First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator sport S
Occupation
Firefighter
Has anyone had the new steel box replaced by dealer with no hassle? I know the TSB was for the 2020’s but will they replace steel box with another if the customer still feels the steering is an issue?

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
Has anyone had the new steel box replaced by dealer with no hassle? I know the TSB was for the 2020’s but will they replace steel box with another if the customer still feels the steering is an issue?
No. If the steel gear is bad it could get replaced just like any defective part under warrantee but not just because the customer doesn’t like the feel nor under the TSB simpy because the steel gear isn’t covered by it.

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Do you have a stock '21 with a steel box and feel that steering is still an issue?

Sponsored

BT911

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator sport S
Occupation
Firefighter
Do you have a stock '21 with a steel box and feel that steering is still an issue?
Yes stock 2021 Sport S with black steering box and I feel the steering is an issue

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Yes stock 2021 Sport S with black steering box and I feel the steering is an issue
Is this the first straight axle Jeep you've owned?

cleatus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
computer fixie guy
got mine replaced-- did not seem to do much. still wanders.
mine DID have the pull to the right--that seems fixed.

JEEP CARE: just get them to program out the dead spot we have on these!!! have to turn the wheel 1-2" to get it to even react. it should be immediate steering at all times-- no "delay" like these have.

BT911

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator sport S
Occupation
Firefighter
Is this the first straight axle Jeep you've owned?
Yes it’s the first single axle vehicle I have ever owned and that is the same question the jeep tech asked me but that being said it does not feel right it feels dangerous! Like was just mentioned shouldn’t have to turn the wheel that much to get a response

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Yes it’s the first single axle vehicle I have ever owned and that is the same question the jeep tech asked me but that being said it does not feel right it feels dangerous! Like was just mentioned shouldn’t have to turn the wheel that much to get a response
I know the '21s are supposed to have the new box, but have you verified that? If you're that convinced that it's not right, I'd go to your dealer and ask to test drive another '21 to see if it's the same way. If yours is noticeably different, that's your ammo for getting them to change it out.

Sponsored

sdk131

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow - Sarge Green

Sorry that you still feel it has issues, but to be honest it would be nearly impossible for anyone on the internet to determine if it is just your persception or if it is an actual issue. While I would think the odds are small it is still possible the box was defective from the factory on your 21 and/or not installed correctly (loose bolt, air in line, etc). As a quick example of the "perception" aspect of this - my wife (who has only ever driven cars with independent front suspension) drove my Gladiator and mentioned it felt sloppy and wandered, etc. On the other hand I have driven many Jeeps and full size trucks (F250/350) over the years and I think it handles amazing and better than any of the other solid axle vehicles I have driven.

Have you asked to take another gladiator on the lot for a ride? After all of the obvious items (air pressure, alignment, etc) have been confirmed to be within spec on yours that may be the only reasonable option left as a comparison.

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Sorry that you still feel it has issues, but to be honest it would be nearly impossible for anyone on the internet to determine if it is just your persception or if it is an actual issue. While I would think the odds are small it is still possible the replacment box was defective and/or not installed correctly (loose bolt, air in line, etc). As a quick example of the "perception" aspect of this - my wife (who has only ever driven cars with independent front suspension) drove my Gladiator and mentioned it felt sloppy and wandered, etc. On the other hand I have driven many Jeeps and full size trucks (F250/350) over the years and I think it handles amazing and better than any of the other solid axle vehicles I have driven.

Have you asked to take another gladiator on the lot for a ride? After all of the obvious items (air pressure, alignment, etc) have been confirmed to be within spec on yours that may be the only reasonable option left as a comparison.
That's another one there. Tire pressure is very important to check as well. The only alignment spec they can adjust is toe, so that could be roughly checked at home as well.

BT911

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator sport S
Occupation
Firefighter
I know the '21s are supposed to have the new box, but have you verified that? If you're that convinced that it's not right, I'd go to your dealer and ask to test drive another '21 to see if it's the same way. If yours is noticeably different, that's your ammo for getting them to change it out.
From what I understand the old box was aluminum and silver in color and the new box is steel and black in color. The only verification I have is that I can see that I do in fact have the black box

BT911

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator sport S
Occupation
Firefighter
That's another one there. Tire pressure is very important to check as well. The only alignment spec they can adjust is toe, so that could be roughly checked at home as well.
I used the chalk test to determine the tire pressure

Rollcast

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Check torque on every nut and bolt throughout the steering system. Before the TSB, numerous people found loose components that were causing crappy steering.
Sponsored