Sponsored

New engine replacement on 2021 3.6

Bandolero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
If you know you took good care of your jeep…. Drag them through the mud on Twitter or TikTok. I’m not a social media guy but bad publicity seems to make them want to do the right thing.
Sponsored

Outback_Joe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Retired Civil Engineer
That filter is very, very old. It has 2 tears in the pleats on the side shown in the photo and big piece of dirt or whatever. If this is your filter you need to aske for it back so you can have it looked at by a third party. Yes, a good dealer will keep the old parts since you paid for them in the first place. The oil looks like it came out of a diesel rig since its so black. I have never seen oil that black in any gas motor.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
You can also use the Jeep app or the Jeep website to record service done for the vehicle.
This is what I do, as soon as I complete the oil change I update the menu in the truck and post everything in the app.

In the Jeep app > Service and Maintenance > History > Add a Record (add information) mileage, oil type (ensure its MS6395 compliant), oil quantity (5 qts), oil filter type w/part number. Keep your information up to date, don't give the stealership any ammo to deny a warranty claim.

1st Oil Change - 1,790 miles
2nd Oil Change - 5,944 miles (4,154 miles)
Next Oil Change - 10,000 mile (4,056 miles)

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
I would ask them to prove that is your filter.......
AND..........to see the inside the oil pan and to remove the cam covers to see the so called sludge in there........even at 6,000 oil change interval there should be no sludge.

bakobobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator California
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Doer of things

Sponsored

Osteodoc08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mojave
I’d also get an oil sample
And send to blackstone and get a TBN. That’ll show what condition the oil was truly in.
I change my own oil, photo document the oil being drained, oil going in and send a sample to blackstone.

DickensCPA

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Avalanche / 2004 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
CPA
Where did you had it changed. To get sludge, they might have had skip 1 or 2 filters replacement or even oils. I don't trust any place like Jiffy Lube type of places. They won't turns people away regardless if they has filters instock or not.
I hate to jump on Jiffy and sound like I'm dumping on them, but I won't go to any of those places either. My Dad always said learn to take care of your own crap because no one cares about your crap like you do.

I change the oil in everything I got - boat, mine and wife's vehicle, Harley, lawn mower and ATV. I have an ATV I bought for hunting brand new in 2010 and I kid you not it looks like it come off a showroom floor and I use it like the tool it's intended for. I bought a zero turn mower in 2008 and only like three of us mow our own lawn where I live but the other two guys have been thru 2 or 3 mowers and mine is like brand new.

A few years ago I had a Ram 1500. I always change my own oil. I own a CPA firm and was running around on 9/15 getting sigs to file my extended corporate returns and I noticed it was time for an oil change. I knew I would be hard pressed to find time to change it myself until after 10/15. I thought it wouldn't hurt just one time letting Jiffy change my oil.

At this time we were still required to go thru emissions to renew our tags and you could not renew if you had a CEL. They change my oil and the next day I had a CEL and my tags were due 9/30. I hook up my scanner and got a code that said "wrong oil." I called Jiffy and they made fun of me and said there was no such code and it may not be the optimal oil but wouldn't hurt anything. They did say come back and they would drain it and replace.

I go back the next day and they do. He hooks up their scanner and he got the same code and he was surprised himself. Fast forward a couple months to November and my wife borrowed my truck and was stranded on the interstate. It was locked up tighter than a drum. Had it towed home and the next day I'm exploring. I removed the valve covers and everything was a weird burnt orange color under everything I removed. Drained the oil (still have it in a bucket) it came out like orange foam.

A buddy came over and suggested I send the oil off for analysis. I did and a short time later I got a call and the guy told me who he was and was with and asked if I knew the difference between my oil plug and trans plug. I assured him I did and he said I didn't because I sent him burnt up transmission fluid additive. It wasn't a heavy trans fluid it was some type of light weight additive.

I paid for a new engine in December and it took me until the next March to get my money from Jiffy but I at least got it.

vettred84

First Name
fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep jt, corvette, cobalt ss, nissan altima,
Occupation
electrician
Maybe someone changed your oil without changing the filter

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I hate to jump on Jiffy and sound like I'm dumping on them, but I won't go to any of those places either. My Dad always said learn to take care of your own crap because no one cares about your crap like you do.

I change the oil in everything I got - boat, mine and wife's vehicle, Harley, lawn mower and ATV. I have an ATV I bought for hunting brand new in 2010 and I kid you not it looks like it come off a showroom floor and I use it like the tool it's intended for. I bought a zero turn mower in 2008 and only like three of us mow our own lawn where I live but the other two guys have been thru 2 or 3 mowers and mine is like brand new.

A few years ago I had a Ram 1500. I always change my own oil. I own a CPA firm and was running around on 9/15 getting sigs to file my extended corporate returns and I noticed it was time for an oil change. I knew I would be hard pressed to find time to change it myself until after 10/15. I thought it wouldn't hurt just one time letting Jiffy change my oil.

At this time we were still required to go thru emissions to renew our tags and you could not renew if you had a CEL. They change my oil and the next day I had a CEL and my tags were due 9/30. I hook up my scanner and got a code that said "wrong oil." I called Jiffy and they made fun of me and said there was no such code and it may not be the optimal oil but wouldn't hurt anything. They did say come back and they would drain it and replace.

I go back the next day and they do. He hooks up their scanner and he got the same code and he was surprised himself. Fast forward a couple months to November and my wife borrowed my truck and was stranded on the interstate. It was locked up tighter than a drum. Had it towed home and the next day I'm exploring. I removed the valve covers and everything was a weird burnt orange color under everything I removed. Drained the oil (still have it in a bucket) it came out like orange foam.

A buddy came over and suggested I send the oil off for analysis. I did and a short time later I got a call and the guy told me who he was and was with and asked if I knew the difference between my oil plug and trans plug. I assured him I did and he said I didn't because I sent him burnt up transmission fluid additive. It wasn't a heavy trans fluid it was some type of light weight additive.

I paid for a new engine in December and it took me until the next March to get my money from Jiffy but I at least got it.
I know of one of those places that drained the engine oil and put oil back into........... the transmission.

Sponsored

daniel5789

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jT
So after all the crap that’s been going one with my Gladiator, turns out I have the have a new engine dropped in. My JT has 58k miles so I was at least happy powertrain would cover it. The deal ship, however, sent me a picture text of black oil on the oil filter and said there was “sludge” in it so it would not be covered in warranty. I’ve always had the oil changes 3k-6k miles but of course my dumb@ss didn’t hold receipts. So $10k later- this is happening. Is there a way I can get them to actually prove MY motor that is now outside of the gladiator actually had this issue? (It’s my daily so I told them to proceed with engine swap). But after reading around I’m worried they are trying to screw me.
I’m 40 years old and know how to take care of a vehicle.
HI
How long have you been waiting for a new engine? I too had a 3.6L engine which unfortunately blew up at 26000 miles. Now waiting for the new engine, but BACKORDER, and no ETA, it's annoying.

Stan H

First Name
Stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon 2021
Occupation
Safety Consultant

I had been driving a company vehicle and I I pretty sure the same thing happened to it also. Cause the guy said oil was red .

slowstang305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Maybe someone changed your oil without changing the filter
This is my guess as well. I change my own oil for this exact reason. No one will take care of your car like you do. My guess is they changed the oil and left the filter. There have been many cases where people are billed for services that are not performed.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
It would take more than ONE single miss on the filter change to show a mess like that with sludge.
Way back when, people used to do oil changes and change the filter every-other-time. It was normal, even recommended that the filter didn't need to be changed every time. Think of the times - the oil, the way cars were made and driven - and filters didn't look like that. Not in just one skip of the filter change.
If you changed your oil every 5,000 miles and someone else waits until the oil percentage is at 0, or around 9,000-10,000 miles, you would be saying that their filter would look like that or that 2 5,000 mile oil changes skipping the filter change once would be the same thing.
Sorry, that's not just skipping the filter change one time. If it was, that means every person who went the full 10,000 miles on an oil change would have black sludge and it just isn't so.
You'd have to go 10,000 miles between changes and skip the filter change at least one time to get like that. (I need to go back through all pages to see what oil was used as well - or how it was driven)

With today's oils and not if you actually warm the engine up and drive it for more than 10 minutes at a time you can easily go farther out without sludge.

There's still more to this story that isn't here.

Sandevino

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I’ve changed oil filters on CAT engines that were cleaner than that one. Someone’s BS’ing you into paying for an engine.
Sponsored