Kenobi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
I actually have heard of JC Whitney. Doesn’t change the fact there is more aftermarket support than ever before. Meaning, you can go any direction with modifications just like you with a civic. Doesn’t mean anything less or more than that. Hell, for a long time the only long arm kit offered for TJs was Rubicon Express. Today, there’s probably no less than 10 different companies offering long arms. You can refute that if you’d like, but the reality is, us Jeepers have more options today than we did. So your “correction” doesn’t mean shit when you missed the entire point of a statement.
Nobody told you that we don't have more choices today then in the past. The Jeep aftermarket options are pretty endless currently. But Jeep has always had one of the largest selection of aftermarket options of any vehicle.

People were trying to correct you on the bizarre comparison you made between Jeeps (the original modified vehicle) and a Honda Civic. Nobody is saying the Jeep aftermarket isn't huge, we are just saying that the Jeep aftermarket has been large for quite a while and existed before the fist Civic was even built.

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nobody told you that we don't have more choices today then in the past. The Jeep aftermarket options are pretty endless currently. But Jeep has always had one of the largest selection of aftermarket options of any vehicle.

People were trying to correct you on the bizarre comparison you made between Jeeps (the original modified vehicle) and a Honda Civic. Nobody is saying the Jeep aftermarket isn't huge, we are just saying that the Jeep aftermarket has been large for quite a while and existed before the fist Civic was even built.
You’re still missing the point

Sponsored

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
What kind of RPMs are you running around 70-80 in 8th gear? I’m thinking 4.88 is too much for 35s and have been looking at 4.56.
Hi Moe, Sorry for the late response. I'm running about 2600-2800 at 80. It doesnt even shift down on slight inclines and holds speed. Still in breakin mode for the gears. Couple hundred on them now. 4.88 would give you higher RPM @80. Probably have to stay at 70 to be below 3k rpm. But maybe others have a better idea thats running 4.88's.

Moe_Fugga

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Hi Moe, Sorry for the late response. I'm running about 2600-2800 at 80. It doesnt even shift down on slight inclines and holds speed. Still in breakin mode for the gears. Couple hundred on them now. 4.88 would give you higher RPM @80. Probably have to stay at 70 to be below 3k rpm. But maybe others have a better idea thats running 4.88's.
Thanks. Those numbers are about what I’m looking for. I rarely drive 80, so that sounds like it would put 70 in a good spot. Right around where 70 in 7th is now.

Psycho Squirrel

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 White Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, '14 Black Grand Cherokee Limited, '63 Blue Corvair Monza,
Drive it for a while and then see what you feel you need. Don't rush into it
What he said! Drive it for a while, take it on some mild to moderaate trails and see what it can do. You’ll be surprised by the capabilities of a stock Jeep. My JKU only had a 2” lift and 33’s and was awesome!! Remember, less is more. You’re better off spending your cash on things like a portable air compressor, tire patch kit, a set of tools and a few cans of WD40 than you are throwing coin at a problem you don’t know you have yet. Get stuck, ask for help and take your time! If you have questions, there are a lot of really smart people here!

cheers mate!
Sponsored