Sponsored

New Sport S - Hood Dented or Jeep Thing?

Raven65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I bought a "new" '22 Sport S a few weeks ago (my first Jeep) that had been a manager's vehicle and had about 3k miles on it. I've noticed that the hood appears to be very slightly dented around both of the forward ends of the rubber windshield bumpers/rests on the hood. You don't really notice them looking across the hood from the outside, but they're fairly obvious when looking out over the hood from behind the wheel. My first thought was that maybe the dealership/manager folded the windshield down on it at some point - maybe to show a customer how it works or whatever - and either dropped it on the hood accidentally instead of lowering it carefully and it dented the hood. I looked closely at the bolt heads in the windshield corner plates that you have to remove to fold the windshield down and I don't see any signs that they've been removed, but I suppose if they were removed carefully enough, I wouldn't.

Anyway... is it possible that my hood damaged - or is this just another "Jeep thing" like the slightly wavy sheet metal on the door near the hinges? I'm not gonna get my panties in a wad regardless, but I'm just curious.
Sponsored

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a "new" '22 Sport S a few weeks ago (my first Jeep) that had been a manager's vehicle and had about 3k miles on it. I've noticed that the hood appears to be very slightly dented around both of the forward ends of the rubber windshield bumpers/rests on the hood. You don't really notice them looking across the hood from the outside, but they're fairly obvious when looking out over the hood from behind the wheel. My first thought was that maybe the dealership/manager folded the windshield down on it at some point - maybe to show a customer how it works or whatever - and either dropped it on the hood accidentally instead of lowering it carefully and it dented the hood. I looked closely at the bolt heads in the windshield corner plates that you have to remove to fold the windshield down and I don't see any signs that they've been removed, but I suppose if they were removed carefully enough, I wouldn't.

Anyway... is it possible that my hood damaged - or is this just another "Jeep thing" like the slightly wavy sheet metal on the door near the hinges? I'm not gonna get my panties in a wad regardless, but I'm just curious.
This probably happened do to a lazy tech folding the hood all the way back against the windshield without using any type of cushion. If you just bought it see if the dealer will pay to fix, a good paintless dent repairman can fix that

ShrimpHappens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sport S
This probably happened do to a lazy tech folding the hood all the way back against the windshield without using any type of cushion. If you just bought it see if the dealer will pay to fix, a good paintless dent repairman can fix that
Pretty sure those things don't touch when the hood is all the way folded back.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Raven65

Raven65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you post a pic?

I agree with Commodus, probably the hood was laid back against the windshield a little too rough.
I tried to get a pic of it earlier today to post in my original thread, but I couldn't get one where it would show. It's hard to see it sitting still... you have to move around... and then you see the reflections sort of bending around it. I guess that's what makes it more obvious when you're driving down the road. I suppose I could try to get a video of it... didn't think about that.

That makes sense about folding the hood all the way back against the windshield header... that's much more likely than them folding the windshield down. I bet that's what did it. I don't know if PDR would work for this or not. It's a very gradual dent about 6" in diameter centered over the end of the rubber bumpers. I probably won't have a leg to stand on with the dealership... they'll just claim it wasn't there and I must have done it. Hell, maybe I did! I did open the hood all the way once shortly after I got it home, but I didn't let it slam against the windshield. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask. If they won't do it, I'll get a quote from a PDR guy myself if it bugs me bad enough. It's really not bad at all, but given how much this thing cost me, I wanted it to be perfect..

Thanks!

Charles 236

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Jeep technician
Pretty sure those things don't touch when the hood is all the way folded back.
True, the windshield bumpers are not in contact with the top of the windshield frame when the hood is laid back against it. The slight distortion around the hinges, and around the windshield bumpers, are "Jeep things". The flatter the surface, the more the distortion around hinges and windshield bumpers will show.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
I tried to get a pic of it earlier today to post in my original thread, but I couldn't get one where it would show. It's hard to see it sitting still... you have to move around... and then you see the reflections sort of bending around it. I guess that's what makes it more obvious when you're driving down the road. I suppose I could try to get a video of it... didn't think about that.

That makes sense about folding the hood all the way back against the windshield header... that's much more likely than them folding the windshield down. I bet that's what did it. I don't know if PDR would work for this or not. It's a very gradual dent about 6" in diameter centered over the end of the rubber bumpers. I probably won't have a leg to stand on with the dealership... they'll just claim it wasn't there and I must have done it. Hell, maybe I did! I did open the hood all the way once shortly after I got it home, but I didn't let it slam against the windshield. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask. If they won't do it, I'll get a quote from a PDR guy myself if it bugs me bad enough. It's really not bad at all, but given how much this thing cost me, I wanted it to be perfect..

Thanks!
Sounds like an easy job for a paintless dent removal guy. They do some pretty amazing stuff.

Sponsored

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Yeah, out in front of the bumper things. He's saying he was warping right at the bumpers.
I guess I didn’t think too much about what that meant and it’s kind of vague.

@Raven65, do the dents line up with where the hood rests on the windshield frame?

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Guessing the little windshield tie down points are bolted through. Which is the reason why it looks like they are dented. Anything with a through bolt will do the same on thin sheet metal. Basically kinda oil canned.

OP
OP
Raven65

Raven65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess I didn’t think too much about what that meant and it’s kind of vague.

@Raven65, do the dents line up with where the hood rests on the windshield frame?
No, they’re centered on the ends of the bumpers - probably where that end is bolted to the hood, not above them where the hood would hit the windshield frame (I thought the bumpers hit the windshield frame).

sounds like I’m overthinking it and it’s just a Jeep Thing. Thanks guys!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Hood will lay against the windshield frame. Lay it down hard enough and you’ll crease the hood.
And that's why I keep old blankets in my garage and shop...
I triple a blanket and lay it over the top of the windshield before laying the hood back. (carefully)
Sponsored