Sponsored

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Yeah there's a massive difference between an OE putting a V8 into something in mass production and a local shop doing a ton of R&D and fab work to complete a one-off or extremely low production V8 swap into a vehicle that was never designed for it. Apples to oranges.

FCA would be able to build V8 Jeeps at a SUBSTANTIALLY lower cost than a fab shop in somebody's hometown. This isn't going to be a $90k Wrangler. If it was, they'd sell almost none.
Yup! I really hope they come to their senses and roll out the 5.7, because that would be a reasonable price (mass produced like a Ram 1500). The SRT and Hellcat are too “special” and FCA is mighty proud of them...
Sponsored

MoparToYou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
This is an order on day one acquisition for me. I will be anxiously waiting.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Yup! I really hope they come to their senses and roll out the 5.7, because that would be a reasonable price (mass produced like a Ram 1500). The SRT and Hellcat are too “special” and FCA is mighty proud of them...
Keep in mind the 392 isn't a special engine. It's used in everything from budget coupes and sedans (under $40k) to pickup trucks sold to fleets. It's a standard run of the mill engine just like the 5.7L. It's even the standard engine option in the Ram 2500. That's why I don't think it'll be a massive mark-up in cost like some guys are saying. They could put the 5.7 or 6.4 in a Jeep just as easily. I think they're going 6.4 because they have to. The Bronco is already confirmed with a 2.7L EcoBust V6 that makes huge power with simple bolt-on mods and a tune. I'm talking 500 horsepower with bolt-on parts and a tune. Jeep needs something to fight that, and the 5.7 won't cut it.

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I"m guessing same engine cost as picking the diesel.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Keep in mind the 392 isn't a special engine. It's used in everything from budget coupes and sedans (under $40k) to pickup trucks sold to fleets. It's a standard run of the mill engine just like the 5.7L. It's even the standard engine option in the Ram 2500. That's why I don't think it'll be a massive mark-up in cost like some guys are saying. They could put the 5.7 or 6.4 in a Jeep just as easily. I think they're going 6.4 because they have to. The Bronco is already confirmed with a 2.7L EcoBust V6 that makes huge power with simple bolt-on mods and a tune. I'm talking 500 horsepower with bolt-on parts and a tune. Jeep needs something to fight that, and the 5.7 won't cut it.
In what world is a $40k (starting price) car a budget vehicle? SRT trims aren't anything to scoff at and not even the 1500 is offered with the 6.4L in any common trim.

People think this is easy and from a technical standpoint, it is. What people are ignoring is that the engineers don't make the decisions, the business people do, and things like CAFE rating matter. FCA isn't going to release a mid-size pickup or light SUV with what is basically a 3/4 or 1-ton truck engine and let everyone have it. This is going to be a fully-loaded special edition and given the Launch Edition was $60k, there's no way this won't be that plus a V8 tax.

What FCA needs for the JL/JT platform (and probably the entry 1500 engine) is a proper truck engine instead of a repurposed Pacifica engine. The 2.7L is excellent because it's the workhorse of the F-150 fleet trucks that excels at truck stuff while still giving great MPG as long as you keep it out of boost. FCA's solution of matching performance with bigger and heavier engines is short-lived and not a viable solution as CAFE gets tighter and tighter and becomes a greater cost to the company.

Sponsored

MoparToYou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
And I am so glad that FCA still believes in muscle in the form of a hemi V8. I owned a 6.4 Hemi JK, converted by AEV. It was absolutely wonderful. It was the perfect engine for a Jeep. I will snatch up a factory version of the same thing in a heart beat.

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
I too think a working man's wallet 5.7 as an order line item would be better then what I expect FCA to do.

I bet when this comes out it will be high end model only, (Read-Much higher than the Rubicon). Give me an affordable option v-8 and I am all in. Produce some bragging rights low volume model and I will watch from the sidelines with my 3.6 till the aftermarket conversions parts and install rates come down (I if they will).

Cadpat7

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR Hard Rock 2016
Occupation
CDN ARMY
For like $95,000 to buy one, maybe more, seems like you could come out better or cheaper dropping a Hellcat in a JT aftermarket. I had a local shop tell me they could probably do it for around $25000-$30000, I would still be under $70,000 total for mine. I'm saving for it, when mine gets out of warranty which will probably be within 3 years based on me having 15,000 miles on mine in 9 months, I'll be seriously considering it.

Good luck to find an Hellcat engine once you get there ! :fingerscrossed:

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Good luck to find an Hellcat engine once you get there ! :fingerscrossed:
I don't really have a desire to get a Hellcat engine, the SRT hemi engine would be just fine for me or even a 5.7 hemi. Rubitux is a hour and half drive from me and they are pretty known for doing hemi swaps.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
I don't really have a desire to get a Hellcat engine, the SRT hemi engine would be just fine for me or even a 5.7 hemi. Rubitux is a hour and half drive from me and they are pretty known for doing hemi swaps.
No way a shop could/would do a Hellcat or SRT Hemi for $25k unless the engine was not included (a Hellcat crate engine is $20k, 392 SRT is $10k). Rubitrux charges $58k and $35k respectively for the swap.

A 5.7 swap is $24k, but that’s not what you said originally.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
In what world is a $40k (starting price) car a budget vehicle? SRT trims aren't anything to scoff at and not even the 1500 is offered with the 6.4L in any common trim.

People think this is easy and from a technical standpoint, it is. What people are ignoring is that the engineers don't make the decisions, the business people do, and things like CAFE rating matter. FCA isn't going to release a mid-size pickup or light SUV with what is basically a 3/4 or 1-ton truck engine and let everyone have it. This is going to be a fully-loaded special edition and given the Launch Edition was $60k, there's no way this won't be that plus a V8 tax.

What FCA needs for the JL/JT platform (and probably the entry 1500 engine) is a proper truck engine instead of a repurposed Pacifica engine. The 2.7L is excellent because it's the workhorse of the F-150 fleet trucks that excels at truck stuff while still giving great MPG as long as you keep it out of boost. FCA's solution of matching performance with bigger and heavier engines is short-lived and not a viable solution as CAFE gets tighter and tighter and becomes a greater cost to the company.
Apparently it's been a long time since you purchased a new vehicle. Even the Ford Mustang which was always the perennial cheap muscle car is easily a $50,000 car now with V8 power. The fact that Dodge is selling Challengers and Chargers in the high $30k range with the 392 Hemi makes them the obvious budget choice and it's one of the reasons that they have the number one position in sales.

Fact is the 6.4 Hemi has been around for many many years and there's nothing special about it. Tuesday Jeep is going to reveal the JL 392 and I guarantee pricing will be surprisingly low.

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Considering that torque is similar to the 4XE where it is also instant and that you get probably 100 miles or more range per tank of gas where would the 392 make sense from a purely technical and on the trail performance question? Maybe for desert running which seems odd for a wrangler but I cannot see the 392 be superior to the 4XE when rock crawling, crossing high altitude passes or just being out and about (range). That being said I still want to put one into my gladiator...

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
No way a shop could/would do a Hellcat or SRT Hemi for $25k unless the engine was not included (a Hellcat crate engine is $20k, 392 SRT is $10k). Rubitrux charges $58k and $35k respectively for the swap.

A 5.7 swap is $24k, but that’s not what you said originally.
My buddy said the SRT engine would cost me around $9500, and then another $4000-$5,000 for all the stuff required for the swap, and around $8,000 for him to do the work. That was him keeping me under $30,000 on it which would put me right at $25,000 for him to do the job. He pulled it up and found the engine online from a place he uses for $9500, that's a Crate Hemi 6.4 liter with 485hp and 470fpt. Not sure where he was getting it but that was my quote on it.

In the original post I said Hellcat but I was meaning a SRT.

Also Rubitrux charges right at $15,000 labor to the job.

Last edited:

Twilightwheelin

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTrubi JL , JK , WJ
Apparently it's been a long time since you purchased a new vehicle. Even the Ford Mustang which was always the perennial cheap muscle car is easily a $50,000 car now with V8 power. The fact that Dodge is selling Challengers and Chargers in the high $30k range with the 392 Hemi makes them the obvious budget choice and it's one of the reasons that they have the number one position in sales.

Fact is the 6.4 Hemi has been around for many many years and there's nothing special about it. Tuesday Jeep is going to reveal the JL 392 and I guarantee pricing will be surprisingly low.
Im gonna screenshot this

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
My buddy said the SRT engine would cost me around $9500, and then another $4000-$5,000 for all the stuff required for the swap, and around $8,000 for him to do the work. That was him keeping me under $30,000 on it which would put me right at $25,000 for him to do the job. He pulled it up and found the engine online from a place he uses for $9500, that's a Crate Hemi 6.4 liter with 485hp and 470fpt. Not sure where he was getting it but that was my quote on it.

In the original post I said Hellcat but I was meaning a SRT.

Also Rubitrux charges right at $15,000 labor to the job.
Mopar retails the 392 for just shy of $10k, so your buddy's price makes sense; nice of him to pass on the savings, but I'd expect the same from a buddy. ;) $4-5k for "all the stuff required for the swap" is a bargain...most kits are $10k+ for the JL/JT when reusing the factory 8-speed.

Not arguing with you, just pointing out most of us don't have buddy pricing.
Sponsored