Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Picked mine up last night, and what a difference, I love my JT again. I could tell the difference pulling out of the parking spot. I can now drive at highway speed without white knuckling it. My truck was downright scary at 60 mph +, I rarely went over 65, and that was both hands on wheel with a death grip. I drove home in rush hour traffic at 70-75MPH on a 3 lane highway, with 1 hand on the wheel, and the biggest smile on my face. I can finally take aroad trip.
That's how it should be and what I've been advocating all along - there's no excuse for what some have experienced.
I drove mine in winds in EXCESS of 80 mph and I was going 80+ and passing other vehicles in a mad rush to get home before the storm from hell hit us. And I didn't have trouble keeping the truck going where I wanted.
(I have found now that the winds hit 140 mph - and here's a pic from the INTERIOR wall of a house not that many miles from us - the town where I was raised - yes, that's one of multiple 2x4s and yes, that's an interior wall )

Jeep Gladiator New JT Gladiator Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 6f95e7cc-3a16-4e09-9994-e2d99da96840_1140x641
Sponsored

IRBGLAD

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland Bright White, 2017 ICON Street Legal GC
That's how it should be and what I've been advocating all along - there's no excuse for what some have experienced.
I drove mine in winds in EXCESS of 80 mph and I was going 80+ and passing other vehicles in a mad rush to get home before the storm from hell hit us. And I didn't have trouble keeping the truck going where I wanted.
(I have found now that the winds hit 140 mph - and here's a pic from the INTERIOR wall of a house not that many miles from us - the town where I was raised - yes, that's one of multiple 2x4s and yes, that's an interior wall )

Jeep Gladiator New JT Gladiator Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 6f95e7cc-3a16-4e09-9994-e2d99da96840_1140x641
Wow that is crazy. I have had my Gladiator for 1 year today, and it finally drives right. 364 days of crap driving, but i am ecstatic it is finally fixed!

mtgustin

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave Past: 76' CJ-7, 2013 GC Altitude 5.7, 87 Wrangler
Occupation
Horribly underpaid government worker
What was the fix?

Wow that is crazy. I have had my Gladiator for 1 year today, and it finally drives right. 364 days of crap driving, but i am ecstatic it is finally fixed!

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Sales
It reads to me that the new bolts are steel...not the box. But that could elude to a steel box also.

Also if you don't really have a problem...at least wait until those of us with real problems get the parts as they come available..... heck if your alum steering box is good I'll trade you.
WELL SAID!

Nurse K

First Name
Karla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
RN
Well I'm happy to report a very good experience at Westgate Jeep in Raleigh this morning. (where I purchased my Gladiator)

As the lady was checking me in, the service advisor overheard me describing the loose steering issue (I was showing her a video I had record to demonstrate the issue). He immediately said they are aware of the issue and the TSB. Said honestly I don't even need to take your Jeep into the shop, there's nothing we can do for it today. He said they'll get the parts ordered but they probably won't come in until mid-Sept. Told him I was getting ready to install a lift and tires and wanted to make sure there was no confusion about the source of the steering issues. He said no worries, I can clearly see your Jeep is stock today, we'll get the parts ordered. I was in/out in under 10 mins. So thus far I couldn't be happier. Fingers crossed they actually order the parts and there aren't problems in Sept, but let's not borrow tomorrow's problems. Celebrate the win today.
I feel like a lottery winner!!

I picked up mine yesterday evening, got on the road and could tell instantly a difference, got to speed 45+before, it would pull right, then veer left, any road surface, NOW, NOTHING!!!
no dead spot, feeling the box bounce from right to left, then pull right, then veer left, drives like its supposed to!!!

Hold the wheel and it drives straight, its so much nicer to drive. I actually might put some miles on it,
I hope everyone that has this problem gets it repaired with minimal hassle from the dealers(service advisors) this makes everything so much better
Maybe I'll do the lift, wheels and tires now,

I walked into my dealer, talked to my service manager on Friday, dropped it Monday Picked it up Wednesday my ride was unavailable Tuesday, sorry to hear that some of you are having to wait,
The dealership just told me my parts arrived this morning, three weeks early. I’m so thrilled to see how she drives tomorrow when I’m on the interstate for three and half hours. I knew something was not quite right the first big interstate drive when I bought her four weeks ago. Anytime I’m moving over 45 ish it’s like crazy loose steering. I’ve had three Wranglers over the years before the Gladiator so I knowJeeps aren’t sports cars. I’m picking the vehicle up tomorrow by lunch and not only will she have a new bumper, winch and tires...now I will hopefully enjoy the ride home and feel a bit safer to boot.

Sponsored

vega789

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' JTR 94 XJ
Took my JT in along with the tsb since mine pulls right at freeway speeds and wanders at surface streets. Had a guy drive it and he noticed the pull. They're doing an alignment as we speak ( got in at 9:45, said they'd be done by 3-4) then see if it fixes it. They said since I don't have the sales code that this issue doesn't apply to me but they'll look into it. They were also really annoyed I came in with the TSB.

vega789

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' JTR 94 XJ
The dealership just told me my parts arrived this morning, three weeks early. I’m so thrilled to see how she drives tomorrow when I’m on the interstate for three and half hours. I knew something was not quite right the first big interstate drive when I bought her four weeks ago. Anytime I’m moving over 45 ish it’s like crazy loose steering. I’ve had three Wranglers over the years before the Gladiator so I knowJeeps aren’t sports cars. I’m picking the vehicle up tomorrow by lunch and not only will she have a new bumper, winch and tires...now I will hopefully enjoy the ride home and feel a bit safer to boot.
Did yours happen to have the sales code by any chance?

Nurse K

First Name
Karla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
RN
Did yours happen to have the sales code by any chance?
Honestly I’m not sure. I will inquire about this tomorrow when I pick it up from the service. I’ll send an update with the info and the driving experience this weekend.

BilletRUBI

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
Took my JTR to the dealership today and they ordered the parts. The service writer said that the parts should be here tomorrow or Monday.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
And I am EXTREMELY glad that they finally recognized what some of us have known for many months - there was a real issue. When I compared mine to others - there was no doubt in my mind that some folks had some issues that no owner should have to fix themselves, not even ADJUST. This is a problem right out of the box and no one buying any new vehicle, Jeep or VW, should have to fix it themselves.
I understand there's a process, logistics, proving the issue and further, proving to their SUPPLIER that the issue exists (Jeep can't go to xyz company and say "we have problems" unless they have done the paperwork to support it - and if they are an ISO company, which I'm certain they are to sell in the EU - it's even MORE paper trails and records)
I'm very pleased with your results, it honestly makes me glad.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Took my JT in along with the tsb since mine pulls right at freeway speeds and wanders at surface streets. Had a guy drive it and he noticed the pull. They're doing an alignment as we speak ( got in at 9:45, said they'd be done by 3-4) then see if it fixes it. They said since I don't have the sales code that this issue doesn't apply to me but they'll look into it. They were also really annoyed I came in with the TSB.
A "pull" is very different. Pull is normally caused by angles that cannot be adjusted on a Jeep, or by tires. Caster differences, camber differences, cause pull. Those cannot be changed without swapping parts. They are set at the factory - crimped and welded in a jig.
A "pull" could be the steering sector or in some Jeeps - the electronics (not JT, but others that have lane departure warning for example)
If I am brought a vehicle and told it pulls, I check tire pressure, and I swap front tires side to side. Then I test drive it. IF the pull is still there, I check alignment. I check CASTER and CAMBER first. But you can't change those on Jeep straight axle.
If the steering sector has been messed with and the steering wheel is off-center, it can feel like a pull as you hit the high spot of the sector.
As far as being annoyed - screw 'em. That's what the reactions of some "shops" is driving me to feel like. IF you had tried to fix it by swapping a bunch of stuff or making changes not involved in normal lifts and such, maybe they could be annoyed, but if you pull in with a stock JT or even a lift well done, they have no right to be annoyed. You paid for it, there's an issue and JEEP has papers telling THEM how to fix your problems. AND - they get PAID for it!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It reads to me that the new bolts are steel...not the box. But that could elude to a steel box also.

Also if you don't really have a problem...at least wait until those of us with real problems get the parts as they come available..... heck if your alum steering box is good I'll trade you.
Ha - the bolts had better be steel! As far as the sector frame or housing - who cares, it's what's inside that counts. Aluminum castings don't give any more than steel. There's no stretch or flex to them. They'll bust first. If there was a problem with using aluminum then you'd best not be driving anything with a transfer case, transmission or engine made since - well, decades ago ;-)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Will this make the Synergy brace obsolete for the vast majority of drivers out there?
Not in my opinion - that and the trackbar brace when you have monster tires should be a recommended add-on. FRAME FLEX gets involved when trying to turn 37" tires in the rocks..... not the sector itself, but there's a lot of force on that frame and eventually it may fatigue.
IF I was an off-road person much at all, I'd want the braces.

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Called my dealer. He said they have to drive it and confirm the issue exists.

He also said that I was the first person to call them with this issue.

Found that odd.

Next Monday. If they say it doesn't exist, I'll explain that it does.....

Until we are in agreement. As long as that takes.
Sponsored