Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR / TJ / CJ5 / MB
Occupation
Elec Eng
Just picked up my rubicon this week.
I notice while running the voltage usually hovers around 13v. My JL is typically around 14v but has the LED package.

the reason I am asking is I tow a teardrop and this may impact the charging rate for its house battery while connected.

just seems low in my experience, truck is brand new
Sponsored

gotswap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I noticed this on mine as well, used to seeing it at or slightly above 14v. Not the case and I think this is normal on the newer cars. My Camaro does it as well

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
It is a demand based smart charging system. Voltage will go up and down as required with the demand placed on it.

I would not worry about a 13V indication as that tells me you maintain a healthy state of charge most times and it is just maintaining.

BigRed97

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
It is a demand based smart charging system. Voltage will go up and down as required with the demand placed on it.

I would not worry about a 13V indication as that tells me you maintain a healthy state of charge most times and it is just maintaining.
Exactly this

OP
OP
Jcsii

Jcsii

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR / TJ / CJ5 / MB
Occupation
Elec Eng
Thanks,
I’ll plug up the trailer and see how it responds.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jcsii

Jcsii

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR / TJ / CJ5 / MB
Occupation
Elec Eng
Think I’ll have to research this a little more, cars have gotten way to complex. I assume there is a BMS somewhere monitoring the batteries SOC that is independent of the other loading (lights auxiliaries , etc). If you put in a dual battery setup or attach a trailer with a house battery wonder if it skews the calculations...

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Think I’ll have to research this a little more, cars have gotten way to complex. I assume there is a BMS somewhere monitoring the batteries SOC that is independent of the other loading (lights auxiliaries , etc). If you put in a dual battery setup or attach a trailer with a house battery wonder if it skews the calculations...
Most of the good aftermarket dual battery setups have their own switch circuitry that basically only charges one battery at a time off the vehicle alternator and then switches over to the secondary battery as need. In Theory, the vehicle only sees the dual battery setup as one normal battery load at a time.

Smart charger systems like the one in the Gladiator have been around at least 10+ years in one form or another. You are not reinventing the wheel with your teardrop trailer. I am sure if you search around on some overland rig towing threads or even other vehicle makes that have a similar setup you will find how people are addressing your concern if it is even one in the first place.

OP
OP
Jcsii

Jcsii

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR / TJ / CJ5 / MB
Occupation
Elec Eng
Went on a JL forum, I guess the only concern seems to be the BMS only monitors the starter battery and not the secondary battery.

I am still surprised that less than 13v at idle is ok. Seems low even for maintaining a battery.

A few people have been stranded when the secondary fails. Going backcountry camping in NM in a couple weeks. That’s why I am a little paranoid.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Went on a JL forum, I guess the only concern seems to be the BMS only monitors the starter battery and not the secondary battery.

I am still surprised that less than 13v at idle is ok. Seems low even for maintaining a battery.

A few people have been stranded when the secondary fails. Going backcountry camping in NM in a couple weeks. That’s why I am a little paranoid.
The voltage is usually only high until the battery is charged, and then drops down. I've seen mine as high as 14.3 and as low as 12.7 while driving, using the Off Road app to monitor it.

Wiretie44

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition Granite Crystal Metallic 2001 4Runner 2015 FLTRXS
I've noticed this as well.. as low as 12.7 at times, that being said it will spike up to 14 when you come off of the throttle.. I think it aids in engine braking.

Sponsored

LaterGator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator
I monitor the battery obscessively. On long road trips, I have had the voltage drop as low as 12.7. And once had 12.5V which the dealer said was OK and gave me a Jeep bulletin that stated normal voltage could be between 12.4 and 14.5 volts. I really dislike the smart charging system.

Also, I parked the JTR for 3 weeks while waiting for parts and the main battery was dead. I have a dual battery system, so just flipped on the backup and started right up. I wouldn't go way off road for a weeks long period without a dual battery system.

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
so long as the meter doesn't drop below 12.5, u will be fine. Normal is 12.7+ as mentioned. You need at min 11.2-11.5 to be able to start ur vehicle. Any less and there just isn't enough juice to turn the starter. Even tho vehicles have a 12v system, most of it operates between 9-14v. Above 12v are typically just spikes (starting voltage) then smooth out to 12v and below.

OP
OP
Jcsii

Jcsii

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR / TJ / CJ5 / MB
Occupation
Elec Eng
I’ll have a house battery in the trailer and a generator to charge it. Won’t be far off the beaten path anyway in Carson NF

OP
OP
Jcsii

Jcsii

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR / TJ / CJ5 / MB
Occupation
Elec Eng