Sponsored

Our Q&A / FAQ from Jeep Gladiator debut at LA Auto Show

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Was there any conversation about the Offroad + button above the swaybar disconnect?

Wondering exactly what is changes while in 4hi and 4lo? Throttle response, steering...etc.
Sponsored

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Was there any conversation about the Offroad + button above the swaybar disconnect?

Wondering exactly what is changes while in 4hi and 4lo? Throttle response, steering...etc.
Check out the video post in the thread "pics with the soft top down (not off)? The head of Jeep brand talks about it a bit.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bitchin' Schwinn
I just saw a video that shows how the rag top opens manually. Would be great if they offered that power opening Sunrider version like they have on a normal Wrangler. I have seen many normal Wranglers with the rag tops folded open just on the top and the rags are just blowing open in the wind. Would not happen with the Sunrider version as it’s so many smaller folds in the top. And in that video I did see 2 rear drink holders on the rear floor and 2 other ones in the rear arm rest.

So just offer the Sunrider version and a glass rear window in that rag top and then I would be totally sold on a rag top version.

Really need to wait until someone comes out with a hard top tonneau cover so I can lock things up good and secure in the bed of the truck.
Just to clarify for you: Sunrider is the name for the soft top (position) itself, as in when the soft top is just folded back over the passenger compartment. Sky One-touch ($3995 option) is the name for the power retractable soft top that pulls back into folds and still has the glass side windows (on the JL) and retains the glass hatch window (on the JL) which would presumably become the glass backglass/porthole on the JT.
In my opinion, you're right, the Sky One-touch makes even more sense on the JT than it does on the JL.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
So does this mean an actual locking diff, or are they referencing the limited slip differential here?
Unfortunately, it sounds like the latter- there's an optional Trac-lock available for non-Rubicon JT's (and JLs).
Also looks like the Max Tow, which gives you wide 4.10 axles is restricted to the Automatic. It makes for a perfect starting point for those who want to put their JT on 35's, but don't see the need for all the tech on the Rubicon.

Sponsored

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
do you know the dimensions between the wheel arches?
Spilled onto the next page- "Distance between wheel arches- 44.8" " Pretty standard for the segment. Only the Ridgeline has 48" between the wheel wells, because the tires don't articulate (if you can even use that term) in an arc, but straight up and down.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
Several questions here:

For the hard top versions I am wondering if you can stow the removable panels behind the rear seats.

Looks like you can’t get navigation on a Sport or a Sport S, correct?QUOTE]

Not going to fit freedom panels behind the seat- the latches that hold the seatback in place just about trisect that surface, so even if there were room, they still wouldn't fit.
The spec sheet sure looks that way about the Nav- you'll have to settle for Google maps or Waze via Car Play or android Auto.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Unfortunately, it sounds like the latter- there's an optional Trac-lock available for non-Rubicon JT's (and JLs).
Also looks like the Max Tow, which gives you wide 4.10 axles is restricted to the Automatic. It makes for a perfect starting point for those who want to put their JT on 35's, but don't see the need for all the tech on the Rubicon.
I'm normally a "buy the best" with a big purchase,but outfitting a sport s JL vs a Rubicon JL, it's like $8000 more. I'm going to have to really think this time. I don't rock crawl or go on crazy off road trails. I'd love to, but don't really know if that hobby will ever happen for me. Might be worth saving the money for the next vehicle I buy after the Gladiator.... Hopefully a second Gen gladiator.

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Just to clarify for you: Sunrider is the name for the soft top (position) itself, as in when the soft top is just folded back over the passenger compartment. Sky One-touch ($3995 option) is the name for the power retractable soft top that pulls back into folds and still has the glass side windows (on the JL) and retains the glass hatch window (on the JL) which would presumably become the glass backglass/porthole on the JT.
In my opinion, you're right, the Sky One-touch makes even more sense on the JT than it does on the JL.
Thanks for your comments. I think I will have to wait until I see this thing on person before I decided on a rag top or on a hard top. Need to see an opened up rag top with the top folded back on the roof and going highway speed to see if the top blows open like it does on the current Wranglers or to see if it stays well folded down. It stays well down with the Sky One Touch. Also want to see if the rag top has a glass rear window or if it’s plastic like normal Wranglers. Also want to see if there will be any way to put the 2 removeable roof panels behind the back seat or if they will have to be put into the bed of the truck. May end up going with a hard top. And finally I think that Mopar should offer bed steps at the left and right rear end to make it easy to step into and out of the bed of the truck. My humble opinion.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I'm normally a "buy the best" with a big purchase,but outfitting a sport s JL vs a Rubicon JL, it's like $8000 more. I'm going to have to really think this time. I don't rock crawl or go on crazy off road trails. I'd love to, but don't really know if that hobby will ever happen for me. Might be worth saving the money for the next vehicle I buy after the Gladiator.... Hopefully a second Gen gladiator.
Exactly this. I don't need the Rubicon exclusives because I don't crawl (and wouldn't in a truck this long anyway.) Front/Rear lockers aren't necessary when my LSD works fine. Electronic sway bar disconnect, again not needed. There are some quality of life features in the Rubicon, but most can be had on the Sport S. All that being said, to look at the Rubicon... it's dead sexy! I'll just buy the hood and high clearance fenders from JPP/Mopar and have the same look though. Aftermarket suspension will come along and be better. Aftermarket bumpers will come along and be better. I am having a harder time justifying the Rubicon as each day passes.

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Exactly this. I don't need the Rubicon exclusives because I don't crawl (and wouldn't in a truck this long anyway.) Front/Rear lockers aren't necessary when my LSD works fine. Electronic sway bar disconnect, again not needed. There are some quality of life features in the Rubicon, but most can be had on the Sport S. All that being said, to look at the Rubicon... it's dead sexy! I'll just buy the hood and high clearance fenders from JPP/Mopar and have the same look though. Aftermarket suspension will come along and be better. Aftermarket bumpers will come along and be better. I am having a harder time justifying the Rubicon as each day passes.
Totally thought this. Save $8,000, buy new fenders, hood, bumpers, wheels, lift. I think there are few options the Rubicon had that the sport s didn't. Led lighting being the biggest.

Resale of Rubicon is probably higher, but you can get a ton of new aftermarket parts for $8,000.

Wraith

First Name
Wraith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU my 19th Jeep
Completely agree with the Sport S/Rubicon observation. Once I saw the Sport S can be had with the max tow package and it has a lot of the features I want I am less certain I will be buying a Rubicon. It really depends how I see myself using it to justify the extra spend. Being as the max tow package has the mold-in-color two piece fender flares (exactly the same wordage from the Rubicon's playbook) I wonder if they are going to be wider and taller or just wider to accommodate for the extra track width.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Completely agree with the Sport S/Rubicon observation. Once I saw the Sport S can be had with the max tow package and it has a lot of the features I want I am less certain I will be buying a Rubicon. It really depends how I see myself using it to justify the extra spend. Being as the max tow package has the mold-in-color two piece fender flares (exactly the same wordage from the Rubicon's playbook) I wonder if they are going to be wider and taller or just wider to accommodate for the extra track width.
see I like the black fenders with black top look, so I might just be fine with the sport s fenders. At least long enough for an after market option to convince me to change em.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
CBeing as the max tow package has the mold-in-color two piece fender flares (exactly the same wordage from the Rubicon's playbook) I wonder if they are going to be wider and taller or just wider to accommodate for the extra track width.
Oh I didn't see anything about the color matched fenders coming with the Max Tow, was that on the spec sheet? I hadn't even considered that the fenders would need to be bigger for the wider axle... but it makes sense.

Wraith

First Name
Wraith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU my 19th Jeep
Oh I didn't see anything about the color matched fenders coming with the Max Tow, was that on the spec sheet? I hadn't even considered that the fenders would need to be bigger for the wider axle... but it makes sense.
Eternus, the mold-in-color two piece flares are black not colored like the name would imply. Seems a bit odd but that is what is on the base Rubicon spec sheet and the only place I could find that terminology used. My guess is they are Rubicon width with the standard height to provide adequate tire coverage with the wide track axles. Cool stuff!
Sponsored