Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Well I've got my JT steering gearbox replacement done.
Now for the bad and good. Torn pitman arm tie rod boot, steering wheel off center (my dealership don't do tires or aliments) and directed me to who they use. They was slammed with jobs to do. Come back next week. On the good when driving it's not "swimming down the road" IE: tracking straight but I've got to hold steering wheel off center ☹
I started to just fix it myself and check everything out and found torn tie rod end boot. So another call and visit to dealership for the boot.

Now if "Jeep Cares" reads this you can recommend adding a tie rod boot to the replacement steering gearbox "kit" with the bolts. It could save repeat visits for the job. Note I'm not needing anything yet on the job done. I think the dealership is doing a good job so far and they want my repeat business. Being a 5 Jeep owner. That's thinking about a EV Jeep shortly down the road. :like: and 4wd with ground clearance is a requirement for me.
Sponsored

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
Sounds (and looks) like techs are using pickle forks to disassemble parts instead of pullers. Make them fix it. Thats just crazy.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds (and looks) like techs are using pickle forks to disassemble parts instead of pullers. Make them fix it. Thats just crazy.
That's the plan I just have to go back when the service dept is open. I actually expected it especially since only one of the service mechanic was there yesterday and having all the jobs to do. The other reason I follow up on any work done on my vehicles not done by myself.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
That's the plan I just have to go back when the service dept is open. I actually expected it especially since only one of the service mechanic was there yesterday and having all the jobs to do. The other reason I follow up on any work done on my vehicles not done by myself.
I hope that everyone that is getting crappy service is burning the dealerships on the surveys Jeep sends out. Sometimes that's the only way to get someone's attention.

trloh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
I decided to make a small adjustment to my original aluminum box in my Mojave and the difference has finally made me satisfied with the drivability. About 1/8 turn on the adjustment.

After driving it for more than 7000 miles and second guessing my purchase decision this seemed to work. Avoided the dealer due to no time and issues others have had. I wonder if the OEM decided dealers were not up to making an adjustment as they could cause too many issues and this is the reason for the replacements. Then replacements have been so iffy for some owners once performed.

Sponsored

RangerG

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Instructor
I would be pissed if my dealer denies to do this just because I have a much better fox steering stabilizer and 35 inch tires...
Just took my Gladiator in for this. I have 35” tires/method wheels, upgrade fox 2.0 stearing stabilizer and sector shaft/track bar bracket installed. Stock suspension. The dealer did not blink an eye. Order new box on Friday. Will give me a call when it comes in

Bookem.Dano.Bookem

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator North, Ducati Scrambler
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Had mine replaced, and there was HUGE difference in the amount of play and wander in the wheel.

Unfortunately I feel like the new steel one is currently having the same issue. There are about 5k miles on the steel gear, and the play and dead spot in the wheel is actually worse than it was before having it replaced. That said it doesn't pull me into oncoming traffic anymore.

Wondering if anyone else has noticed anything similar?

Benbean66

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Honda CB350, '88 RHD YJ, '88 YJ, 2020 JT Spor
Occupation
Railroad Equipment Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Had mine replaced, and there was HUGE difference in the amount of play and wander in the wheel.

Unfortunately I feel like the new steel one is currently having the same issue. There are about 5k miles on the steel gear, and the play and dead spot in the wheel is actually worse than it was before having it replaced. That said it doesn't pull me into oncoming traffic anymore.

Wondering if anyone else has noticed anything similar?
I'm actually going to the dealer today for that very same issue. The first drive with the new steering gear was awesome, but it quickly seemed to loosen up again. I also found I had a bad tie rod end On the pitman side of my drag link, which doesn't help matters.

Bookem.Dano.Bookem

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I'm actually going to the dealer today for that very same issue. The first drive with the new steering gear was awesome, but it quickly seemed to loosen up again. I also found I had a bad tie rod end On the pitman side of my drag link, which doesn't help matters.
Let me know what you find out!

Benbean66

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Let me know what you find out!
Dealer ordered a new "Inner" end link for the drag link, since they said it was definitely bad. They said they'd need to realign it after install, so we will see what difference that makes. I also lowered my tire pressure to 35psi, and will do a chalk test to rule out over-inflated tires.

Sponsored

Bookem.Dano.Bookem

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Interestingly enough there is a new issue. While driving to NY today the dead spot got much work and now have a "service electronic stability control" error.

atxatxatx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WK2Grand Cherokee,Gladiator Mojave
What is the Mopar part number for the power steering fluid on our JT's. I want to add a little bit to my gladiator, want to be sure I put in the right stuff. thanks.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Yes stock 2021 Sport S with black steering box and I feel the steering is an issue
got mine replaced-- did not seem to do much. still wanders.
mine DID have the pull to the right--that seems fixed.

JEEP CARE: just get them to program out the dead spot we have on these!!! have to turn the wheel 1-2" to get it to even react. it should be immediate steering at all times-- no "delay" like these have.
Hi @cleatus & @BT911,

Please send our team a private message with your VIN so that we can assist further.

Hi @Benbean66- Please keep us updated on your repairs.

Interestingly enough there is a new issue. While driving to NY today the dead spot got much work and now have a "service electronic stability control" error.
Hi @Bookem.Dano.Bookem - We're sorry to hear about this experience! Please feel free to follow up with our team in private messages if you would like additional support while in service.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

Benbean66

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
@JeepCares, the dealer inspected the tie rod ends and confirmed that the inner drag link end is bad. Parts are ordered, and I have an appointment for this coming Wednesday to have it replaced and aligned.

Thank you for following up with this.

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S.
What is the Mopar part number for the power steering fluid on our JT's. I want to add a little bit to my gladiator, want to be sure I put in the right stuff. thanks.
Mopar 68088485AB
Sponsored