First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
I have it in mine and think it is great. There are other ways to isolate an auxiliary battery, but this is the easy and quick all in one package way.
Sponsored

Deleted member 28696

After having to replace my Aux Start / Stop battery once a couple of months ago & now it's dead again. I ended up ordering the Genesis Dual Battery system today. My noco battery jump starts the JTR but when you remove it the engine stops and will not keep running. I assume my Start Stop Battery is ruined once again. My JTR hasn't moved in a couple of weeks, but I did start it a few days ago and got it up to 3,000 RPM for a bit. I went out and tried a couple of days ago and nothing dead as a doornail. Had to open my Jeep with the key. I have a KC Gravity light bar with the SPOD BANTAM-X it does have a 2 amp fuse but I wouldn't think it would draw down the AUX battery so far that it ruins it where it won't take a jump or hold the charge. I hope this Genesis system works as advertised and I won't have this issue again. I also purchased two Fullriver Full Throttle Series Group 25 Batteries that work with this system. Haven't heard of these batteries before I hope they are good. I could have had it repaired again under warranty, but it will just happen again if it sits for too long, and they would blame after-market accessories, which they may not be wrong. It's just kind of bad that you have to keep pouring money into an expensive vehicle where it's systems should be more robust and handle some aftermarket accessories etc. I still love the Jeep Gladiator, but it is kind of frustrating. Install of the Genesis dual battery system is now complete it wasn't easy but it's doable following the YouTube tutorial by Genesis Offroad. All is working as it should including my RSI power Steps and my SPOD connected to the accessory battery. It does crowd the Oil Dip Stick, but you can bend it out of the way slightly to keep it accessible. I'm hoping this does the trick & my battery woes are now a thing of the past. I did not get the G-Screen wasn't too sure that I needed it. In offroad pages the battery is registering 14.3v.

Jeep Gladiator Operation Genesis was a huge success IMG_1718.JPEG

Jeep Gladiator Operation Genesis was a huge success IMG_1717.JPEG

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 28696

OK, Thanks.
Am fabricating some flexible 8 ga. silicone insulated jumper wires to add to my NOCO GB40 Boost+ jump box kit to have all my bases covered "just in case".

DSCN4123E.jpg
My NOCO won't charge the Aux Start Stop Battery. I can get it started but once I take off the NOCO Booster the engine shuts off. So must be that the Aux Battery is no good but this is my second one in just a few months. If the vehicle sits a week or longer the Start Stop battery goes bad. I ordered the Dual Battery kit today just to try to eliminate the problem.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
After having to replace my Aux Start / Stop battery once a couple of months ago & now it's dead again. I ended up ordering the Genesis Dual Battery system today. My noco battery jump starts the JTR but when you remove it the engine stops and will not keep running. I assume my Start Stop Battery is ruined once again. My JTR hasn't moved in a couple of weeks, but I did start it a few days ago and got it up to 3,000 RPM for a bit. I went out and tried a couple of days ago and nothing dead as a doornail. Had to open my Jeep with the key. I have a KC Gravity light bar with the SPOD BANTAM-X it does have a 2 amp draw but I wouldn't think it would draw down the AUX battery so far that it ruins it where it won't take a jump or hold the charge. I hope this Genesis system works as advertised and I won't have this issue again. I also purchased two Fullriver Full Throttle Series Group 25 Batteries that work with this system. Haven't heard of these batteries before I hope they are good. I could have had it repaired again under warranty, but it would just happen again if it sits for too long, and they would blame after-market accessories, which they may not be wrong. It's just kind of bad that you have to keep pouring money into an expensive vehicle where it's systems should be more robust and handle some aftermarket accessories etc. I still love the Jeep Gladiator, but it is kind of frustrating.
Did you try to see why it died?
Granted, it doesn't matter now - but likely it was something like a blown fuse. They don't just "die" and doubt you had another bad battery.
If you have a draw, it draws down both batteries, not just the aux battery - so be aware - you could still have dead batteries after a few days if you have a power leech in the truck drawing power when it's off.
Both crank and aux batteries are connected together. Any parasitic draw will drain both - not just the aux battery.
So although I hope you have success - I do suggest you keep your eyes open - this saga may not be over. The positive thing is now you have some more capacity, depending on the batteries you are using now, so a parasitic drain may take longer to kill them.

If there's too much draw when these trucks are sitting - it does NOT take down only the aux battery. Both batteries are connected together when it's sitting.

The parasitic draw follows the green dashed lines here - and sucks the power out of both the aux and the crank battery. So if you leave something on - you kill BOTH batteries, not just the aux battery.
If you run 12v power to the bed to power a fridge - it kills both batteries.

Jeep Gladiator Operation Genesis was a huge success underhood battery power.PNG

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
Did he say he has a 2 amp draw? If that’s happening at rest (engine off) I think you identified the problem

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Did he say he has a 2 amp draw? If that’s happening at rest (engine off) I think you identified the problem
Yeah, 2 amps when the truck is off will kill batteries. So if they are pulling that much when the truck is off - there's an issue that will still be present unless you fill the truck bed with batteries.
I HOPE he meant "only when the lights are turned on".

Deleted member 28696

Did you try to see why it died?
Granted, it doesn't matter now - but likely it was something like a blown fuse. They don't just "die" and doubt you had another bad battery.
If you have a draw, it draws down both batteries, not just the aux battery - so be aware - you could still have dead batteries after a few days if you have a power leech in the truck drawing power when it's off.
Both crank and aux batteries are connected together. Any parasitic draw will drain both - not just the aux battery.
So although I hope you have success - I do suggest you keep your eyes open - this saga may not be over. The positive thing is now you have some more capacity, depending on the batteries you are using now, so a parasitic drain may take longer to kill them.

If there's too much draw when these trucks are sitting - it does NOT take down only the aux battery. Both batteries are connected together when it's sitting.

The parasitic draw follows the green dashed lines here - and sucks the power out of both the aux and the crank battery. So if you leave something on - you kill BOTH batteries, not just the aux battery.
If you run 12v power to the bed to power a fridge - it kills both batteries.

underhood battery power.PNG
I have a 2 amp parasitic draw from the BANTAMX SPOD by design. I believe it powers the LCD screen. I can pull that fuse but kind of defeats having an accessory controller. I would rather have a bigger battery where I’m hopefully not going to have this issue starting the vehicle. The bigger issue is once these small start stop batteries get drained too far they need replaced. My understanding of the genesis system is that it will only let your auxiliary battery get drained up to a certain point, then it will isolate the crank battery from the accessory battery. Allowing for the crank battery to start the engine. I’ll have to connect my SPOD to the accessory battery & my power steps so that if it isolates it will not continue to drain the cranking battery. You can also use a function on this system where it combines both batteries temporarily for a quick jump. It’s been shipped so I’ll let you know if it works.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2 amp parasitic draw from the BANTAMX SPOD by design. I believe it powers the LCD screen. I can pull that fuse but kind of defeats having an accessory controller. I would rather have a bigger battery where I’m hopefully not going to have this issue starting the vehicle. The bigger issue is once these small start stop batteries get drained too far they need replaced. My understanding of the genesis system is that it will only let your auxiliary battery get drained up to a certain point, then it will isolate the crank battery from the accessory battery. Allowing for the crank battery to start the engine. I’ll have to connect my SPOD to the accessory battery & my power steps so that if it isolates it will not continue to drain the cranking battery. You can also use a function on this system where it combines both batteries temporarily for a quick jump. It’s been shipped so I’ll let you know if it works.
So you can't blame the Jeep., Jeep's design, or the Jeep's batteries - you installed a battery killer.
Seriously, you will need to configure your new setup to isolate batteries like RV batteries are isolated. Jeep never intended to have that big a constant draw on things. And I'm surprised your control system didn't monitor the voltage and shut down when it reached a certain level. Many accessories these days do just that - if they see voltage dropping say to 12.2, they shut down.
With a system that's always on drawing a whopping amount of power like that, it really needs to be configured to stop pulling power when voltage sinks.
If the Genesis will do that, I strongly suggest you run the second battery as an isolated battery when off.

Deleted member 28696

So you can't blame the Jeep., Jeep's design, or the Jeep's batteries - you installed a battery killer.
Seriously, you will need to configure your new setup to isolate batteries like RV batteries are isolated. Jeep never intended to have that big a constant draw on things. And I'm surprised your control system didn't monitor the voltage and shut down when it reached a certain level. Many accessories these days do just that - if they see voltage dropping say to 12.2, they shut down.
With a system that's always on drawing a whopping amount of power like that, it really needs to be configured to stop pulling power when voltage sinks.
If the Genesis will do that, I strongly suggest you run the second battery as an isolated battery when off.
I’ve never had a battery just die and not take a charge that’s a flaw on Jeep & it’s design of the ESS start stop battery. If you look in the forums it’s well documented that these just die. Why do you think the Genesis systems exist? That’s the whole point of that system to isolate the crank from the accessories. SPODS and lights are not a new thing for Jeeps & they should expect customers to have them & design accordingly.

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
You would think SPOD would put a switch to completely shut off the unit for longer storage times. Apparently the BantamX does have a LVCO but it can be disabled, so maybe that was the issue.

Sponsored

Deleted member 28696

There is a 2 amp fuse which is according to SPOD you can remove that fuse to stop the parasitic draw on the battery while at rest. I did not place a tester on it to find out exactly how much the draw was. I had mentioned this in my original post so he did not identify the problem I already knew it was there since it was in the SPOD documentation. There was no blown fuse as he had suggested. After putting in the new battery system everything worked as it should no fuse replacement required. No doubt it was the batteries but I'm tired of dealing with the weak batteries that they supply & that are known to go bad every so often. At least this system will keep the accessories from draining the crank battery so you can at least still start the vehicle which will then recharge the auxiliary battery. I did not knowingly disable the LVCO on the SPOD , didn't even know it existed. Didn't mess with anything in regard to that functionality.

I did check it out and the LVCO bypass requires a Jumper wire which I didn't install.

From the SPOD instructions:
INPUT 1: Use this input to disable the low voltage cut off by attaching 12/24v from a positive power feed. This will override the LVCO.

Deleted member 28696

Yeah, 2 amps when the truck is off will kill batteries. So if they are pulling that much when the truck is off - there's an issue that will still be present unless you fill the truck bed with batteries.
I HOPE he meant "only when the lights are turned on".
There's a 2 amp fuse that you can pull which will stop the parasitic draw according to SPOD's installation instructions. I assumed it was a 2 amp draw since it's a 2-amp fuse but that was incorrect. I did not put a tester on it to see what the actual draw is. The old batteries may take a trickle charge who knows, I'm just tired of the frequency that I'm having to deal with dead batteries, and I needed a more robust system regardless. There are times that I don't drive the vehicle for a week, or two & I don't want to have this issue each and every time. I'd expect them to be a bit low, but they should take a jump. After replacing the batteries with the Full Throttle AGM batteries everything is working again. The fuses were fine, we will see if this genesis system solves the issue or if it's something else. The SPOD does have a Low voltage cut off so I'm not sure if it's the SPOD causing the issue. The LVCO requires a jumper wire to bypass which I did not install.
Sponsored