Sponsored

One inch spacer lift will void my warranty?

Punknhead

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
My local dealer where I bought my truck just told me that adding a small spacer lift (for leveling on my Max Tow) will void my suspension warranty. Is this true? Does anyone have Jeep's official answer on this topic? Of course they said having them install the Mopar lift would be fine.
Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
My dealer took care of a suspension problem on my JKUR even though I had a Rubicon Express 3.5 lift on it, that was not dealer installed. The only warranties that are void due to mods are something that is directly causing the problem. If you put 40" tires on 20" wheels on it and snap an axle, warranty won't cover that axle, you caused the problem.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
My local dealer where I bought my truck just told me that adding a small spacer lift (for leveling on my Max Tow) will void my suspension warranty. Is this true? Does anyone have Jeep's official answer on this topic? Of course they said having them install the Mopar lift would be fine.
Tell them that they're lying and completely full of shit. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 prevents them from making that judgment call of voiding your ENTIRE suspension warranty. Technically NOTHING was removed or replace from your vehicle, all of the OEM equipment is still under there, so they can't void anything. :like:

Adding a spacer will NOT void ANY warranties. Talk to FCA and when you call them ask them if keeping your factory suspension, but adding a very small 1" spacer to the front will void your warranty. If they say "no", then you make them start you a reference file. And have them email you the reference file number. And if you take your vehicle to your dealer for something in the future, and they try to give you shit about it, tell them to take it up with Chrysler, and have them write down your info and your reference file number. That should solve ANY problems with that dealer with future warranty work. :like:

This is what I did when I bought my 2007 6.7 Cummins when they were brand new! Nobody had modded them yet, and the dealer tried to give me shit about my lift and stuff. They didn't know I had already setup a reference file with Chrysler and ALL of my mods were known to them, and were covered to prevent the dealerships from avoiding working on my truck, or blackballing my truck in the FCA system, preventing other dealerships from working on my truck and making false claims that my truck's warranty was void. This was a HUGE problem going on back then. Some dealerships are still acting like it's 2008. It's not. This has been addressed for years, and you should stand up to that dealer trying to bully you.

z0lt3c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Build Thread
Link
I asked a few different FCA dealers this question when searching for my JT. I suspect saying "warranty is void" is a bit of a simplification. I agree with @SwampNut in what I was told was that if your aftermarket part causes the failure, the failure would not be covered. I was given two examples:

#1 You install a spacer lift and blow out your factory shock because perhaps you didn't install a shock extension bracket. In this case your warranty would not cover the shock repair.

#2 You install 40" tires that weight 80lbs more then the OEM wheels and that creates an engine failure. In this case your warranty may not replace your engine.

Keep in mind FCA wants to sell you their overpriced lift kit at $1200 so I very much doubt you will get them on record permitting a 3rd party solution.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Punknhead

Punknhead

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I truly appreciate the feedback. I totally understand the concept of something I install breaking something—that is my fault and warranty should not cover that piece that breaks—but saying my entire suspension warranty is void does not make a lot of sense. I also like the idea of talking with FCA and getting their answer on record.
My plan is to install all 4 shocks and the front springs from a Rubicon takeoff suspension I just bought. I don’t want to lose the stiffer back springs on my Max Tow. I read that I will pick up around 3/4 to 1 inch with the Rubicon front springs—plus either the 1/2 inch or 1 inch piece of the Teraflex spacer lift to get me leveled out (and maybe give me room for 35’s later). Can you think of any possible issues with that? Surely adding the Rubicon parts will not cause warranty issues?!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I truly appreciate the feedback. I totally understand the concept of something I install breaking something—that is my fault and warranty should not cover that piece that breaks—but saying my entire suspension warranty is void does not make a lot of sense. I also like the idea of talking with FCA and getting their answer on record.
My plan is to install all 4 shocks and the front springs from a Rubicon takeoff suspension I just bought. I don’t want to lose the stiffer back springs on my Max Tow. I read that I will pick up around 3/4 to 1 inch with the Rubicon front springs—plus either the 1/2 inch or 1 inch piece of the Teraflex spacer lift to get me leveled out (and maybe give me room for 35’s later). Can you think of any possible issues with that? Surely adding the Rubicon parts will not cause warranty issues?!
I would think you'd be ok. For God's sakes its a damn Jeep... Do they honestly expect people to drive them around stock? Have you ever seen a bone-stock Jeep get driven that way its entire life, other than by someone who doesn't use the Jeep for anything but on-road travel? I know I haven't.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Tell them that they're lying and completely full of shit. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 prevents them from making that judgment call of voiding your ENTIRE suspension warranty. Technically NOTHING was removed or replace from your vehicle, all of the OEM equipment is still under there, so they can't void anything. :like:

Magnuson Moss Warranty Act has no enforcement provisions at the individual level. You have to sue in Federal Civil Court on your dime to enforce it. The Federal Trade Commission that oversees the MMWA, is only going to act if a corporate level malfeasance is shown and not some one off here or there local dealer being a ass.

While everything you said is correct, in practice, the MMWA is not the White Knight many think it is.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Magnuson Moss Warranty Act has no enforcement provisions at the individual level. You have to sue in Federal Civil Court on your dime to enforce it. The Federal Trade Commission that oversees the MMWA, is only going to act if a corporate level malfeasance is shown and not some one off here or there local dealer being a ass.

While everything you said is correct, in practice, the MMWA is not the White Knight many think it is.
You tell your dealer you know about the MMWA by name, and they'll typically jump in lock-step and stop being an ass to you and will stop trying to void your entire warranty, because at that point, they know you've done some research. Some dealerships are just scam artists who want to sell you something, make their money, and hope they never have to deal with you again...So they'll say things like that, to avoid working on your vehicle. Sad, but true.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
You tell your dealer you know about the MMWA by name, and they'll typically jump in lock-step and stop being an ass to you and will stop trying to void your entire warranty, because at that point, they know you've done some research. Some dealerships are just scam artists who want to sell you something, make their money, and hope they never have to deal with you again...So they'll say things like that, to avoid working on your vehicle. Sad, but true.
Maybe, maybe not. I have seen dealers just as quick shut things down the second a customer starts getting lippy and trying to make it into a legal matter right or wrong.

The dealerships know that there is not a team of FTC lawyers coming into swoop down on them when some customer starts spouting off their rights of the MMWA.

Most people have better luck getting their state level consumer protection agencies involved for resolution of such matters before having to entertain suing in Federal Civil Court to get judgement enforcing the MMWA.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Punknhead

Punknhead

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s what I’m afraid of—them looking for a reason not to honor the warranty. I also got a lifetime power train warranty included when I bought it—but if they can simply void it if I don’t play their game then it’s not worth the paper it’s written on. I’ve never bought a new vehicle before this one—but this the truck I’ve always dreamed of (and sometimes still can’t believe I own!)—I see myself driving this thing 20 years from now. I’m afraid I may need that warranty at some point so I’d hate to lose it.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
That’s what I’m afraid of—them looking for a reason not to honor the warranty. I also got a lifetime power train warranty included when I bought it—but if they can simply void it if I don’t play their game then it’s not worth the paper it’s written on. I’ve never bought a new vehicle before this one—but this the truck I’ve always dreamed of (and sometimes still can’t believe I own!)—I see myself driving this thing 20 years from now. I’m afraid I may need that warranty at some point so I’d hate to lose it.
Look at the fine print of that "lifetime Warranty" your dealer gave you. I bet it has a clause that you are to have all scheduled services done by them to honor it. It is usually a money maker for them with many times having a way of getting out of honoring their lifetime dealer warranty by finding the tiniest slip.

That being said, it is my experience that dealerships that play these stupid games are the rare exception rather than the norm. Best bet is to find a dealership that is mod friendly and they are usually the ones that are selling lifted vehicles with aftermarket lifts that they install.

While you bought it from one dealer, you are not tied to bring it to them for warranty and can choose another Jeep dealer for that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Punknhead

Punknhead

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good advice. Thanks for all the help.

Moe_Fugga

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Did they follow that up with “However, if you let us install a Mopar lift you can keep your warranty. It’s only $2000 OTD. We have wheels and tires for you to upgrade as well. Just a simple $3500 more. No need to worry about warranty.:giggle:”

Stealerships have earned their reputation through nonsense like this.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Look at the fine print of that "lifetime Warranty" your dealer gave you. I bet it has a clause that you are to have all scheduled services done by them to honor it.
If it's an FCA warranty, no, you just have to document that you did the services. And under federal law, there are strict limitations on "you have to have us do it."

My dealer's only tie-in deal is that if you have all services done there on schedule, you get your first set of tires free. Which is pretty decent since the first two years of services are covered by the Wave program (assuming normal mileage).
Sponsored