Sponsored

Twilightwheelin

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTrubi JL , JK , WJ
Considering that torque is similar to the 4XE where it is also instant and that you get probably 100 miles or more range per tank of gas where would the 392 make sense from a purely technical and on the trail performance question? Maybe for desert running which seems odd for a wrangler but I cannot see the 392 be superior to the 4XE when rock crawling, crossing high altitude passes or just being out and about (range). That being said I still want to put one into my gladiator...
Because a gas pump is a lot easier to find and a pushrod v8 is technology that is proven for over 80 years.
Sponsored

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Because a gas pump is a lot easier to find and a pushrod v8 is technology that is proven for over 80 years.
I don't think you understand how the 4XE hybrid works.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I don't think you understand how the 4XE hybrid works.
I don’t think you understand how poorly a hybrid will perform towing or carrying a payload.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
I don’t think you understand how poorly a hybrid will perform towing or carrying a payload.
*sigh*...and I don’t think you understand how two different jobs need two different tools.

If you want one tool to do it all, then you sacrifice some of the benefits of using the right tool.

For towing, you can’t beat a diesel...if only the JT/JL had sufficient cooling and a larger tank. The right tool for towing or payload sure as hell ain’t a JT, but it is a lot more fun than a full sized truck.

For trails, a 4XE would be awesome to extend range. But a 2.0L turbo 4-banger (which I believe is backing up the electric motors) would indeed suck for towing.

A V8 can’t be beat for the sound and pure driving emotion, but range would suck; take a look at the mpg someone with a swapped JT like @Factoid is getting. But he didn’t do it for fuel economy. He did it for the grins.

As Mick Jagger says: “you can’t always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need.” :like:

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Im gonna screenshot this
I had the exact same thought. People are running technical numbers around here and ignoring other factors that go into a business decision. Either this comes as a special edition in the $75k range or it's cheaper and FCA plays their hand as to just how desperate they are to try and stop the Bronco.

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Mopar retails the 392 for just shy of $10k, so your buddy's price makes sense; nice of him to pass on the savings, but I'd expect the same from a buddy. ;) $4-5k for "all the stuff required for the swap" is a bargain...most kits are $10k+ for the JL/JT when reusing the factory 8-speed.

Not arguing with you, just pointing out most of us don't have buddy pricing.
Wife said nothing happens until it is out of warranty, so anything like that I do will be down the road but if I am serious about keeping it then it's probably something that's going to happen.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I had the exact same thought. People are running technical numbers around here and ignoring other factors that go into a business decision. Either this comes as a special edition in the $75k range or it's cheaper and FCA plays their hand as to just how desperate they are to try and stop the Bronco.
I believe special edition, limited number made if it happens at all. I also think it will go for higher than $75,000, but I could be wrong.

Harold0819

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Gladiator Rubicon, 2008 Jeep JKU, 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk Hemi
All I'll say is I'll trade my Gladiator in in a heartbeat if this becomes a reality in the Gladiator. As for price point. They offer V-8 options in so many other platforms and it is affordable. While the SRT option is cool I can't see Jeep sticking with just that. I'd imagine that if the SRT carries a really premium price tag they will offer a simple 5.7 option or something in that realm with a reasonable price tag. And I'm good with that.

Sponsored

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
can't wait to see the official specs!!!!
Hemi is the spec! In a Wrangler... My wife gets this as her daily driver since she believes the JT to be mine. I'm okay with this...…..for now. Perhaps when we actually get to see one I will change my mind?!?!?

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Hemi is the spec! In a Wrangler... My wife gets this as her daily driver since she believes the JT to be mine. I'm okay with this...…..for now. Perhaps when we actually get to see one I will change my mind?!?!?
I had the same thought. Trade my wife's GLS450 for the 392 wrangler but then no one wants to drive the JT anymore soooooo just put it into the JT already before I throw down 35K for the conversion.

Fawkes

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Building engineer
You know I just cant see them being 90k. perhaps I am wrong but im not sure they would sell as many as they want to. I imagine 65k-75k. Hopefully

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Confirmed reveal for the Wrangler tomorrow.

One poster claims he just got info; $9500 option for Rubicon and Mojave 4 doors.