Sponsored

Nice honest review on EcoDiesel

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
I swore i was going to wait for the diesel. But then i remembered how much time both my other diesels has spent in the shop, due to DEF issues. DEF and -35c dont play nice.
-35 is good justification for an delete kit and a custom tune. After the crackdown last fall I believe the only shops left in North America are in Canada selling that stuff. You can get away with that up there where you don't have the US EPA taking away all the fun.
Sponsored

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
despite the fact it will probably tow better (but not tow more) than the pentastar.
As long as the Ecodiesel towing capacity is the same, or nearly the same as the Pentastar, I will be happy with the diesel. The fuel economy (driving range) is a big factor for me.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
After the crackdown last fall I believe the only shops left in North America are in Canada selling that stuff. You can get away with that up there where you don't have the US EPA taking away all the fun.
Americans can buy the GDE tune, they just have to buy it from Canada. Also, there are still tuners here in the U.S. selling tunes. Here's one of the more popular for the Ram Ecodiesel: https://www.sofakingtuned.com/ecodiesel.html#/

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Americans can buy the GDE tune, they just have to buy it from Canada. Also, there are still tuners here in the U.S. selling tunes. Here's one of the more popular for the Ram Ecodiesel: https://www.sofakingtuned.com/ecodiesel.html#/
I got my re-flash in just before GDE went dark in September. They have stated if they do come back into the US market it will be 'approved' tunes that don't touch the EGR system which negates most of the benefit. SFT will get nailed soon enough for the same thing. You are right, Canada is always an option for us until the EPA gets CBP to intercept all the packages coming from hddieselsupply.ca for inspection. I wouldn't put it past them.

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Hold the phone for a second... GDE shut their doors? They aren't selling ANY tunes, even for older Jeep diesels?

Sponsored

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Unless Jeep changes something on the JT differently than they did on the JL, the payload reduction from the added weight of the diesel will make it pretty unattractive to those who intend to use the JT for its truck purposes. For example a gas Rubicon really has just enough payload (1200lb) to support 7k towing, average size driver and a passenger. If that payload is reduced a few hundred pounds the diesel won't make sense, despite the fact it will probably tow better (but not tow more) than the pentastar. Remember, Jeep has stated all along that the diesel will not out tow the pentastar as far as max weight is concerned due to cooling restrictions. Add to that the poor history of the ecodiesel, price premium of the engine itself and diesel fuel, added service costs etc... it just doesn't make sense to me unless you really want to turn huge tires easier and don't care about the cost or reliability.
I had the same concern and as I mentioned in another thread, Jeep has two options: 1) Decrease payload capacity or 2) Increase GVWR. From what I've seen on JL Wrangler EcoDiesel door jamb placards, it appears that they've gone with option #2.

I'd say the Gladiator EcoDiesel Rubicon (and Max Tow, if they even offer that) will have a GVWR somewhere in the 6,800 to 7,000 lb. ballpark. This will allow them to maintain a somewhat respectable payload figure.

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hold the phone for a second... GDE shut their doors? They aren't selling ANY tunes, even for older Jeep diesels?
They have not shut their doors completely but they cant sell diesel tunes right now (everything shows as 'Sold Out'). Apparently they are working on a way forward which would include approved/tested tunes that can be applied via the OBD port so no more sending them your ECU. The problem is that means no emissions mods that got them in trouble but gave them most of their business. I will give it to them their ECU and trans tune has done wonders for performance but shutting that EGR valve off has saved my engine from all of the issues everyone gripes about with the EcoDiesel EGR system. That being said if they came out with a tune for the Gladiator Diesel I would consider getting it.

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
They have not shut their doors completely but they cant sell diesel tunes right now (everything shows as 'Sold Out'). Apparently they are working on a way forward which would include approved/tested tunes that can be applied via the OBD port so no more sending them your ECU. The problem is that means no emissions mods that got them in trouble but gave them most of their business. I will give it to them their ECU and trans tune has done wonders for performance but shutting that EGR valve off has saved my engine from all of the issues everyone gripes about with the EcoDiesel EGR system. That being said if they came out with a tune for the Gladiator Diesel I would consider getting it.
The tune they sent me for my KJ CRD made it a completely different Jeep. It was night and day.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel

aj8544

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR,2018 Wrangler JLU 2.0, 2018 F150
I had the same concern and as I mentioned in another thread, Jeep has two options: 1) Decrease payload capacity or 2) Increase GVWR. From what I've seen on JL Wrangler EcoDiesel door jamb placards, it appears that they've gone with option #2.

I'd say the Gladiator EcoDiesel Rubicon (and Max Tow, if they even offer that) will have a GVWR somewhere in the 6,800 to 7,000 lb. ballpark. This will allow them to maintain a somewhat respectable payload figure.
Ahh good to know- I was basing my concern on the TFL video with an eco diesel JL that had pretty low payload- 800lbs or so as I remember. They did seem confused about the weights though- maybe the placard was incorrect- I think they ended up weighing it and the spec was off a bit.

Sponsored

max toe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito, 1998 audi
drove my friends new ram laramie eco diesel 2020, no noticeable lag at all,smooth acceleration etc., impressed, 25 mile drive on hwy 101
truly understand why wxman traded his JT in now.
fuel range showing is amazing....

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
drove my friends new ram laramie eco diesel 2020, no noticeable lag at all,smooth acceleration etc., impressed, 25 mile drive on hwy 101
truly understand why wxman traded his JT in now.
fuel range showing is amazing....
Once you get a taste for diesel, it's hard to go back to a gasoline engine. I had my wife drive a Hemi last summer. After about 10 minutes, she said, "I want my EcoDiesel back". LOL

Gray_Bison

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LBZ Duramax, Q5 Quattro 2.0T
Occupation
Maintenance Lead
Once you get a taste for diesel, it's hard to go back to a gasoline engine. I had my wife drive a Hemi last summer. After about 10 minutes, she said, "I want my EcoDiesel back". LOL
That's why I'm holding out. I'm on my 2nd diesel, never looked after my 1st. Everyone wants to jump on the high maintenance cost bandwagon, but it's honestly not that bad. An oil change for my wife's car cost as much as one for my 6.6, and it takes 10qts of oil.

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ahh good to know- I was basing my concern on the TFL video with an eco diesel JL that had pretty low payload- 800lbs or so as I remember. They did seem confused about the weights though- maybe the placard was incorrect- I think they ended up weighing it and the spec was off a bit.
ALL JLs have miserable payload figures. My Sport S with only few options had a payload of 850 lbs. That's why you can't hardly use a Wrangler for ANY work or overlanding legally. And its why the Gladiator exists. I'm sure FCA will only make an EcoDiesel Gladiator if they can maintain a reasonable payload for hauling and towing.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I'm sure FCA will only make an EcoDiesel Gladiator if they can maintain a reasonable payload for hauling and towing.
There is speculation that the Gladiator EcoDiesel will have some frame reinforcements that would allow a higher payload. The narrow front end opening limits engine cooling, so I that might be the limiting factor for towing.
Sponsored