New Engine Needed at 42k miles!?!?!

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
With millions and millions of these engines out and being made since 2011, it is going to happen. You just got unlucky is all.

GrubbyBaja

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR, 6-speed
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
A few years ago, my son's 2015 JK w/~30,000 miles developed a tick that I happened to notice as he backed out of the garage while I was standing beside the vehicle (couldn't really hear it inside the vehicle). With the hood up and engine running we could almost pinpoint the exact rocker causing the tick. He took it in to the dealer and they had it fixed with a new rocker arm in a few hours. He's near 70,000 miles now with no further issues. Seems the rocker arm rollers occasionally fail and if caught/repaired early, there will be no further damage to the cam or rest of engine.

Last edited:

Captain Muskie

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 JLUS
Occupation
Steelworker
I had the tick starting around 2000 rpms at 4300 miles.brought it in they said the oil filter was full of metal shaveings.replaced motor and gave me 60,000 mile max care warrenty for free.10k miles on replacement motor and it runs great!
They just crated the bad motor up and sent it back to Jeep for diagnosis

OP
OP
mbbq22

mbbq22

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I had the tick starting around 2000 rpms at 4300 miles.brought it in they said the oil filter was full of metal shaveings.replaced motor and gave me 60,000 mile max care warrenty for free.10k miles on replacement motor and it runs great!
They just crated the bad motor up and sent it back to Jeep for diagnosis
Love this! Sounds like they did a great job of making the process as easy as possible. Mind if I ask about how long the process was for you until you got your vehicle back?

Sponsored

Captain Muskie

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 JLUS
Occupation
Steelworker
Love this! Sounds like they did a great job of making the process as easy as possible. Mind if I ask about how long the process was for you until you got your vehicle back?
The motor came in within 2 weeks.small dealership only one tech he went out with covid day after motor came in.came back found out they needed a special lift bar to take old motor out that took 1 week to get here.it took 1 month to change motor and 2 days of them driveing and double checking the work.the old motor ran fine just a ticking noise but this new motor feels alot looser and quicker to rev up.crysler sent me a paper in the mail 2 weeks after i got it back for the new warrenty.hope it goes just as well for you but maybe a little quicker. :rock:

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
I had to get the Ecoboost 2.3 in my wife's old Explorer replaced at 11k miles for cylinder wall scoring. It happens. Could be manufacturing defects, whatever. It happens

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
Why would you lose any equity? This has zero effect on your resale value. As long as it's fixed, no one will know or care. My compass got a new engine at like 40k. When we traded it in, to a Chrysler/Jeep dealer, no one asked or cared. Had a Subaru with a new engine once too. Same thing. No one cares come trade in time.
if anything it might help, if getting a new engine, I'm sure it wont come from the factory with 40K miles on it !

Captain Muskie

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 JLUS
Occupation
Steelworker
The craziest thing about mine was i bought it off the lot but it had a built for name on the sticker.the dealer said the original guys bank wouldnt give him the money so he didn't buy it but i will allways wonder if he heard the ticking but i didnt.lol keep us updated on your progress mbbq22

Sponsored

Christoferweld

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Did it sound like this?

You ever figure this out? My 6speed has been making exact same sound, usually during light throttle/3-4k rpm while pulling a hill - happened in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. Outside temps and engine temp have no impact, if I accelerate it gets louder, deceleration makes it quieter, downshifting to higher rpm eliminates it. It’s infrequent, typically can’t reproduce it at will - only thing that has *seemed* to lessen the frequency is higher grade gas (premium over low or mid grade - thank god I live in California where gas is cheap……🤦‍♂️).
It’s not something that happens every day, and when it happens, it’s only under the conditions described above. For reference, my commute takes me from 4200’ to 200’ or so; Jeep has 3" lift, 37’s, stock 4.10 (5.38’s going in tomorrow).

DrPlastic

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 H-D Breakout, '21 Willys Gladiator
Occupation
Aircraft Electrician/Mechanic
Why would you lose any equity? This has zero effect on your resale value. As long as it's fixed, no one will know or care. My compass got a new engine at like 40k. When we traded it in, to a Chrysler/Jeep dealer, no one asked or cared. Had a Subaru with a new engine once too. Same thing. No one cares come trade in time.
Any repairs will show up in Carfax and can have a negative effect of the vehicles' value.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Any repairs will show up in Carfax and can have a negative effect of the vehicles' value.
1) No it doesn't. I get carfax notifications when something gets reported, and I can say with certainty that some dealerships and service centers report it to Carfax, some don't. I get an instantaneous email and text at the ones who do. Now, I also have the option on the Carfax app or website to enter my own maintenance records, and utilize that as well. But otherwise, at the closest dealership, nothing goes in. I have to do it myself. The one a little further away: every single oil change goes on. The local 4x4 shop replaced balljoints on my wife's JK. That went on instantly. The local jeep dealership does warranty repairs... Nothing.
There's an option on the app to invite more dealerships and service centers to participate, so clearly, they want to be all encompassing, but they are not. The site even lists lists all of the locations that do participate.

Jeep Gladiator New Engine Needed at 42k miles!?!?! Screenshot_20220117-142952_Chrome

2). I've had two engines replaced on two different vehicles from two different makes. No effect on value. Still given the "very good to excellent" condition appraisals. They walk you through why they appraised the vehicle the way they did, including each flaw, and in neither of those cases was the replacement engine even considered. And these weren't a long time ago. This is the Subaru I traded 3 years ago and the Compass I traded 6 months ago. The only things I've taken dings for have been mileage, tires, etc. Never repairs or replacement parts. They tell me "Your Carfax came out clean", print out what they found out, and walk me through why they deduct what they did. Engine replacement, or vehicle repairs have literally never come up as a ding against the vehicle value, even trading to a dealership of the same make, who has access to all the records. They've brought up needing new tires. They've brought up needing brake pads. Never mentioned repairs that were performed. They are checking for mileage, obvious lack of maintenance, condition, accidents, and that's it.
I go through a lot of cars. More than I should. I have plenty of experience with the process.
Sponsored

Last edited: