Operation Genesis was a huge success

SubiRubi

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I did this same setup in mine.. I noticed the factory battery is also an AGM.. Did you repurpose your old starting battery for extra juice? Was thinking about using it under the bed and having it as a third auxiliary battery.. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
There's room behind the right rear wheel to mount a battery box to the frame. Warn has cable sets that can be used to make the connection. If you install a Genesis kit, you could parallel it with the second battery.

OP
OP
WetWilly

WetWilly

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Retired bum
I did this same setup in mine.. I noticed the factory battery is also an AGM.. Did you repurpose your old starting battery for extra juice? Was thinking about using it under the bed and having it as a third auxiliary battery.. Thoughts?
No, I listed mine on market place.

madduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator JT, '77 SJ: Cherokee Chief, '06 LJ
Occupation
High Speed Al tubing manager
What do y'all think about this?

My battery is dead as of yesterday so i need to get something going tomorrow. I plan on doing the Genesis upgrade but not until it cools off a bit where i am, next to the sun, in AZ. I would like to get a battery tomorrow so i can get my Jeep back up and running. I looked at the Genesis site to see what batteries they sell. Is there something that i can get from a NAPA, Autozone, etc., local shop that would be a good fit for the Genesis sys come this fall?

Can i not replace the motorcycle battery knowing that in a few months i'll replace it with a better battery? I keep the Start/Stop feature off anyway.

Very nice work Willy, wish i was closer to come look at your setup in person.

Thanks all.
Cheers

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
What do y'all think about this?

My battery is dead as of yesterday so i need to get something going tomorrow. I plan on doing the Genesis upgrade but not until it cools off a bit where i am, next to the sun, in AZ. I would like to get a battery tomorrow so i can get my Jeep back up and running. I looked at the Genesis site to see what batteries they sell. Is there something that i can get from a NAPA, Autozone, etc., local shop that would be a good fit for the Genesis sys come this fall?

Can i not replace the motorcycle battery knowing that in a few months i'll replace it with a better battery? I keep the Start/Stop feature off anyway.

Very nice work Willy, wish i was closer to come look at your setup in person.

Thanks all.
Cheers
NAPA sells some of the best, highly rated, made in USA batteries.
If I lose a battery, I'll go through NAPA to get a replacement.

I saw "you are paying for the engineering" - what engineering? There really isn't a lot of engineering going into this replacement setup - it's not new, not rocket science. IMO, the tray is outrageously expensive for a battery tray. This sort of thing has been in other vehicles for decades.
But selling a specialty system, they can get a lot more money for it. If it was for some of the other vehicles out there, they'd have to cut their price -a lot.

Sponsored

madduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks so much SP.
Then I may go ahead and replace both at this time so I can do some more research.
Thank you for your input, I'll be more critical of the setup till this fall.

Is replacing both batts at this time a necessity in your opinion? Not just the main?

Thank you again

madduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Looking up NAPA batteries at my closest stores, it looks like they have 2 full size batteries in stock but the motorcycle battery is Out of Stock!

For $100 i'd just as soon go ahead and replace it while i have this thing apart.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The ESS battery can be accessed through the fender well, so it is not necessary to change it at the same time as the main battery. Pulling the fuse box to get to the ESS battery is the method shown in the Genesis install video, but is not the recommended method. You have to be very careful to make sure the connections under the fuse box don't get damaged.

It is recommended to change both batteries together, but it also depends on what caused the battery failure. On my mom's 3 year old Compass, it sat for months with a dead battery. The ESS battery would take and hold a charge, but the main battery would not. The ESS battery should be changed, but for now it is working fine with just a new main battery. The batteries on a Compass are much easier to get to and change.

Imbuere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
You're also paying for the engineering that went into getting the setup exactly right.
Except maybe not. There are some serious issues with this setup that should be understood if you’re considering it.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Except maybe not. There are some serious issues with this setup that should be understood if you’re considering it.
If you're going to make such a statement, you should at least describe the issues, so people can make an informed decision.

Sponsored

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
Looking up NAPA batteries at my closest stores, it looks like they have 2 full size batteries in stock but the motorcycle battery is Out of Stock!

For $100 i'd just as soon go ahead and replace it while i have this thing apart.
If you have a bad aux battery and can't locate a replacement, you can leave it's ground cable disconnected and run without it, you'll just have the ESS error light on. If you unplug fuse f42, the error light won't turn on.

Killroy Was Here

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Soak it in. There are a number of ways to roast this turkey!

Jeep Gladiator Operation Genesis was a huge success ess bypass.PNG
So if you did this jumper wire trick to bypass a bad aux. battery, would it be best to disconnect the ground for the aux. at the current sensor?

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
So if you did this jumper wire trick to bypass a bad aux. battery, would it be best to disconnect the ground for the aux. at the current sensor?
If you have a bad aux battery, you can leave it's ground cable disconnected and run without it, you'll just have the ESS error light on. Using the jumper will prevent the error light from turning on, the same as unplugging fuse f42.

Killroy Was Here

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
If you have a bad aux battery, you can leave it's ground cable disconnected and run without it, you'll just have the ESS error light on. Using the jumper will prevent the error light from turning on, the same as unplugging fuse f42.
OK, Thanks.
Am fabricating some flexible 8 ga. silicone insulated jumper wires to add to my NOCO GB40 Boost+ jump box kit to have all my bases covered "just in case".

Jeep Gladiator Operation Genesis was a huge success DSCN4123E
Sponsored