Sponsored

Newbie question here... Should my spare be the same expensive wheel and tire as the rest?

1996XJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Cherokee , 2021 JTMojave (punjabi), 22 gobiator
Occupation
Hot Dog proprietor
Ive noticed on some you tube videos (even with extremely nice expensive rigs) and peoples trucks at work, that their spare is a cheaper tire and wheel than the rest of their rig. Do you guys buy 5 wheels and tires when you change up your wheels and tires? Or just run a cheap ass wheel and tire for your spare as long as its the same size as the rest? Sorry for such a dumb question but i never really gave a shit about this kind of stuff before. My instinct was to buy 5 of the same wheel and tire but wasnt sure if im wasting my money.
Sponsored

OP
OP
1996XJ

1996XJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hot Dog proprietor
Most use the stock spare wheel, with a same size tire. I run a 35x10.50 under there to save some space, and will only use the spare to limp home if necessary.
See i was thinking of re gearing my cherokee and putting the Mojave tires with it... not too sure though if i want to put that kind of stress on her she is my old daily work commuter.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
There's 2 or 3 threads on this - many of us have gone the matching wheel and tire bit - then do a 5 tire rotation, go more time between buying tires, if you rip a tire up somewhere, you have a wheel and tire ready to put on and LEAVE on, no limping anywhere.
If I have the same bad luck my wife has had 3 times already (twice with Jeeps) then I will have a tire that's worn the same as the others, so is the exact same size and looks and a matching wheel to stick on and forget about it.
Anyway, there's some hefty threads on this around here - long discussions about what we have done or not done.
I've always been an advocate of 5 matching wheels and tires - especially after my wife's experiences. It's saved our butts a couple of times.

OP
OP
1996XJ

1996XJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hot Dog proprietor
There's 2 or 3 threads on this - many of us have gone the matching wheel and tire bit - then do a 5 tire rotation, go more time between buying tires, if you rip a tire up somewhere, you have a wheel and tire ready to put on and LEAVE on, no limping anywhere.
If I have the same bad luck my wife has had 3 times already (twice with Jeeps) then I will have a tire that's worn the same as the others, so is the exact same size and looks and a matching wheel to stick on and forget about it.
Anyway, there's some hefty threads on this around here - long discussions about what we have done or not done.
I've always been an advocate of 5 matching wheels and tires - especially after my wife's experiences. It's saved our butts a couple of times.
Thanks appreciate the advice, im kind of leaning towards what you are saying about the 5 wheels and tires . A cheap spare might save a few pounds i guess, but i doubt it it will anything i can notice.

Sponsored

DBravo

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2021 Jeep JL Sahara
Ive noticed on some you tube videos (even with extremely nice expensive rigs) and peoples trucks at work, that their spare is a cheaper tire and wheel than the rest of their rig. Do you guys buy 5 wheels and tires when you change up your wheels and tires? Or just run a cheap ass wheel and tire for your spare as long as its the same size as the rest? Sorry for such a dumb question but i never really gave a shit about this kind of stuff before. My instinct was to buy 5 of the same wheel and tire but wasnt sure if im wasting my money.
Just bought my wife a new JL Sahara with SkyView roof. I'm upsizing her tires slightly from stock for a more aggressive look (her request)and am purchasing 5 tires, as the JL spare wheel matches the rest.

Blackjeepjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubi, 2015 2dr Jk hard rock rubi
Thanks appreciate the advice, im kind of leaning towards what you are saying about the 5 wheels and tires . A cheap spare might save a few pounds i guess, but i doubt it it will anything i can notice.
As papa mentioned, with 5 if you rotate it in you will get longer time span between complete replacement.
but an even bigger advantage is if you damage a tire wheel you’re good to keep rolling.
now a days with supply disruptions getting a matching wheel or tire may be possible but could be quite a while to get delivered. Just another way to look at it.

Terminus33

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Cherokee
Occupation
Pool Tech
Reality is the stock will save you if you need it on road for a very short distance if it is a smaller size than your other 4. If you plan on off roading don't get stuck off the beaten path with two different size tires and try to get home and expect your differentials to stay intact. Having two different size tires will wreck havoc on your drive train under the stresses of off road.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I leave the factory spare underneath and just do a four tire rotation. A five tire rotation may provide longer tire life, but I don't think it's worth all the hassle.

I've already bought a set of take-offs from another member. When the time comes, I'll have a new set to put on that only cost $500, and four good spares. I was just going to pack a couple in back, but now that I have a cap with a rack, I may carry them on top.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Just bought my wife a new JL Sahara with SkyView roof. I'm upsizing her tires slightly from stock for a more aggressive look (her request)and am purchasing 5 tires, as the JL spare wheel matches the rest.
I’d say for a JL it has to match. Since it’s hanging on the back tailgate.

Sponsored

zxd9

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave Granite Crystal
Occupation
Software Engineer
I'm in the 5 tire rotation group. More life on the set. Another reason is what if you switch brands after the 4 are worn out? You'll have a spare that doesn't match? Even if you keep the same brand, the spare is going to get old and could fail when you need it most.

I have 5 aftermarket wheels. I gave my wife the Mojave wheels/tires for her JLU and bought a 5th wheel to match the rest.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I'm in the 5 tire rotation group. More life on the set. Another reason is what if you switch brands after the 4 are worn out? You'll have a spare that doesn't match? Even if you keep the same brand, the spare is going to get old and could fail when you need it most.

I have 5 aftermarket wheels. I gave my wife the Mojave wheels/tires for her JLU and bought a 5th wheel to match the rest.
So her JLU doesn’t have 5 matching wheels now?

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
To add;

If I was replacing my wheels I would do all 5.

I did not replace my wheels but did do 5 tires when I upgraded them.

This way I have the correct tire on the spare if needed.

I would like a 5th matching rim then I could do a 5 tire rotation as mentioned; just not seen a Freedom rim available locally.
Sponsored