outdrluvr28

outdrluvr28

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willy's
Yeah, that is not a MOPAR filter. I have used non MOPAR jobber filters and none them came out looking like that.

Filter looks like it has maybe not been changed for a couple of services. These engines are not known for sludging unless the oil changing has been neglected. You might have issue with whatever shop that claims they did your oil changes.

Did you get any of the Jeep Wave oil change services done? Dealership should have a record of that and it would at least be a hard record you started out at least taking care of it before switching to another shop.
Sadly no. They told me I had like 7 free oil changes stored from Jeep.

Charles 236

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Jeep technician
I realize that "Jiffy Lube" type places use a generic filter, or their own branded filter. Still, the cost difference for a Mopar filter versus one of these generic filters is minimal. As for sludge, it most commonly results from lots of short trips that don't allow the engine to get the oil hot enough to evaporate the moisture in it.

jav_eee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
For future reference you can use the carfax app to log service and keep pictures of receipts.

Kirk*Mojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Jeep Mojave/toyota camry
If they did find "sludge" I'm guessing who ever did the oil changes didn't do their job.
Here is the picture they text me.

5E7476F5-ECC9-4B91-A268-D9063C791E78.jpeg
Wow!! You are going to have an uphill battle on your hands. Looks like that filter came out of a diesel motor

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
For future reference you can use the carfax app to log service and keep pictures of receipts.
You can also use the Jeep app or the Jeep website to record service done for the vehicle.

jav_eee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
You can also use the Jeep app or the Jeep website to record service done for the vehicle.
I didn’t even know there was a jeep app!

yoda13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
So, you are out 10K turnkey? I would see if where I got it done could give me receipts…

Stan H

First Name
Stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon 2021
Occupation
Safety Consultant
So after all the crap that’s been going one with my Gladiator, turns out I have the have a new engine dropped in. My JT has 58k miles so I was at least happy powertrain would cover it. The deal ship, however, sent me a picture text of black oil on the oil filter and said there was “sludge” in it so it would not be covered in warranty. I’ve always had the oil changes 3k-6k miles but of course my dumb@ss didn’t hold receipts. So $10k later- this is happening. Is there a way I can get them to actually prove MY motor that is now outside of the gladiator actually had this issue? (It’s my daily so I told them to proceed with engine swap). But after reading around I’m worried they are trying to screw me.
I’m 40 years old and know how to take care of a vehicle.
If oil was change at a quick change place then they should have the records in there system . Get copies .

Stan H

First Name
Stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon 2021
Occupation
Safety Consultant
So after all the crap that’s been going one with my Gladiator, turns out I have the have a new engine dropped in. My JT has 58k miles so I was at least happy powertrain would cover it. The deal ship, however, sent me a picture text of black oil on the oil filter and said there was “sludge” in it so it would not be covered in warranty. I’ve always had the oil changes 3k-6k miles but of course my dumb@ss didn’t hold receipts. So $10k later- this is happening. Is there a way I can get them to actually prove MY motor that is now outside of the gladiator actually had this issue? (It’s my daily so I told them to proceed with engine swap). But after reading around I’m worried they are trying to screw me.
I’m 40 years old and know how to take care of a vehicle.
The other way if you changed it yourself then. Go to the store you bought the oil and filters from and they may be able to look up all purchases by you .

Sponsored

Almost

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD & 09 JKU
This. For anything I do myself I log online and I also take a picture of the oil/filter day of the change for extra documentation along with my odometer. I do this because I buy my filters in bulk and often isn't the same time of order. I had a dealer try and deny my lifetime powertrain warranty at 205K miles on my JKU. They tried to tell me my transmission was serviced incorrectly and didn't have the correct oil (Mopar ATF+4) and filter (Wix) in it. I called their bluff with receipts and got a new transmission. It turns out the transmission wasn't the issue so I just got a new one for free anyway. It was a short in the wiring harness. Thanks, Jeep!

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Where did you had it changed. To get sludge, they might have had skip 1 or 2 filters replacement or even oils. I don't trust any place like Jiffy Lube type of places. They won't turns people away regardless if they has filters instock or not.
I'm curious about this as well ... were you doing your own services, dealer, or a quick lube location? .... that filter looks suspect.

Todd Fourmy

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT gladiator
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
I would ask them to prove that is your filter.......
I would not waist my time with Jeep cares, seems they really don't. My 11k mile JT smokes on 1st start of the day and star people tell me it is residual oil in the intake, no action required. Now i've had to hire an attorney.

OP
OP
outdrluvr28

outdrluvr28

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willy's
I would not waist my time with Jeep cares, seems they really don't. My 11k mile JT smokes on 1st start of the day and star people tell me it is residual oil in the intake, no action required. Now i've had to hire an attorney.
Yikes! Well I’m suppose to pick my gladiator up today so I’ll talk to them about proving my motor has sludge.
Sponsored