First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 1974 VW
Occupation
Driver
These guys are pretty honest with their reviews.

My “trade” for my Gladiator was a Ram Ecodiesel...I wouldn’t have this piece of junk mounted in ANY vehicle. Go to the ecodiesel forum to glean the number of engine failures, fires, and recalls. Reminds me of an ad for an italian rifle...never fired, dropped once.
Sponsored

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
My “trade” for my Gladiator was a Ram Ecodiesel...I wouldn’t have this piece of junk mounted in ANY vehicle. Go to the ecodiesel forum to glean the number of engine failures, fires, and recalls.
We are all entitled to our opinions, so I'm certainly not going to take that away from you. There were problems with the 2nd gen EcoDiesel, but FCA/Ram has done a good job of stepping up and taking care of those problems via recalls and warranties. There are also many 2nd gen EcoDiesel owners who haven't had problems. And there are EcoDiesel Rams and Jeep Cherokees now with over 200,000 miles on them, and many have experienced minimal to no issues.

Tuning options have vastly improved the reliability and longevity of the engines. You have to remember, stringent emissions is mostly to blame for many modern day engine problems, and that goes for gasoline engines, too. I've been on plenty of forums and have seen premature engine failures with the Pentastar and Hemi, too.

donaldus

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 1974 VW
Occupation
Driver
We are all entitled to our opinions, so I'm certainly not going to take that away from you. There were problems with the 2nd gen EcoDiesel, but FCA/Ram has done a good job of stepping up and taking care of those problems via recalls and warranties. There are also many 2nd gen EcoDiesel owners who haven't had problems. And there are EcoDiesel Rams and Jeep Cherokees now with over 200,000 miles on them, and many have experienced minimal to no issues.

Tuning options have vastly improved the reliability and longevity of the engines. You have to remember, stringent emissions is mostly to blame for many modern day engine problems, and that goes for gasoline engines, too. I've been on plenty of forums and have seen premature engine failures with the Pentastar and Hemi, too.
...no...FCA has NOT ‘stepped up’...mine had the egr recall, took it in...no parts...no estimate on when new parts will be available. The egr problem only causes spontaneous combustion of your vehicle; one member’s ecodiesel went up in flames after two days of inactivity.

one2doo

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT White Rubicon ,2018 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins,2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins, Mahindra Roxor,2018 .
My two cents. I have a Ram 2018 2500 Cummins and a 2005 2500 Dodge Ram Cummins for work and a 2018 Roxor for play. The Cummins tow great and haul heavy loads interstate. The 2018 Ram has time to burn the DPF clean. Owning a 2.8 Colorado for a daily did not work burns oil and only gets 24 mpg. The intake is nasty and the intercooler has to to be full of gunk GM said it is normal. Nothing I have uses oil but the Colorado. Tried the catch can didn’t work. Roxor is great in the woods no DPF filter. The new small diesels are great for distance travel and can clean filter. Cruising through the woods would stop up DPF filter and not under warranty don’t see it. Time will tell . The 3.6 is fine for my needs. I do love the torque of a diesel and towing.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
...no...FCA has NOT ‘stepped up’...mine had the egr recall, took it in...no parts...no estimate on when new parts will be available. The egr problem only causes spontaneous combustion of your vehicle; one member’s ecodiesel went up in flames after two days of inactivity.
It's false to say that FCA has not stepped up. FCA recognized that the EGR could develop hairline fractures due to material fatigue. They issued a recall and said the new part was expected to be available in April. FCA will provide a rental until the new part is available.

Sponsored

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
It's false to say that FCA has not stepped up. FCA recognized that the EGR could develop hairline fractures due to material fatigue. They issued a recall and said the new part was expected to be available in April. FCA will provide a rental until the new part is available.
I think that one of the things that's upsetting owners so badly is that FCA's supply chain was a joke before the pandemic, and since the pandemic it's been non-existant. And with no parts available, vehicles are useless.

Heck, even on the Gen 3 engine there are many guys on the forums who cannot locate oil filters. With no oil filters, you have to park the truck at 9,900 miles or risk the entire powertrain warranty being voided. This is a serious issue.

As far as the rental goes, seems like many dealers are denying this and then the consumer has to get FCA involved on their own to rectify the situation, which again is just a pain.

So, FCA could definitely do a better job. But at the same time, this pandemic isn't helping matters for anyone.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I think that one of the things that's upsetting owners so badly is that FCA's supply chain was a joke before the pandemic, and since the pandemic it's been non-existant.
Due to the seriousness of the EGR failure, Ram issued the recall before they had a new part available. That's the nature of the beast. Then Ram has to rely on the manufacturer who makes the EGR to redesign and mass produce the new part. It's not going to be a quick process, which is why Ram offered to pay for a rental.

As far as the rental goes, seems like many dealers are denying this and then the consumer has to get FCA involved on their own to rectify the situation, which again is just a pain.
For whatever reason, there are helpful dealerships and there are dealerships that lack competence. My dealership has a designated person who works with EcoDiesel owners. The same issues (miscommunication) happened during the settlement process. Some EcoDiesel owners had problems with the settlement process and others, like myself, had no problems. My dealer not only downloaded the new AEM software last May, but they notarized my paperwork and I received my $3,075 dollar check in the mail within two weeks. My dealer gave me a 2019 Ram 2500 Hemi rental while my truck was getting repaired.

Also, I think being an informed owner goes a long way. Those of us who are informed understand the EGR situation better. We knew from the beginning the part was going to be delayed. We knew that a rental would be provided during the waiting phase. We know that the EGR isn't a problem unless it's leaking internally. My EGR isn't leaking, so I keep driving my truck as normal. I'll get the new part when it comes available, but I'm not too worried about it. I'm happy that I'll get a more durable EGR at no cost to me.

CookieSoup

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
i would consider swaping one in later down the road. im still stuck on stick shifts i know modern autos have gotten really good i just can't bring my self to do it. and i don't think they will offer the 3.0 with a stick shift i think they will force you to go Auto.

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My “trade” for my Gladiator was a Ram Ecodiesel...I wouldn’t have this piece of junk mounted in ANY vehicle. Go to the ecodiesel forum to glean the number of engine failures, fires, and recalls. Reminds me of an ad for an italian rifle...never fired, dropped once.
With all due respect, the engine you're referring to is literally 80% different than the engine we're discussing in this thread.

I've been following the GEN 3 version of this engine since late 2019 and I haven't seen one single fire, engine failure, or recall.

What I have seen is people reporting 30 MPG on the highway. And I've also seen mine cruise in 8th gear with an ATV in the bed, an enclosed trailer hooked onto the hitch, and 2,000+ lbs. worth of gear inside the trailer.

Can you imagine this Gen 3 EcoDiesel which is the best pickup powertrain FCA has right now, installed in a Jeep Gladiator which is the reigning 4x4 Of The Year? Wow. That would be like putting peanut butter on jelly.

I'm in LOVE with my 2020 Ram, but I'm counting down the days already until I order a Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel....I think it'll happen.

donaldus

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 1974 VW
Occupation
Driver
With all due respect, the engine you're referring to is literally 80% different than the engine we're discussing in this thread.

I've been following the GEN 3 version of this engine since late 2019 and I haven't seen one single fire, engine failure, or recall.

What I have seen is people reporting 30 MPG on the highway. And I've also seen mine cruise in 8th gear with an ATV in the bed, an enclosed trailer hooked onto the hitch, and 2,000+ lbs. worth of gear inside the trailer.

Can you imagine this Gen 3 EcoDiesel which is the best pickup powertrain FCA has right now, installed in a Jeep Gladiator which is the reigning 4x4 Of The Year? Wow. That would be like putting peanut butter on jelly.

I'm in LOVE with my 2020 Ram, but I'm counting down the days already until I order a Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel....I think it'll happen.
80 of cancer cured means you still have cancer...again, I owned one, got terrible info from FCA, their engineering department could not develop cures. When you are limited to 15 mph in a 70 mph zone, it ruins your taste for any more dates.

Sponsored

Karnaj

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Town & Country, 2002 Camry, 2003 Grand Am, 2021 Deisel JTR.
Occupation
Union Electrician
80 of cancer cured means you still have cancer...again, I owned one, got terrible info from FCA, their engineering department could not develop cures. When you are limited to 15 mph in a 70 mph zone, it ruins your taste for any more dates.
I owned a 65 mustang. Always broke down. Never buy a new one now, my experience has ruined mustang forever.

:headbang:

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Curing 80% of cancer in a patient who already had cancer means they still have cancer.

Curing 80% of what causes cancer to begin with in a patient who's never developed cancer yet means they'll probably never have cancer.

No, you didn't own one. You had a Gen 2 engine. Jeep has never and will never install a Gen 2 engine in a Wrangler or Gladiator.

I understand you had issues in the past with a different vehicle and different engine. But I think it's unfair to assume that automatically means that all future versions will have the same issues.

donaldus

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 1974 VW
Occupation
Driver
Curing 80% of cancer in a patient who already had cancer means they still have cancer.

Curing 80% of what causes cancer to begin with in a patient who's never developed cancer yet means they'll probably never have cancer.

No, you didn't own one. You had a Gen 2 engine. Jeep has never and will never install a Gen 2 engine in a Wrangler or Gladiator.

I understand you had issues in the past with a different vehicle and different engine. But I think it's unfair to assume that automatically means that all future versions will have the same issues.
Go for it...buy one. The same engineers that developed the VM Motori gen 2 are still “on the job”. They can’t develop a part to prevent a gen 2 from spontaneously burning; good luck!

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
It's always interesting when people, who have no desire to buy a Gladiator EcoDiesel, want to come into the EcoDiesel section of the forum and speak against the EcoDiesel. By all means, if you don't like the Ecodiesel option, then spend time in the spark plug section of the forum. I don't go into the Pentastar threads and tell people how crappy their low-torque 3.6L is.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
FWIW - I have 14' WK2 ecoD with almost 118k on it and (knock on wood) no engine problems ever. Currently have aftermarket tune - increased power, get 25mpg mixed, and haven't had a regen in 7k miles. Wish I could PnP this engine into a JT now instead of waiting....
Sponsored