Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I actually thought about buying a centerforce clutch and asking them to install that when they put the new engine in!
It's worth a try..........
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
When you call a Jeep a car a Pentastar dies. Just kidding! Good luck with the swap! :)
This was one of my last cars ...........

Jeep Gladiator New Engine Needed at 42k miles!?!?! 20191105_145256

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
It’s the Pentastar tick. It happens to a fairly small percentage. If caught early, it’s a cheap easy fix- literally $20 in parts. If left unchecked, it will destroy the cam lobe of the offending rocker. I’ve repaired it on 2 JKs.

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition, Escape, Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Firecracker Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Why would you lose any equity? This has zero effect on your resale value. As long as it's fixed, no one will know or care. My compass got a new engine at like 40k. When we traded it in, to a Chrysler/Jeep dealer, no one asked or cared. Had a Subaru with a new engine once too. Same thing. No one cares come trade in time.
Wouldn't this type of repair show up on CarFax?

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
IF the dealership reports service to Carfax, it'll just be under the maintenance records. It's not an accident, so it doesn't come up in a negative way, to hurt value. The things that hurt value are accidents, not repairs. But most dealerships don't report service/maintenance work to Carfax. Some do, some don't. One of the jeep dealerships I take our JK to reports every oil change, the other doesn't enter records with Carfax at all.

Even if they do, it won't impact the value of the vehicle, they're looking for accidents and damages, not repairs. There's no negative impact to getting a shiny new engine in a used car.

Since my compass was a "jeep", I'm sure the dealership we traded it to saw that it had a new engine, even though it wasn't on the Carfax. But the value did not decrease because of it. If anything that should increase value, but it doesn't do that either. There's no effect positive or negative. On a really old car with a lot of miles, I could see it helping value on the private seller market.

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Most repairs never show up there. I've posted about this several times.
One of the consumer magazines did a test and found the vehicles they researched and independently found out about repairs - none of the repairs on those vehicles was in carfax. The reason is there is no standard, no requirement, no incentive to report it.
They found dealers will report repairs more than independent shops like body shops, and few body shops actually do report things.
I'd say so what if it did?? So what if there was a new engine or transmission installed, especially under warranty? I'd see it as a positive. It indicates nothing and doesn't diminish value in any way at all. Used vehicles with newer major components should be worth more, not less.
As far as accidents - the carfax stuff is really very over-rated.

There's the flip side as well - sometimes things get reported to carfax that are NOT actual repairs or were not the result of a collision or structural damage. Because some systems are so automated it's been found that looking for certain parts using a VIN can trigger a repair report in carfax - so just because carfax says there were major issues does not mean that there were major issues. Just getting estimates or using certain online ordering can trigger bad reports to carfax.

And here's from one consumer site - they did their own studies -
Despite the vast number of resources available, CARFAX vehicle history reports should not be considered completely reliable. There's just no way that one of these reports can be all-inclusive. In fact, we have found major problems with some CARFAX vehicle history reports. Since CARFAX relies on information that is reported to the company, anything that doesn't get reported either to the company or to any of its data sources won't show up in the report. We ordered a report on a vehicle that we knew had extensive collision work performed on it five times. The report showed only one minor collision.
In another case, we purchased reports for four other vehicles we knew were repurchased in North Carolina by the vehicle manufacturers as 'lemons' under the North Carolina Lemon Law. These vehicles showed clean CARFAX reports. We were able to find one vehicle on a local dealer lot as a 'local trade.'

People need to do their own research and not rely on someone taking the time to report a major repair. It's been found most of the time things do not get reported.
The info could be lacking, the info could report problems where none actually exist. I won't ever rely on it, I'll do my own homework when looking into vehicles.

FshnRdnJpnAB

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon. 2005 TJ Rubicon.
This was one of my last cars ...........

Jeep Gladiator New Engine Needed at 42k miles!?!?! 20191105_145256
I defer to you in all things automotive, you are truly a wealth of information and I would never dare to question you.........but, ummm, that’s a truck 😉

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I defer to you in all things automotive, you are truly a wealth of information and I would never dare to question you.........but, ummm, that’s a truck 😉
:(:( Well, that explains the truck plates they insisted I have.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
Don’t all FCA engines tick? Lol. Damn I swear everyone says it’s an issue with the 3.6, 5.7 and 6.4

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I've not had one tick yet - we've had multiple Grand Cherokees with the 3.6 and now my JT - no tick beyond what I'd expect out of any such engine. My 4.0 sounds louder than the 3.6 and I've got aluminum roller rockers in it.

trailless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
I had a JK with the 3.6L and stretched a timing a chain somehow... Crazy misfire and a bit of metal in the oil. Bu that was at 100k miles. I had some other issues with the 3.6L and was not happy with that engine.
Sponsored