Sponsored

Oil leak - rear main seal it seems

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Was cleaning the jeep up tonight and noticed a brown spot on the driveway that looked like oil. Thought it seemed unlikely given it's only 6k miles but when I got under it seems I have a fairly serious leak that appears to be from the rear main seal. Gonna take it in to the dealer tomorrow, hopefully won't give me a hard time.

In the pictures I had already cleaned it up, tossed a piece of cardboard under it to catch anything else it seems to be at least a few drops an hour.

Jeep Gladiator Oil leak - rear main seal it seems PXL_20210919_235734620

Jeep Gladiator Oil leak - rear main seal it seems PXL_20210919_235729148
Sponsored

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Guaranteed rear main. Mine been leaking too since about the same mileage, at 11.5k now. I put a rear main seal oil additive last oil change and it's been dry. Not the best solution, but it works. Just need to clean up a lil more before dealer looks at it and tries denying warranty...

OP
OP
bleda2002

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Guaranteed rear main. Mine been leaking too since about the same mileage, at 11.5k now. I put a rear main seal oil additive last oil change and it's been dry. Not the best solution, but it works. Just need to clean up a lil more before dealer looks at it and tries denying warranty...
Yeah I'm fully prepared for a fight. Hopefully I'm wrong and they will be pleasant but with all the horror stories of people getting their entire warranties cancelled because it looks dirty I'm almost tempted to just take it to an independent shop and pony up the 800-1200 this costs.

I'd let this go longer but it's actually fairly significant so a little worried it will turn from significant to catastrophic if I take too long.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Was cleaning the jeep up tonight and noticed a brown spot on the driveway that looked like oil. Thought it seemed unlikely given it's only 6k miles but when I got under it seems I have a fairly serious leak that appears to be from the rear main seal. Gonna take it in to the dealer tomorrow, hopefully won't give me a hard time.

In the pictures I had already cleaned it up, tossed a piece of cardboard under it to catch anything else it seems to be at least a few drops an hour.

Hi bleda2002,
We're sorry to hear you're experiencing this. If you'd like to send us a private message, we'd be happy to collect more information in order to determine how to best assist.

Sarah
Jeep Cares

OP
OP
bleda2002

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Hi bleda2002,
We're sorry to hear you're experiencing this. If you'd like to send us a private message, we'd be happy to collect more information in order to determine how to best assist.

Sarah
Jeep Cares
Thanks Sarah, I dropped it off at the dealer waiting to hear back from them. I'll engage with you after I hear back if needed. Service writer didn't anticipate any issues though.

Sponsored

Benbean66

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Honda CB350, '88 RHD YJ, '88 YJ, 2020 JT Spor
Occupation
Railroad Equipment Operator
Vehicle Showcase
I have the exact same leak. Dealer looked at it, ordered new seals, and I'm just waiting till my schedule slows down a bit to take it in. I'm super reluctant because I don't want some kid "learning" how to do this repair on my Jeep. I don't think it's a super common issue, but they seemed confident there wouldn't be any lingering issues.

OP
OP
bleda2002

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
I have the exact same leak. Dealer looked at it, ordered new seals, and I'm just waiting till my schedule slows down a bit to take it in. I'm super reluctant because I don't want some kid "learning" how to do this repair on my Jeep. I don't think it's a super common issue, but they seemed confident there wouldn't be any lingering issues.
Based on the service manual I saw it's actually a relatively easy repair for a real shop just time consuming since you have to separate the tranny

OP
OP
bleda2002

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Well I can definitely recommend Jerry Ulm in Tampa. Jeep was ready to go this morning with no hassles. This ended up being taken care of easier than an oil change and after driving my rental Ram Classic, it's nice to be back in the gladiator haha.

jpconsing

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
RN
Well I can definitely recommend Jerry Ulm in Tampa. Jeep was ready to go this morning with no hassles. This ended up being taken care of easier than an oil change and after driving my rental Ram Classic, it's nice to be back in the gladiator haha.
Do you know who your service advisor was? I’m local and just got this problem as of yesterday lol. Just wondering how clean I gotta clean my undercarriage lol

FLGladiator

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seadoo
Same thing, currently in a chevy equinox rental. Took it in for an oil change and asked them to check for rear axle leak and engine leak. They found main seal and power steering leaks 7100 miles. While waiting, I got a call from sales across the way asking to buy out my Gladiator at several thousand more than I paid also asked if I was interested to trade. lol I refused.

They told me 3 days.

Sponsored

Benbean66

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Honda CB350, '88 RHD YJ, '88 YJ, 2020 JT Spor
Occupation
Railroad Equipment Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is at the dealer right now for rear main seal replacement. Oh, and the infamous broken sun visor.

jerethemiah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
My 2020 with 20,700mi ( bought with 18k mi ) just started leaking too... I've got a service appointment scheduled. @bleda2002 How has yours been after the warranty fix? Any concerns of it happening again?

OP
OP
bleda2002

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
My 2020 with 20,700mi ( bought with 18k mi ) just started leaking too... I've got a service appointment scheduled. @bleda2002 How has yours been after the warranty fix? Any concerns of it happening again?
Im fairly sure I actually have a tiny leak as I will find just a faint trace of oil on the transmission plugs, but it can't be more than the tiniest of drops as it doesn't even coat the caps.

I'll probably mention it before the 36k warranty ends but for now it's not worth the hassle.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Hi there. If you need support at any upcoming appointments for this, feel free to let us know.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Mcherry80

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
Mine is in shop at the moment for the 4th time of the RMS. Has 23000 miles. Called Stellantis to do lemon and they said there is a recall for RMS now. How convenient. Have to have repaired again for them to process under recall. If leaks again Stellantis will process a lemon buy back hopefully
Sponsored