Sponsored

New Engine Needed at 42k miles!?!?!

Deleted member 30519

You ever figure this out? My 6speed has been making exact same sound, usually during light throttle/3-4k rpm while pulling a hill - happened in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. Outside temps and engine temp have no impact, if I accelerate it gets louder, deceleration makes it quieter, downshifting to higher rpm eliminates it. It’s infrequent, typically can’t reproduce it at will - only thing that has *seemed* to lessen the frequency is higher grade gas (premium over low or mid grade - thank god I live in California where gas is cheap……🤦‍♂️).
It’s not something that happens every day, and when it happens, it’s only under the conditions described above. For reference, my commute takes me from 4200’ to 200’ or so; Jeep has 3" lift, 37’s, stock 4.10 (5.38’s going in tomorrow).
No and the dealerships don't care because they don't wanna put the time into recreating the noise and instead they lie to you and say you have loose suspension parts etc etc. I've considered trading it in but I invested too much money in the JT at this point. I guess I'm stuck with it. The way you described it is exactly how mine is too.
Sponsored

Christoferweld

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
No and the dealerships don't care because they don't wanna put the time into recreating the noise and instead they lie to you and say you have loose suspension parts etc etc. I've considered trading it in but I invested too much money in the JT at this point. I guess I'm stuck with it. The way you described it is exactly how mine is too.
Well, for what it’s worth, mine has a touch over 33k on it - has made that noise since new - and still runs really good. I tend to shrug it off when it happens now and just ease the throttle/downshift; might not be perfect but it’s worked this far… 🤷‍♂️

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Well, for what it’s worth, mine has a touch over 33k on it - has made that noise since new - and still runs really good. I tend to shrug it off when it happens now and just ease the throttle/downshift; might not be perfect but it’s worked this far… 🤷‍♂️
I don't think it's knock, but I don't know for sure. Mine makes the same noise. I think something is loose somewhere. I feel like if it were knock, it would have exploded by now, as loud as it gets sometimes. I also think the check engine light would have come on. Strange thing is, my wife on the passenger side almost never hears it. But one day she drove my jeep and she could. But it's so intermittent, I can't get the dealership to figure it out, and they've been trying. I recorded a video, and I showed them @Gladiator847's video too, because his was better. It doesn't happen all the time, but mine has been doing it since 2000 miles (16700 now). The dealership had me run some 44k through to see if it was a fuel injector issue, just based on the symptoms I described. I can't say for sure if it did anything at all. Frustrating. I wish it was knock, and repeatable knock, so that someone could hear it when I need them too.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Any repairs will show up in Carfax and can have a negative effect of the vehicles' value.
That's absolute BS. No they do not all show up. I've posted about this multiple times. Not every shop reports to carfax and repairs under warranty don't impact a vehicle's value. Only things like accidents, structural damage drop value and then most of those do not get reported.
I've posted proof of that from a consumer group.
Too much bad/fake/false info out there about carfax. They don't give a rip about an engine being repaired under warranty - and frankly, a new engine should increase value!
Did you know that reporting repairs is not mandatory? It's totally voluntary. There's no law or rule about it. Many dealers do report BODY repairs, but most independent shops do not.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Its been good since?
I have only put 1k miles on it since. Dealer boned up the clock spring so that got replaced. And I think they boned up that one too. Drivers' side heat blows hot air sometimes. And when it does, it's not as warm as the passenger's side. So I am trying to get those addressed now. I am sure it will be fine.

Sponsored

blau iii

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 335i, 2014 X5, 2021 JTR
Build Thread
Link
I have a 6spd and get the same sounds. Also tried using 93 octane gas which helped to a degree. my noise doesn't happen all the time.

Barefootwelder

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mohave, 2015 3500 4xLonghorn, 1982 K30 4x4
Occupation
Project Manager
Just looking to see if anyone has had a similar experience. For the past month or so, I've had an audible ticking from my 2020 JTR with manual transmission that sped up during acceleration and slowed down during deceleration... I thought it was likely a leak of some sort from the exhaust manifold, nothing crazy. Yesterday while accelerating my car threw a check engine light.

Today I brought it into a local jeep dealership and I'm told the check engine light was tripped due to multiple cylinders misfiring and that when the tech drained the oil he found metal shavings in my oil pan. Jeep has now told me I need the motor replaced and that luckily it will be covered under my powertrain warranty... Has anyone else had a similar experience?
My JT Mohave had the tick, worn cams
Just looking to see if anyone has had a similar experience. For the past month or so, I've had an audible ticking from my 2020 JTR with manual transmission that sped up during acceleration and slowed down during deceleration... I thought it was likely a leak of some sort from the exhaust manifold, nothing crazy. Yesterday while accelerating my car threw a check engine light.

Today I brought it into a local jeep dealership and I'm told the check engine light was tripped due to multiple cylinders misfiring and that when the tech drained the oil he found metal shavings in my oil pan. Jeep has now told me I need the motor replaced and that luckily it will be covered under my powertrain warranty... Has anyone else had a similar experience?
My 2021 JT Mohave had the tick at 3K miles, dealer finally diagnosed worn cams left side head, i asked for a new short block, denied, they changed the head. 3 months later the tick is back, worn cams right side head, changed the right side head, fuel line ruptured spraying gas on the hot intake, took two days to get a tow truck out to the house, tow services don't come out on nasty dirt roads, last month they change the valve cover and valve cover gasket on the left side, I guess valve cover gaskets only last 6 months after a repair. pursueing the lemon law with the FCA folks and will let you know how it goes.

Pergrem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Yamaha/BRP Tech
There are a lot of issues with rocker arms in these engines as well as the 5.7. There is a lot of info out there on it. Every manufacture seems to have an engine related issue these days. Ford has cam phaser issues and GM has injectors issues.

OP
OP
mbbq22

mbbq22

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
So quick update. Motor got to my dealer on Friday and I've been informed that work has already begun and should be completed by Wednesday of this week. Would be great if there were no hiccups and things moved along well. Fingers crossed!

Sponsored

Kintama40

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Diesel
Occupation
Fleet Maintenance Manager
Yea this is what mine sounded like...
Mine sounded the same, with a huge knock. Motor blew at 35k, new engine is getting noisy also. Had no oil on the stick last oil change..seriously getting a little fed up. I’ve been looking at a Diesel!

OP
OP
mbbq22

mbbq22

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
So update on this... I actually got my car back last week and I'm toward the end of the 500 miles break in period. So far so good. @JeepCares was incredibly responsive throughout the 3 weeks that I went without my car and kept me up to date regularly which was great. they also tacked on a warranty for the new motor.

I did end up taking my car to a trusted and reputable local shop a few days ago for a trackbar install and they informed me of some shoddy work from the dealer including some loose wires that weren't properly routed, loose hoses that weren't properly clamped and very low fluid levels. They cleaned up everything under there for me which was great. All in all, with the size of the job performed, I wasn't surprised that there was a few loose ends...

Fingers crossed for smooth sailing from here!

Tommyd

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Grounds manager
I had the heavy tick, and had read that for the most part they were swapping the engine out.
All together, waiting for a tech to diag, then on backordered parts, then waiting on the work, it was in the shop for a month.

My guess is either I got it in there before the damage was too bad, or there were no engines available, cause mine just got cams & rockers. all 4 cams, and every single rocker and lifter.

It still titters a little at start up, but it comes and goes and is not anywhere near as bad as the ticking/knocking I had before.

I was at about 35,000 miles.
The wife loved the Grand Cherokee loaner in the mean time, for what that's worth...
What about long term? Doesn’t seem like a proper fix

Tommyd

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Grounds manager
Mine sounded the same, with a huge knock. Motor blew at 35k, new engine is getting noisy also. Had no oil on the stick last oil change..seriously getting a little fed up. I’ve been looking at a Diesel!
Any updates?

Hipbilly

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2007 FJ Cruiser
What about long term? Doesn’t seem like a proper fix
Um, I think so? The original sound was heavy at idle, ~250 beats a minute (so every other rotation)... now I have a tick at a ~500bpm cadence, much quieter, and it goes away once oil pressure is built.
Sponsored