First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I am perfectly fine with the cost of the good ones. But since I am still married to the girly girl woman mentioned earlier, who does have a problem with the cost, I am stuck in a holding pattern until I can either sell her on the need for a $45k off road camper or all of the kids are gone and we have the spare cash laying around looking for something to do. I just want to make sure I buy my last off-road camper first. I want to get what I want and only buy it once. Given that, I have to get top of the line equipment so that it is still functional when I do eventually get around to retirement and need it more than a few times a year.

One thing that I do not remember reading in all of the Opus literature is how it performs in the winter season. A very large part of my winter schedule involves chasing the worst weather possible and sitting in a duck blind. I can't think of anything worse than standing in waist deep water all day and getting back to the camper and not being able to take a shower because the plumbing is frozen up.
Sponsored

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
$35k ?? Holy cow, I talked with a salesman today, and for fully loaded, I can get it for $27,700 ... still a lot of coin and still have to figure if it's really worth it and will be used enough. On a good note, the wife is all for it :)
Yeah the offroad one had the add on front vestibule and the shower and the kitchen add on and a few other things. It was a lot. Especially when something like a big rockwood geopro is like 19k.

LTCSlacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon (Billet Silver)
Occupation
Military Officer
I think the cost is justified when you take into account the durability, long term, as well as the rugged nature. This trailer is a lot more capable, and can go a lot of places (especially since it collapses to a low profile) that a Geopro can't. But that's just my opinion. I'm hoping we can save a bit and swing a Conquerer...but we'll see.

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think the cost is justified when you take into account the durability, long term, as well as the rugged nature. This trailer is a lot more capable, and can go a lot of places (especially since it collapses to a low profile) that a Geopro can't. But that's just my opinion. I'm hoping we can save a bit and swing a Conquerer...but we'll see.
I completely agree. Unfortunately I was told the east coast won't make good use of something like this compared to out west. And I just can't justify 2x the cost for offroad ability when I won't even get good use out of it. Oh and there's the ability to lock a geopro with the dog in it. Can't do that with the opus.

OP
OP

TinyTink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S with Max Tow
Well, I ended up getting a new 2020 Grand Design 21BHE (4650 dry and I can tow up to 7650 lbs.). Definitely for glamping instead of off-roading. I got them down to $21,000 and to throw in the hitch and delivery for free, so basically 20 grand before tax. I would have gotten a GeoPro if they had a larger floorplan that worked for the kids. I'm really going to be camping in two very different situations: 1. full hookups with the boyfriend, two 13-years olds and 2 dogs in tow. 2. national forests with just me, my boyfriend and my pups. Hard to find something that is the best of both worlds for that price. The Opus is definitely something I've been looking at, but that will have to wait until the kids leave home or they get tired of hanging with out with boring grown ups. I guess I will be doing my off-roading as day trips for the time being.

Sponsored

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, I ended up getting a new 2020 Grand Design 21BHE (4650 dry and I can tow up to 7650 lbs.). Definitely for glamping instead of off-roading. I got them down to $21,000 and to throw in the hitch and delivery for free, so basically 20 grand before tax. I would have gotten a GeoPro if they had a larger floorplan that worked for the kids. I'm really going to be camping in two very different situations: 1. full hookups with the boyfriend, two 13-years olds and 2 dogs in tow. 2. national forests with just me, my boyfriend and my pups. Hard to find something that is the best of both worlds for that price. The Opus is definitely something I've been looking at, but that will have to wait until the kids leave home or they get tired of hanging with out with boring grown ups. I guess I will be doing my off-roading as day trips for the time being.
Hey not bad. Not bad at all! Im in the same boat so I get it but day trips are still fun! Where are you at btw?

Squidly

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2006 LJ
Well, I just pulled the trigger on a leftover 2019 Opus ... picked up the model with the expandable tubes versus the air inflation, less electronics to break/leak. Take delivery on Friday, now to order the brake controller and install that this week !!

084069_800600.jpg

OP
OP

TinyTink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S with Max Tow
Hey not bad. Not bad at all! Im in the same boat so I get it but day trips are still fun! Where are you at btw?
Southeast Louisiana, just north of New Orleans. I plan to spend a lot of time this summer on the Gulf Coast. I'm still on the hunt for good hiking and off-road spots nearby. Alabama and Arkansas are probably the farthest I can go for a weekend trip.

furrymurray

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator SG Rubicon
@TinyTink Congratulations on your new purchase! You are gonna love camping in that trailer with the kiddos, boyfriend and doggies. I live in Louisiana as well and cannot wait to adventure off in my JT. I live just south of Baton rouge and a little north of New Orleans. Maybe we will run into each other with our Gladiators on an adventure sometime? Be safe out there and enjoy your adventures to the fullest.

Sponsored

Br4hm4

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT OE, 2016 Polaris Slingshot, 2012 Kia Sportage, 2018 Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Linux Engineer

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't need anything that will really go offroad...if I do that I plan to use an RTT...but for the family, I am looking at a Sonic.
https://www.venture-rv.com/products/sonic-travel-trailers/SN211VDB.html
It's surprising how much lighter it is vs the Sonic X.
not bad at all. i like the lighter interior option. Very few seem to have that for some reason. its one reason i went with the geopro. I do like the bigger bunks as well and what looks like a decent bathroom. I see the photo has an oven. i was told not to get one. Are you? Also, whats the price on those?

Br4hm4

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Linux Engineer
not bad at all. i like the lighter interior option. Very few seem to have that for some reason. its one reason i went with the geopro. I do like the bigger bunks as well and what looks like a decent bathroom. I see the photo has an oven. i was told not to get one. Are you? Also, whats the price on those?
I'm still in the shopping phase. I am trying to convince the wife that we need to go with a NoBo...but she is really hung up on the private area for the "master" bed. I have noticed just about all the ones that have dividing walls starts pushing 4500lbs and I am not comfortable towing that weight in the the Rocky Mountain Region.

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm still in the shopping phase. I am trying to convince the wife that we need to go with a NoBo...but she is really hung up on the private area for the "master" bed. I have noticed just about all the ones that have dividing walls starts pushing 4500lbs and I am not comfortable towing that weight in the the Rocky Mountain Region.
Yeah having a manual really restricted the size I could get. The NOBO ones are pretty great except they seem to be lacking in the windows department. Also have you seen the master bedroom ones with the fireplaces?! That's wild!

Br4hm4

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Linux Engineer
Yeah having a manual really restricted the size I could get. The NOBO ones are pretty great except they seem to be lacking in the windows department. Also have you seen the master bedroom ones with the fireplaces?! That's wild!
I'm just glad the wife isn't in to the fireplace option. lol. I am learning that she is just a huge "what if" person. You would think I would have learned all that in the last 6 years of knowing each other lol. But that means she is trying to make sure that our kiddo is able to play in an trailer in the event of inclement weather and all that. Just means her and I are not on the same page on this decision.
Sponsored