Sponsored

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR White
So....I'm wondering how many of those people on this forum who previously told me 'it's a Jeep thing' are now going to run out and try and get a new steering box. Hmmm.
Or people saying their jeeps "drive like a dream" after ridiculous amount of lift and big foot, but no appropriate geometry correction.

xs2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
I’m in SoCal but out of town until next week. Already set up appointment for TSB service 8/26, I’ll let you know how it goes.
Awesome! Who did you book an appointment with?

steve68

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator, yes
Occupation
Rocket Builder,
Mine is finished, Picking it up today, I'll report back and see what was done,
I feel like a lottery winner!!

I picked up mine yesterday evening, got on the road and could tell instantly a difference, got to speed 45+before, it would pull right, then veer left, any road surface, NOW, NOTHING!!!
no dead spot, feeling the box bounce from right to left, then pull right, then veer left, drives like its supposed to!!!

Hold the wheel and it drives straight, its so much nicer to drive. I actually might put some miles on it,
I hope everyone that has this problem gets it repaired with minimal hassle from the dealers(service advisors) this makes everything so much better
Maybe I'll do the lift, wheels and tires now,

I walked into my dealer, talked to my service manager on Friday, dropped it Monday Picked it up Wednesday my ride was unavailable Tuesday, sorry to hear that some of you are having to wait,

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
So if modified, and service is refused, even tho it states to do it as per customer complaint... does that mean police can be notified to enforce the Magnusen Act?

How about if they demand the unnecessary inspection?

Just making sure I got me ducks in a row... even tho one likes to wander...
Magnuson Moss Warranty Act is a Federal Civil law. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) oversees it's administration but only acts on corporate level wide malfeasance. At the individual level, you have to sue in Federal Civil Court on your dime to enforce it.

Internet keyboard lawyers like to make claim you can throw out the MMWA vernacular at the dealership when you get push back from them satisfying a warrant claim to get resolution, but this is more myth than fact.

Most times, the various State level consumer protection laws have more direct bite to make a dealer comply with a warranty than the MMWA.

Sponsored

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
House Flipper
I feel like a lottery winner!!

I picked up mine yesterday evening, got on the road and could tell instantly a difference, got to speed 45+before, it would pull right, then veer left, any road surface, NOW, NOTHING!!!
no dead spot, feeling the box bounce from right to left, then pull right, then veer left, drives like its supposed to!!!

Hold the wheel and it drives straight, its so much nicer to drive. I actually might put some miles on it,
I hope everyone that has this problem gets it repaired with minimal hassle from the dealers(service advisors) this makes everything so much better
Maybe I'll do the lift, wheels and tires now,

I walked into my dealer, talked to my service manager on Friday, dropped it Monday Picked it up Wednesday my ride was unavailable Tuesday, sorry to hear that some of you are having to wait,
Mines going in next Tuesday. Does your steering wheel now snap back into center position better? Mine likes to wander a lot but also notice my steering wheel seems to only go back to 10 or 2 position. Wondering if this will help fix that issue also.

IRBGLAD

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland Bright White, 2017 ICON Street Legal GC
Picked mine up last night, and what a difference, I love my JT again. I could tell the difference pulling out of the parking spot. I can now drive at highway speed without white knuckling it. My truck was downright scary at 60 mph +, I rarely went over 65, and that was both hands on wheel with a death grip. I drove home in rush hour traffic at 70-75MPH on a 3 lane highway, with 1 hand on the wheel, and the biggest smile on my face. I can finally take aroad trip.

LoJac963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
This is awesome to hear the new boxes are such a big improvement. As I mentioned, service guy told me boxes would be in yesterday. I called parts and was told different, can't be ordered until the 26th and now I'm on a waiting list......ugh

Shifu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Dropped off dealer today and tech advised they didn’t see the steering wander, but they will still order the parts and replaced at a later date. No ETA on when the parts will arrive as they said they are allocated to certain dealers. Is it worth asking another dealer to replace?

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Dropped off dealer today and tech advised they didn’t see the steering wander, but they will still order the parts and replaced at a later date. No ETA on when the parts will arrive as they said they are allocated to certain dealers. Is it worth asking another dealer to replace?
I would not bother with another dealer if the first one has actually ordered the parts as that will be annotated against your VIN. Going to another dealer and they may not be able to do anything if a open parts order is already in the system.

That being said, it is my opinion that any dealer pushes back and refuses to do this TSB is just not wanting the warranty reimbursement rate payout from FCA on this. The way the TSB is written, it is basically free money for the dealership to do it regardless.

Last edited:

Sponsored

LoJac963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I would not bother with another dealer if the first one has actually ordered the parts as that will annotated against your VIN. Going to another dealer and they may not be able to do anything if a open parts order is already in the system.

That being said, it is my opinion that any dealer pushes back and refuses to do this TSB is just not wanting the warranty reimbursement rate payout from FCA on this. The way the TSB is written, it is basically free money for the dealership to do it regardless.
I think it depends. In my instance all they took was my name. My local dealership is not the one I bought from so I can't imagine they would have much info on my vehicle. I had thought about calling various dealerships to see if they had one in stock but I don't know if the hassle is worth it since I technically have one on order.

Shifu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
I would not bother with another dealer if the first one has actually ordered the parts as that will annotated against your VIN. Going to another dealer and they may not be able to do anything if a open parts order is already in the system.

Good point. I guess I’ll just wait for it to come in. A little annoying because they could’ve just ordered the part last week when I told them the issue over the phone since their tech said they didnt see an issue but still ordering it anyway. The wander is definitely there and could rotate the wheel while still going straight.

steve68

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator, yes
Occupation
Rocket Builder,
Mines going in next Tuesday. Does your steering wheel now snap back into center position better? Mine likes to wander a lot but also notice my steering wheel seems to only go back to 10 or 2 position. Wondering if this will help fix that issue also.
Not sure, I'll check that out and report back,

Dreaded1

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Picked mine up after they said they only completed the software update. The service reciept states they did the steerig box too, which I know they didn't. I questioned the guy at the counter, he said they didn't do the steering box, and then circled the software update on the sheet. He was pretty uninterested in the fact that I called them out for stating work they didn't perform. I might be looking for a new service dept.
Update: 20Aug20
The service dept called me late in the day after I picked my truck up, and I just got around to calling them back. They admitted they did the wrong thing, there is a seperate computer update for the diesel engine, which I dont have, but they did anyway. He said the TSB requires the steering box to be replaced, and then computer updated for that. They have the box on order, should be in next week, they will call me to setup and an appt, and will address my truck according to the TSB.

I am glad they realized their mistake and reached out to me to make it right. And that I did not have to escalate the matter to FCA.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Magnuson Moss Warranty Act is a Federal Civil law. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) oversees it's administration but only acts on corporate level wide malfeasance. At the individual level, you have to sue in Federal Civil Court on your dime to enforce it.

Internet keyboard lawyers like to make claim you can throw out the MMWA vernacular at the dealership when you get push back from them satisfying a warrant claim to get resolution, but this is more myth than fact.

Most times, the various State level consumer protection laws have more direct bite to make a dealer comply with a warranty than the MMWA.
Well said, good explanation and right-on about the state level stuff.
Besides, anything at the federal level - I hope you are young and can afford to drive something else until it's settled.
Sponsored