Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon, Tundra, Nissan NV, '21 Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Designer
I'm not informed about trails near WS or Charlotte, but there are tons of Forest Roads and more challenging options a little more west. Such as in the Pisgah Forest region in Caldwell, Burke, and McDowell counties. Gaia GPS or something similar can show you where.
Another option is GWNF in southern VA just up 77. Might be under an hour from you? Gravel forest roads and not technically challenging but might be enough to get your little guy excited about being in the woods in the Gladiator. https://gravelmap.com/#8.95/36.3144/-80.8654
Sponsored

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
Uwharrie is an hour away. Tons of OHV trails in there. Most of which you can run in a stock Jeep.

DiabolicalDianoga

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, Subaru Forester
Occupation
Admin
I'm not informed about trails near WS or Charlotte, but there are tons of Forest Roads and more challenging options a little more west. Such as in the Pisgah Forest region in Caldwell, Burke, and McDowell counties. Gaia GPS or something similar can show you where.
Yeah, I want to go out there. I've been researching the roads since the beginning of the year when we knew we'd be moving here. But that's going to be a multi-day trip.
Uwharrie is an hour away. Tons of OHV trails in there. Most of which you can run in a stock Jeep.
Looking like that's really my best option. I'll have to look at GWNF more too. I didn't realize it was that large. Gonna have to plan an overnight out to Pisgah too.

Advguy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel, '19 Volvo XC40
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Finally picked up my Jeep today! Ordered mid-July. Overland w/ ecodiesel engine. It doesn't have lockers (almost all my riding is on pavement) but i am interested in going to Uwharries (as i live in the Raleigh area). Can my jeep handle the easier stuff over there?

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you're wanting to go to Uwharrie and you've never been, plus your Jeep is stock, I would highly suggest tagging along with a group. There are clubs/groups on Facebook that plan rides all the time, and usually break the ride in to groups based on experience and how modified your rig is.

It's not hard to high center a JT in Uwharrie, even on Wolf Den green trail, to where you'll need someone to yank you off a whoop. To be honest some of the blue trails are easier to drive through. They're only blue due to some rock sections that can be driven around.

And don't go during or after it has rained. You'll have a really bad day. The dirt there turns in to a slick, thick, sticky mess.

Sponsored

bring44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Professor
What's up guys! New to the thread, been a JT owner for a couple weeks now. Came from a 2-dr JL. I live in Holly Springs and try to get out as much as we can. A couple pics of the Uwharrie trip over the weekend.

IMG_0054.JPG

IMG_1977.jpg

IMG_2831.jpg
Gator boyzz crew!

mic.rempel

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator Rubicon
If you're wanting to go to Uwharrie and you've never been, plus your Jeep is stock, I would highly suggest tagging along with a group. There are clubs/groups on Facebook that plan rides all the time, and usually break the ride in to groups based on experience and how modified your rig is.

It's not hard to high center a JT in Uwharrie, even on Wolf Den green trail, to where you'll need someone to yank you off a whoop. To be honest some of the blue trails are easier to drive through. They're only blue due to some rock sections that can be driven around.

And don't go during or after it has rained. You'll have a really bad day. The dirt there turns in to a slick, thick, sticky mess.
I agree with this. I took my Rubicon stock and skidded on about half of the humps on the Falls Dam trail, same experience on Wolf Den. It's nothing that would break your Jeep, but it will come back with scrapes underneath.

You don't need lockers to do most of the trails at Uwharrie, but the long wheelbase of the JT makes clearance a challenge over some of the larger obstacles.

DiabolicalDianoga

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Admin
I agree with this. I took my Rubicon stock and skidded on about half of the humps on the Falls Dam trail, same experience on Wolf Den. It's nothing that would break your Jeep, but it will come back with scrapes underneath.

You don't need lockers to do most of the trails at Uwharrie, but the long wheelbase of the JT makes clearance a challenge over some of the larger obstacles.
Thanks, these are the kind of reports we need.

Rubinator919

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
To add on to Riccochet's comment's, I went wheeling a few weeks ago on some bandit trails near Wake Forest with a buddy of mine. He has a lifted JL with 35's and obviously the shorter wheel base and had no problem. I got high-centered in one spot and scraped my rear hitch a couple of times coming out of kinda steep creek beds. Nothing the Glad can't handle, and my Rubi has skid plates that are meant to do what they did. But if you're wanting to keep your baby pristine, be mindful of where you take her.

This was my first legit wheeling adventure, though... and I must say it was awesome what my Rubicon could do.
Jeep Gladiator North Carolina IMG_2538

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also forgot to mention about Uwharrie. When it's dry, optimal condition DO NOT take your top and/or doors off. Nope. Huge mistake. The service roads that lead to the trail heads are all gravel and filled with talcum powder fine silt. That stuff gets kicked up in to a dust storm on those roads and will absolutely FILL your Jeep in every possible nook and cranny. Then you'll spend the next several months cleaning it all out. Only to continue to find more every time you clean your Jeep for the next several years.

Ask me how I know. :CWL: I did this in 2013 and I can still go slap one of the roll bar covers and see a puff of dust from that trip.

Sponsored

DiabolicalDianoga

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Admin
Went out to Uwharrie just to drive around and check out the forest. The last couple hundred yards on Deep Water Trail leading down to the lake are a little hairier than I anticipated. Didn't have any issues, just didn't anticipate the road basically turning into steps. Watched a Chevy 2500 scrape a lot going down as I was about to leave. Thought he was going to high center trying to park the thing too.
I really wish I had brought camping gear/didn't have commitments tomorrow. Looked like quite a few Wranglers were having fun. Also saw a bunch of 4Runners muddied up. Only saw one JT at the shooting range, black with a soft top.
I really need to get rid of these street tires and get a set of all terrains, I want to run some actual trails there.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Anybody know of any good RV campsites by Uwharrie? Want to try to take the kids out there first weekend in november.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord, Chrysler Pacifica
For those who have been to Uwharrie, any recommendations on lift height for a JT Rubicon? Was looking at a 2.5” lift with 35’s, but not sure if I’ll still be looking at a lot of scrapes with that setup. Appreciate any feedback y’all have.

GobiJT

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
UPS
I'm in Raleigh. Sold my JL for a JT two months ago. Love this thing! Any Gladiators going to Uwharrie before they close the trails?

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I'm in Raleigh. Sold my JL for a JT two months ago. Love this thing! Any Gladiators going to Uwharrie before they close the trails?
I am wanting to try to go next weekend. When do they close down for the year?
Sponsored