First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
Stupid question, but 1/8 is crazy low. How do you know it's at 6%? Mine doesn't show a percent. What does the range screen show? 6% would be like 1.3 gallons. Is that enough to cover the fuel pump? 6% is more like 1/16th.
Ok, so he used the UConnect app to get his fuel %, so I went and checked the app. Never messed with that app for anything but lock/unlock. Why would they give a % full in that stupid app but not on one of the instrument panel displays or even the ORP or other 8.4 screen displays? If they give you DEF and Oil Life in % then why can’t they do fuel as a % in the vehicle displays? These aren’t questions that need answering. It would be nice to have the option for displaying liquid levels as a % of full.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds exactly like what my old WJ Grand Cherokee had happen. Turned out to be the engine crank sensor. Then again it was eighteen years old.
Funny you should mention that - had a similar happen to me! Yes, an older Jeep and yes it was the crank sensor.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
How far past the railroad tracks did you land? ;)

I bet a loose fuse in the fuse box.
That's exactly why I asked about the RR tracks, if they were rough, at least check all the fuses - press on all of them.

Wbrook24

First Name
West
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator rubicon
I tossed the gas can in the back the other day. Hit 0 range as I got to work. Drove home about 13 miles, but got anxious about it so I filled up. I hit shut off on the pump at 19 gallons and it slowly squeezed 2 more gallons in before I gave up.
Careful topping off like that. It can screw up the evap system or mess up the float in the tank. My buddy works at a jeep dealership and has had a bunch of Rams and several Gladiators in because people kept over-filling the tank.

Sponsored

TwelveGaugeSage

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Kawasaki Z125, 2016 Yamaha WR250R, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Air Force Contractor
Careful topping off like that. It can screw up the evap system or mess up the float in the tank. My buddy works at a jeep dealership and has had a bunch of Rams and several Gladiators in because people kept over-filling the tank.
Good to know this has been an issue. I will be careful from now on. I'm used to vehicles where you fill them until they are near the top of the filler neck.

sdk131

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow - Sarge Green
I am betting it turns out to be the fuses ....or maybe a ground issue. It just sounds like a few other stories I have read on here. When I checked my fuses just after it was delivered (based opn what I read here) I found that several clicked in much tight and at least a few were very loose and almost barely in place.

MyRight

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Freedom, 2003 Grand Cherokee Laredo
Funny you should mention that - had a similar happen to me! Yes, an older Jeep and yes it was the crank sensor.
I've replaced the crank sensor in my '03 Grand Cherokee twice since I've owned it.

kooltoys

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTD, 90 300zx TT, 07 Nightrain, MB 3.0L Diesel
Occupation
AV Design/Programming
Hopefully it is just gas, but we will see. I fill up at 3/8 a tank, with the exception being long trips, where I'll stretch it to when the screen says 70 miles range or so. But if the light comes on, I'm filling up for sure. No reason to wait any longer. Gas will just be more expensive the longer I wait

Instead, you get to fill up every other day haha (unless diesel). 20 gallons of usable tank at 17 mpg =every 2.6 days. But 6% is 1.3 gallons of fuel left. That's way past low fuel light time. If I fill up when the fuel light comes on, I can get about 18 gallons in, which means there are 4 gallons left when the light comes on.
that tells me I got 40 miles or so left!! I live on the fuel light, across 3 vehicles

cdyoung9799

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
It's best to always have half a tank when you get home. Emergencies or whatever. Wife is a repeat "reserve-addict". Not with the Glad. Needs to have 50% fuel when I park it.
Same here. I have random road trips come up with work where I need to head out at the last minute. This way I'm not scrambling for gas. My daughter is a new driver, and I'm teaching her to stay prepared like this too so she doesn't get stranded somewhere, especially in an unsafe area.

Sponsored

centra28

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave Hydro Blue Pearl Coat
heck, i live life on the edge. Fuel low indicator all the time.
Same. I like to test my limits too, so I know where I truly stand. So far I have gotten past the 10 miles left until empty to where it only says low mileage until empty.

OP
OP
ScooterInTX

ScooterInTX

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Dealership has it. Told me it wasn't a fuel issue even though they didn't do anything other than open the door and jot down the mileage. Then they mentioned it would be at LEAST 10 days before they could look at it! I called all of the other dealerships in San Antonio and the ones that actually answered told me the same! Is this a normal backlog for Jeep/Chrysler shops? I know that dealership service departments are typically terrible but this is way beyond what I had to deal with from Chevy or Toyota service.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I've replaced the crank sensor in my '03 Grand Cherokee twice since I've owned it.
Wow, amazing. I still have the original sensor in the 4.0 that's in my Eagle. Thank goodness as the way that thing fit into that car I'd probably have to drop the engine down a bit to get to that sensor now.

Only had the one go bad in the other Jeep and our Grand Cherokees in the last 10-15 years have been fine.

Then they mentioned it would be at LEAST 10 days before they could look at it! I called all of the other dealerships in San Antonio and the ones that actually answered told me the same! Is this a normal backlog for Jeep/Chrysler shops?
No, not typical. More in the last year I've noticed, but around here, DEPENDING on how you contact them, who you talk to and what the problem is, you can often get in in under a week.
I did go in one a day where the dealer shop I use was down to 2 service writers and they were short at least a couple of techs.
One was out with Covid, another with flu, one service writer had a wife delivering that day, one of the tech's had a kid that had been exposed to covid so they told him to stay home, and other stuff going on left them sorely short-staffed. One woman got pissed and stormed out saying "if I was a man you wouldn't treat me that way". I wanted to yell at her "no, you are getting BETTER treatment because you ARE a woman........., get over it". I've observed them working with customers - that woman just had a bad attitude to begin with. Maybe her coffee was cold or something.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
There's a post or two from a year ago where a person commented that their dealership told them it messed with the evaporative emissions controls, too - I even found explanations online that show exactly that thing. More than one has had the canister replaced due to flooding with gas. Gas also expands once out of the ground if the ambient temperature is over 55 because the gas in the tanks in the ground will be about 55.

Wbrook24

First Name
West
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator rubicon
Good to know this has been an issue. I will be careful from now on. I'm used to vehicles where you fill them until they are near the top of the filler neck.
Ya for most of the new cars once it hits shutoff wait 30 seconds then do one more squeeze and thats it. They can be pretty touchy and the float can get stuck if over filled.
Sponsored