Sponsored

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator , 2016 Wrangler JK, 2015 Renegade
Occupation
Senior Director of Engineering & Facilities
I’m in SC but my evaluation was less than a half day, picked it up the same afternoon with parts on the list to be ordered every 2 weeks. There are 4 customers ahead of me on the bi-weekly parts order list. Regardless, I’m on the list and got mine back from evaluation the same day. A 2-3 days evaluation is ridiculous. Check your drop off and pick up mileage difference to make sure they aren’t joy riding.
I had my new parts installed this week and steering is much better for sure. Only took one day for swap and no issues, noises or handling concerns with the new parts. Very happy and glad it’s finally done after waiting 2 months on the backordered parts.
Sponsored

Sgt. Pepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
even after steering gear was replaced, vehicle wanders to right, steering wheel was not centered when i got it back from tsb, brought it in for alignement today and when i got it back, still the same if not worse, steering wheel still not centered, is this familiar with anybody?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
even after steering gear was replaced, vehicle wanders to right, steering wheel was not centered when i got it back from tsb, brought it in for alignement today and when i got it back, still the same if not worse, steering wheel still not centered, is this familiar with anybody?
Wander is wander, no direction to a wander. You may mean it leads or pulls to the right.
Wander is having trouble keeping it between the lines.
Pull means it wants to go either left or right.

A pull can be caused by several things including one tire inflation higher than the other, the tire itself causing it, or camber, or the steering gear itself (ODD for the new steering gear to do that)

Steering wheel not centered - some have noted that but there's no reason replacing a steering gear would lead to the wheel not being centered unless the ORIGINAL was so bad that now with a good steering gear that is properly set as far as preload, play and so on the wheel is now off centered.
You can make them fix that - or set the wheel to center yourself.
There's no alignment to be done on these except checking and setting TOE-IN and centering the steering wheel.
You can't set camber and caster is also set with the control arms. To change caster you have to replace or change the lower control arms and to change camber means massive work - that's set at the factory.

Sgt. Pepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Wander is wander, no direction to a wander. You may mean it leads or pulls to the right.
Wander is having trouble keeping it between the lines.
Pull means it wants to go either left or right.

A pull can be caused by several things including one tire inflation higher than the other, the tire itself causing it, or camber, or the steering gear itself (ODD for the new steering gear to do that)

Steering wheel not centered - some have noted that but there's no reason replacing a steering gear would lead to the wheel not being centered unless the ORIGINAL was so bad that now with a good steering gear that is properly set as far as preload, play and so on the wheel is now off centered.
You can make them fix that - or set the wheel to center yourself.
There's no alignment to be done on these except checking and setting TOE-IN and centering the steering wheel.
You can't set camber and caster is also set with the control arms. To change caster you have to replace or change the lower control arms and to change camber means massive work - that's set at the factory.
pulls/veers is what i meant. thanks for the clarification

Last edited:

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hi Everyone,

Here is a brief update to hopefully help clarify a few things in regards to the TSB that was issued related to the steering gear.

Part orders were initially cancelled to better streamline the parts ordering process. Our dealers are aware of the new ordering process and we advise you to please continue working with your dealer.

We appreciate your patience, as well as your loyalty and passion for the Jeep brand! As always, please feel free to send us a private message if you have any additional questions.

Darlene
Jeep Cares
Sounds good. Worst case: every JL built will need a new steering gear. Cost must be horrendous! Safety is so important.

Sponsored

Samslop

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator Rubicon
Pick up my 2020 gladiator rubicon this morning with new steering gearbox and flash. All I can say is wow. Don’t listen to everyone else the difference is night and day it drives like a real truck. No more pulling and handles unbelievably all I can say is get it done as soon as you can. It’s a great fix.

Samslop

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator Rubicon
Pick up my 2020 gladiator rubicon this morning with new steering gearbox and flash. All I can say is wow. Don’t listen to everyone else the difference is night and day it drives like a real truck. No more pulling and handles unbelievably all I can say is get it done as soon as you can. It’s a great fix.

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
Only 4 months more of waiting (at least)...:headbang::swear::jk:

Sponsored

IrishRob

First Name
robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired
Day 50 waiting for parts from Airpark CJR in Scottsdale. No ETA or information of how many ahead of me in line. No contact from Service Advisor. Initially checked on 4 September by Service Advisor and parts ordered (but then cancelled), forced to return 16 September for a Technician - who just read the TSB I gave him and ordered the parts again. @JeepCares. Anyone know of a Phoenix metro area dealer actually performing the service? Airpark got all "1" on my sales survey, because the scale doesn't go to zero, this is the Service Department's one and only shot with me.
A data point to close this out:

* 9/9 Original visit to ask for TSB service. Service writer was unaware of the TSB but accepted my printed copy (from this Forum) and wrote the order for parts. Her Service Manager at the end of the day however cancelled the order & said a Tech had to verify.
* 9/16 Return to Dealer for Tech's eval. No test drive or inspection, he sat in the truck with me, read the TSB, and ordered the parts. Ten minute event.
* Two calls to Parts Dept over two months: "It's on order but our system is down so I don't have an ETA, will call you back." (Not)
* 11/5 My 50 day post here and appeal to Jeep Customer Service
* 11/9 Jeep Customer Service emails me for vehicle info
* 11/12 Jeep Customer Service opens a case
* 11/13 Jeep calls to say that after a too long and frustrating call with the Dealer, that my part has been in all along and I can schedule service.
* 11/16 I call to schedule service
* 11/18 Drop off the truck
* 11/19 Pick up the truck, TSB service performed.

The dead spot is definitely gone. Will need to make some highway travel to judge other improvement. Service Dept Tech and Jeep Customer Service did their job. Big hang up with Parts and Parts management.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
* 11/12 Jeep Customer Service opens a case
* 11/13 Jeep calls to say that after a too long and frustrating call with the Dealer, that my part has been in all along and I can schedule service.
Right there is a major problem and the source of frustration for most people who post here - the freakin' dealers who won't even TRY to get things right or straight.
Why should Jeep customer service even need to get involved? The fact that they struggled to get a straight answer out of the dealership tells me that some heads need to roll - or someone needs to be put on notice.
That is the sort of thing that loses customers. It's a system - sales team, shop, parts, all of it one big system and when any small part in that system fails to function properly, the whole thing can come crashing down.

This is another case of if you get a survey, fill it out honestly and like I've done, put in yeah, you'd be ok with contact and give your info - Jeep customer service MAY call you and ask you to explain.

J_0ne

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I called today inquiring about my parts which were ordered on Oct. 7, 2020 at the Grapevine Jeep location and according to @JeepCares had an ETA of Nov. 16. I was told "there is no ETA and there is a national hold until December 7. The representative said that if the hold is lifted I might get an ETA then or the hold could be extended even further.

Mike the mechanic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
mechanic
pulls/veers is what i meant. thanks for the clarification
Like Papa said a lot of pulls are caused by tires. If pressures are ok try swapping front tires side to side. If it now pulls the other direction you have found your problem.

Deleted member 31576

Dropped the gladiator off yesterday for the first oil change. As well I inquired about the TSB and a clanking sound when turning the wheel side to side. I also noticed them of four CEL occurrences since purchase. Two the dealer was already aware of. The parts were ordered for the TSB. The oil change was done and a PCM flash was done for the CEL. I’m sure we will get another CEL before the parts come in for the steering TSB. Here’s to crossing our fingers.
Sponsored